MG4 Range

All batteries require balancing due to the fact they're made up of individual cells connected together, due to how they're connected the same cells are constantly the first to be topped up and discharged in a battery, so balancing makes sure that the voltage across all cells is equalised to prevent voltage strain within the pack.

As increased discrepancy in voltages across cells can cause strain to the lower charged cells and cause failure over a period of time.

LFP batteries should be 100% charged and balanced atleast once a week due to how they hold their voltage and how the BMS has to try and keep track of the state of charge (SOC). LFP is also able to be charged to 100% without degrading the battery and has a 100% depth of discharge (DOD) rating, meaning you can take it to 0% without degrading the battery.

Where as NMC and NCA should he kept between 20 - 80% as much as possible with once a month balancing the cells just to keep the BMS tracking accurately. Voltage stress only happens at the 100% end of a cells charge range which is why LFP should be balanced and not just taken to 100%, occasionally not balancing won't hurt.

With NCA and NMC the reason for the 20-80% charge range is due to these batteries only having an 80% DOD range before you begin degrading the cells of the battery due to how the chemistry works in the battery.

NMC and NCA batteries are usually rated for around 500-1000 complete charge cycles, LFP are rated for usually 4000-10000 complete charge cycles depending on the manufacturer
Thanks for that. We are looking to order an SE in the next couple of weeks. The car will only really be used by me on a 4 day (Mon - Thurs) work commute at 50 miles round trip per day. I very much doubt if any of my charging will be high speed public network as it will just be home-work-home. As I have based everything pretty much on using a 7kw wall charger at home, I don't really see any reason to buy anything other than a SR SE for my first stab at EV ownership. We test drove a SR in Dynamic red and it had pretty much everything on it I would need especially considering that i'm currently driving a 2016 Kia Sportage diesel which doesn't even have Android Auto. Would I like a Trophy..... Yes, but probably only if it were mid priced as a SR version rather than only as a LR version. Anyway, thanks for the info.

Well Remarkable1967, with these two post above this and below yours i will guess you now understand and have an answer to your query I couldn’t do anything better so my I say a big thank you to Ayoull and Jomarth for there response under your question.
Les

Well Remarkable1967, with these two post above this and below yours i will guess you now understand and have an answer to your query I couldn’t do anything better so my I say a big thank you to Ayoull and Jomarth for there response under your question.
Les
Many thanks guys. I must admit I have found the battery cell type subject quite confusing. Seems I was simply overthinking it to be honest.
Ta..... Mark

Thanks for that. We are looking to order an SE in the next couple of weeks. The car will only really be used by me on a 4 day (Mon - Thurs) work commute at 50 miles round trip per day. I very much doubt if any of my charging will be high speed public network as it will just be home-work-home. As I have based everything pretty much on using a 7kw wall charger at home, I don't really see any reason to buy anything other than a SR SE for my first stab at EV ownership. We test drove a SR in Dynamic red and it had pretty much everything on it I would need especially considering that i'm currently driving a 2016 Kia Sportage diesel which doesn't even have Android Auto. Would I like a Trophy..... Yes, but probably only if it were mid priced as a SR version rather than only as a LR version. Anyway, thanks for the info.
Hi you will be fine with that car just the same as I got for my wife about six weeks ago, and same colour as well, she loves the car I do too it’s not perfect in anyway the range in these colder months is not great for longer journeys but apart from the cost all she wanted was to use it for day to day running around probably 150 per week and not having to worry how to charge the batteries as she can just plug it in and forget about it, the Trophy version for me at over £5000 more is over priced for what we needed and the SE SR is a bit of a bargain I think you will agree, your 50 miles or so day trip will not be an issue and summertime is just around the corner and then I think the range will go well up as it gets warmer for sure, have said that today I drove it around 195 miles and only charged it once for around 30 minutes on the M40 started at 100% 187 miles available so topped it up around 28kws and ended the journey with 23 kw still left in the battery so not to bad around 3.3 per kWh at speeds of 60-65 mph most of which motorways M6 m5 m40.
Les.

Just thought to open up this thread to discuss the range of MG4 cars.
Anyone noticed that MG4 range is significantly down. I have MG4 Trophy and its only showing 220miles after 100% charge. Anyone experiencing similar issue?

If anyone know settings which will increase the range, please reply.

Many Thanks
Our Trophy is also showing 220 miles typically, at 100% charge. Since we've had the MG4 (23rd Dec) we've been doing a mix of driving, with mostly round-town and A-roads. We use normal mode exclusively, as we've never needed the full range yet (two 120 mile journeys are the longest so far). For those with home charging, range only becomes an issue if you need to go more than the displayed distance in a single leg. I suppose it's more of an issue if you can't charge at home and therefore rely on public charging exclusively. We also have a Kia e-Niro, which has a similar size battery to the MG4, but gets consistently longer range. It seems the MG4 (Trophy) is less effecient - I wonder if it's that useless spoiler!?

