MG4 Range

Edit to my journey above #417 What did it cost.
So rounding the numbers up.

Left home fully charged, so home to Corley Services 100 miles 60% of battery used let’s say 35 KW @ 0.20kw my tariff at home = £7.00
Charged at Corley 40-81% cost £12.40 added 19.1kw approximately
Charge at Keele services on the way back £3.61 add 5.5kw approximately
So cost of journey was £7.00 + £12.40 + £3.61=£23.01
A diesel car doing 50mpg to do the same trip would need around 4 gallons of diesel at lets say £1.75 per litre =£7.96 per gallon X 4 gallon = £31.80.

So MG4 EV still wins even when having to use Motorway charge points at the currant charge of 0.66p PKW re Gridserve prices.
209 miles
MG4 SE SR = £23.01
iCE at 50 mpg = £31.80
All figures are approximate and rounded-up.
Les
As usual Les, a very interesting and informative post. Did you log the average miles/kw?

Its £1.56l where I get my diesel so that journey would've cost me £28.40. That is still nigh on a 25% saving but I'll be trying to get my 45,000 miles allowance done as fast as possible as my fixed rate electric goes up sep 24

We are planning to go to Scotland from Southampton.
Based on your figures, and my Octavia doing 50mpg, if the price of diesel drops by the summer then it may be cheaper to use that than the MG5.
Yeh Jomarth I agree the rapid chargers I used on this trip are as far as I know are the cheapest on the motorway networks today Gridserve at 0.66p, and I only did 209 miles in total on this trip but yeh the further you go the more expensive an EV at these prices has become.
I loved my Skoda Superb estate and my Octiva estates before that very often could get well over 50 mpg without trying, but I made he move to the EV world when the MG5 was first released my lord was it different then, free charging all over the place and incentives galore from Government and car dealers but as the saying goes what comes around goes around and there no way I’m going back to iCE, day to day work and running around charging at home it’s still the way to go and far cheaper than ICE if you can of course, sadly not everyone can and probably it will be that way for a long long time to come but I do believe the EV will come out on top in the long run.
Les

As usual Les, a very interesting and informative post. Did you log the average miles/kw?
Sorry buster no I didn’t but I’m sure someone here will work it out, this is one thing that as always annoyed me with the MGs that when doing a journey, when you stop and the vehicle is turned off for a while probably best part of a couple of hours the currant journey figures are lost I know there’s the accumulated counter but that’s not the same for me and I never reset ether of them.
Les

Sorry buster no I didn’t but I’m sure someone here will work it out, this is one thing that as always annoyed me with the MGs that when doing a journey, when you stop and the vehicle is turned off for a while probably best part of a couple of hours the currant journey figures are lost I know there’s the accumulated counter but that’s not the same for me and I never reset ether of them.
Les
No worries but thank you.

Don't suppose that you were in the RAF?

Yeh buster sorry not me but I have flown a plane it was a present birthday around 1982 in a light aircraft with an instructor from Liverpool airport Speak it was called then,and we flew from there to Caernarfon in north Wales it was fantastic.

once in the air the instructor gave me the controls an said there you go few along the Menai Strait at about 2/300 feet up took about 30 minutes and then the instructor landed it we got out had a coffee and then a bit later few back what a day the highlight of which was as we where flying along the Menai we got a message on the radio from RAF Valley which is on Anglesey not to far away, they was asking for ID and as we where taking to them on the radio, an RAF Tornado appear right along side of my window and then when I looked across to the instructor there was one on his side as well I went shit what’s going on and the instructor said it happens a lot and they are just checking us out as we where getting close to the RAF base it was about the time of the Falklands war I felt like Tom Cruise in top gun never forget that one it was Magic as they say

Did another one a few years later in a Glider over Yorkshire and when we where getting ready to go out came this parachute and again I said shit what’s going on
Wasn’t that keen on the Glider to be honest perfect a motor myself.
Les.

