MG4 Long Range Battery Charging

MIA

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hello,
We have recently purchased an MG4 EV Long range vehicle and have had a tethered Zappi fitted at home. We have noticed over the past several weeks that when we charge the car to 100% we have a vast reduction in the estimated range on the onboard screen from 262 miles down to 219 miles. The car has been back to the main dealer today and they have said that there is nothing wrong with the battery and they are raising the issue with MG.
Has anyone else experienced the same problem?

might be worth asking this on the MG4 forum?

Usual things with an EV though, you won't get the claimed 275 miles in the winter... 220 is a much more realistic figure for low temperature and crappy weather driving. Plus as the car is new, it is getting used to your driving style to allow it to more "accurately predict" your mileage.

Give the trip counters a reset and let it charge overnight and you should see an increase, but in the winter do not expect anything above 230 on the LR versions...

The estimated range is completely down to how you drive. So if you do a long trip on the motorway doing 70mph, the day after it'll say low estimate next time.

If you drive at 30mph on average and easy driving the day after a full charge would say more as it estimates I believe on your last drive or atleast since you last charged it. Not totally sure but its pretty much it but i'm sure someone will correct me.

It must be one of those two rather than all time total average, since resetting the trip(s) resets the GOM to the WLTP figures. (I'm sure I've read someone else experiencing that).

Hi,
Thanks for your replies, when we collected the car we were told by the salesman to leave the regen in HIGH mode, the service dept has now told us that we must drive the car in ADAPTIVE mode, but everytime you switch off the car it resets back to HIGH.

everytime you switch off the car it resets back to HIGH.

It's a "feature" that MG may, or may not, address when they feel like it and may, or may not, apply retrospectively to existing cars.

I suggest that you have to learn to live with it.

The car will revert to a standard setting as BugEyed stated. It can be annoying but it can be set up on the steering wheel toggle I believe to making changing it easier

Siteguru and AdamMGEV

My current is 3.8 which is used to provide the GOM figure. If I nip down to Tesco and back the kwh used displayed is 3.1 but the GOM estimate is still based on the 3.8 and so is the overall efficiency . However the GOM must factor distance/time average into its equation because over a longer journey it will change up and down but it takes a while to change accordingly. So yes not based on every single trip but other factors which could be either time or mileage or both or average over either or both.....never bothered to get into the meat of it to be honest, feel free

To be honest I leave regen on High, and have learned to "feather" the throttle if I wish to limit the regen in any given circumstance.

I used to be a massive fan of regen 3 until I watched I think a youtube video or maybe this forums podcast thing of someone testing 3 vs adaptive and they got much higher efficiency on adaptive.

So then i tried adaptive and must say it's quite good and provides a much smoother drive. i think its a good mix.

It's a "feature" that MG may, or may not, address when they feel like it and may, or may not, apply retrospectively to existing cars.

I suggest that you have to learn to live with it.
My understanding is that WLTP testing requires the driving mode resets to defaults on each drive.

Edit: I believe these rules were brought in for ICE cars and still apply to EVs. They are intended to stop
manufacturers cheating with special eco modes.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back