Last edited:
Hi All,
I hope you don’t mind me chipping in on the MG4 Range thread (I have recently taken receipt of a ZS Trophy LR (72 plate) and I am a EV virgin), but just wanted to put in my ‘two pennies worth’ on range issues, consumption and charging. I will reign in my use of !&? 😉
I got my ZS delivered in the recent cold snap (currently just shy of 500 miles of driving) and had the shock of my life on my first journey in it. Attempted a 120 round trip along the hilly, but reasonably fast flowing roads of West Wales, in an average of minus 3. Heaters on 22c & no.4 , wipers, music, in Eco on with regen 3. Battery at 96% and estimated range left of 167. After 90 miles, and literally in the middle of nowhere, my battery went below 20%. 🤦
By complete luck there was a community charger about 4 miles away. Hour and a half later I had enough charge to make the final 25 miles home. Suffice to say I thought I’d made a horrific mistake going for an electric.
My ICE was a 15 year old diesel Citroen C5, and contrary to what many notice in their ICE cars, mine never did anything different mpg wise no matter what the weather. I’ve owned it 4 years done over 40k miles and the readout mpg (and actual calculated top up) has me at 52mpg give or take. Freezing cold, heaters flat out, as heavy footed as I like. So the vast swing in ‘range’ that EV’s clearly have (and which appears to be an almost dirty secret) is shocking. But through pouring over this forum, I now at least understand why.
My first 500 miles in the ZS has been at about 3-3.2, but what is unnerving is how quickly the battery percentage and GOM can dissipate on a journey. It says 137 miles/67%, you do 40 mile trip, four up in 8c in the wind and the rain, mixed town/ motorway and get back with 30miles and 20%. It just wrecks your confidence.
However, I’ve just done my third balance charge from low % to 100 using Zappi home (never used a fast charger) and am noticing an improvement in the GOM each time. Last two balance chargers have been conducted in similar temp around 7-8c and over the three range has gone from 180 to
192 to 208. I’m yet to see if I actually see anything like this yet (second 120 miler got me home with 38%).
Anyway, sorry, this has turned into an essay, but just wanted to say I feel the frustration of those seeing significantly less returns than we’re lead to believe might occur. Having an EV is so starkly different from an ICE it’s hard to think of a comparison. Don’t get me wrong, I love the car, it is, and will be for next 20 months, vastly cheaper to run (£12 for 200 miles elec compared to £30 for the same with derv - home charging obvs), but I am not confident yet.
All I’d say is I'm going to keep doing longer runs and balance charging in the hope this provides a more stable and predictable range vs GOM. Also, someone mentioned using either Eco or Eco+ to achieve balance charging on a Zappi. I think this maybe incorrect. These settings only are relevant to balance out charge vs draw within home or when balancing charge where solar is involved. Fast is the setting for Zappi. The car does the rest. See pic.
Massive thanks for the invaluable info on the forum. Cheers.
Happy New Year by the way!
F409D698-B713-4E42-B663-CA6A59630147.png

Last edited:
I sometimes see an advertisement for drive-electric on this forum which leases electric cars, so out of interest I clicked on the site and the main thing that caught my eye is their real world range estimates for cars. Here are the ones for the MG4 models. The figures for the SE long range and Trophy are the same.

From their website, “There are a variety of factors that impact an electric vehicle’s range, chief of which is the outside temperature. This is why at DriveElectric, we not only provide an average ‘real-world’ range, but mileage estimates for both Winter and Summer, too.”
97F8A366-1D8D-424C-A71A-D300E39F14CA.png
6690C163-DAB3-44FB-98E9-F93B06D10F39.png
423A3606-B246-4FE5-BA0B-41ECDFFF0721.png

Pretty similar figures to the EV database UK ones

Hi there,

Just posted the first part of this question in the ZS ‘LR or SR’ thread, but have also come here with a bit of an expanded question as I am still perplexed as to the returns I’m getting versus charge. Again, I know this is the MG4 (and I’m asking about the ZS) but I’m hoping it’s still relevant.

Can anyone tell me exactly how you identify whether the car is SR or LR? I apparently have had a 72 LR Trophy but I can’t seem to limit my charge to 80% on the slider on app or in car? None of the paperwork I received denotes one or other. I can’t find anything (that I understand) which provides that info on plate in drivers door or under bonnet.

I am confused as, even getting 3.6mkwh on the journey last night (pre warmed and in 10c, 30-40mph roads, ) I’m using 26% of battery. I may just be being dull but minus the the initial charge the car came with I’ve done just over 500 miles with 120 kw in via zappi (from 35, 65, 57 & 30%- x3 to 100% and one to 80% - manual stop) and full granny charge (first one from 20% due to malfunctioning zappi). Plus a couple of small morning charges when prewarming but very nominal.

My returns were averaging about 3-3.2 and in milder last few days 3.5-3.6. However the best the GOM has shown is 208 eco, 199 in Normal last night and arrived home with 74% and 141 left. So it’s not so much the real world I’m getting that’s weirding me out. But the range the car is providing based on the mkwh I’m apparently achieving. Does that make sense?

Just wondering whether the lease company has provided me with an SR Trophy and apposed to the LR I ordered? Or am I talking rubbish?

Pleas put me out of my misery. Awake till 4am trawling the Forum!

Hi there,

Just posted the first part of this question in the ZS ‘LR or SR’ thread, but have also come here with a bit of an expanded question as I am still perplexed as to the returns I’m getting versus charge. Again, I know this is the MG4 (and I’m asking about the ZS) but I’m hoping it’s still relevant.

Can anyone tell me exactly how you identify whether the car is SR or LR? I apparently have had a 72 LR Trophy but I can’t seem to limit my charge to 80% on the slider on app or in car? None of the paperwork I received denotes one or other. I can’t find anything (that I understand) which provides that info on plate in drivers door or under bonnet.

I am confused as, even getting 3.6mkwh on the journey last night (pre warmed and in 10c, 30-40mph roads, ) I’m using 26% of battery. I may just be being dull but minus the the initial charge the car came with I’ve done just over 500 miles with 120 kw in via zappi (from 35, 65, 57 & 30%- x3 to 100% and one to 80% - manual stop) and full granny charge (first one from 20% due to malfunctioning zappi). Plus a couple of small morning charges when prewarming but very nominal.

My returns were averaging about 3-3.2 and in milder last few days 3.5-3.6. However the best the GOM has shown is 208 eco, 199 in Normal last night and arrived home with 74% and 141 left. So it’s not so much the real world I’m getting that’s weirding me out. But the range the car is providing based on the mkwh I’m apparently achieving. Does that make sense?

Just wondering whether the lease company has provided me with an SR Trophy and apposed to the LR I ordered? Or am I talking rubbish?

Pleas put me out of my misery. Awake till 4am trawling the Forum!
If you go into MG ismart app, and click your cars name at the top of the screen on remote control, you should get something like the attached.

Under model mine says 51 which is the battery size, I imagine the ZS will be the same and list the battery size in the model number.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230101-114320.png
    Screenshot_20230101-114320.png
    302.5 KB · Views: 84
Is yours the facelift version? According to the website the long range should have a 73kWh battery pack ... the standard range has a 51kWh pack (like the SE SR MG4).

Edit: your screenshot shows Model Year 2021 so it's not the facelift version.

Last edited:
If you go into MG ismart app, and click your cars name at the top of the screen on remote control, you should get something like the attached.

Under model mine says 51 which is the battery size, I imagine the ZS will be the same and list the battery size in the model number.
Mine just says MG4 Electric on that screen. (It also says Andes Grey rather than Camden Grey, but hey ho). :)

If I go to the Digital Key screen I can see EH32-X2 51

Yes it’s the facelift version. MG’s site shows
You can get the Trophy now in SR and LR. When I ordered in February I’m sure it was basically SE in SR or LR and Trophy and Connect were only in LR.

It only ever shows 199/200 in normal. Never any higher despite reset both trips and then doing a balance charge to 100%. Again, I’m getting 3.5-3.6 but still using over 25% in ostensibly town mixed driving in reasonably mild conditions.

Mine just says MG4 Electric on that screen. (It also says Andes Grey rather than Camden Grey, but hey ho). :)

If I go to the Digital Key screen I can see EH32-X2 51
Odd mine shows EH32-X2 51 as the model opposed to MG4 🤣

It only ever shows 199/200 in normal. Never any higher despite reset both trips and then doing a balance charge to 100%. Again, I’m getting 3.5-3.6 but still using over 25% in ostensibly town mixed driving in reasonably mild conditions.

Try going to the digital key as that's where the model number shows for @siteguru you do that through the profile part of the ismart app

Just to add, when I phoned the local dealer (just down road…not supplier though) they couldn’t find my car on the MG system when searching the number plate. The guy told me quite matter of factly that it was a LR as they only do the Trophy in LR, however, you appear to be able to purchase an SR Trophy currently from MG. Sorry, as I know this is now going ‘off thread’

Thanks for trying to help. Digital key shows this. I’m one up on both of you as at least this says I have a ZS!0B40B43A-B5E4-466B-B50A-B4386283201A.png

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back