Trophy long run yesterday 80% motorway 20% twisty A roads and town driving. On eco with the power save on. ACC and adaptive regen. Was getting 2.8 mpkw at 70. Dropped back to 65 and got 3.3 mpkwh overall. Heat set to 22°C. Fan on 3. Headlights on and music playing. Two on board. Outside temp 6°C and about 75% of the drive in the rain with wet roads. Is that pretty much normal what others are getting?

Trophy long run yesterday 80% motorway 20% twisty A roads and town driving. On eco with the power save on. ACC and adaptive regen. Was getting 2.8 mpkw at 70. Dropped back to 65 and got 3.3 mpkwh overall. Heat set to 22°C. Fan on 3. Headlights on and music playing. Two on board. Outside temp 6°C and about 75% of the drive in the rain with wet roads. Is that pretty much normal what others are getting?
Yep - anything over 3 is pretty good in those conditions on that type of journey.

Edit to my journey above #417 What did it cost.
So rounding the numbers up.

Left home fully charged, so home to Corley Services 100 miles 60% of battery used let’s say 35 KW @ 0.20kw my tariff at home = £7.00
Charged at Corley 40-81% cost £12.40 added 19.1kw approximately
Charge at Keele services on the way back £3.61 add 5.5kw approximately
So cost of journey was £7.00 + £12.40 + £3.61=£23.01
A diesel car doing 50mpg to do the same trip would need around 4 gallons of diesel at lets say £1.75 per litre =£7.96 per gallon X 4 gallon = £31.80.

So MG4 EV still wins even when having to use Motorway charge points at the currant charge of 0.66p PKW re Gridserve prices.
209 miles
MG4 SE SR = £23.01
iCE at 50 mpg = £31.80
All figures are approximate and rounded-up.
Les
Not sure I quite agree with your ice figures, if a comparable sized diesel car is used to calculate the cost it makes the margin much smaller…..golf 2.0 tdi (1.6tdi more economical) has a real world average of 50mpg (honest John website) as that is an average and VW quote 67 it is not unreasonable to expect 60 mpg. When I travel from Shropshire to York in an A3 1.4tfsi I always get 56mpg, a diesel will be better.
Based on 55mpg and diesel at £1.60ltr (current price Shrewsbury)
200 mile / 55 = 3.6 gallon, cost of diesel gallon £7.20. Journey cost £26, much closer to the ev cost, at 60mpg there is nothing in it. Journey in the A3 petrol…
Petrol cost 1.395ltr or £6.28. Journey cost £22.60, cheaper than ev.
When electricity increases from 53pkw to 92pkw in April I expect rapid chargers will add the extra 40p to the average 70pkw, this is going to make a long journey in an ev really expensive in comparison to an ice.
Of course where an ev wins is in urban driving even when the cost of overnight charging increases you will still be better off but it will be a close run thing with a hybrid.
The best thing though is that pollution is removed from the urban environment and moved to the power stations where it can be more easily dealt with.

Not all power generation is polluting of course. Typical wind power makes up to 40% of UK power and Nuclear a further 16%.
But that was not your mail point I accept. And of course there are significant lower pollution benefits. Especially less diesel soot.
The price of electricity is dropping and will eventually feed into the price we pay. Hopefully.

Receiving my MG4 Trophy on 6th Jan I spent the first week flabbergasted at the low m/kwh I was getting. Only showing 2 m/kwh. I read through this full thread, over several sittings, and came away with the acceptance that time of year, short drives etc was the explanation seeing as a few others were also in the same boat. I resigned myself to waiting for it to improve in the spring.

Yesterday I was playing with the infotainment system and came across the pie chart showing where the power was being used. Since last charge it was showing 18 kwh powering the drive motor and 18 kwh powering other things such as a/c lights etc. I thought this 50/50 split couldn't be right so further delved and found the intelligent battery heating switched on. I can't remember ever switching this on. Anyway switched it off and immediately heard a slight noise go quiet that I didn't even realise was there.

The drive home from work an hour later showed 3.4 m/kwh and this morning the drive into work 3.5 m/kwh. Eight mile drive.

This may have been mentioned in previous posts and I missed it but I certainly didn't miss other people also seeing efficiency down in the 2 m/kwh range so worth a check if your one still getting this.

Thought it worth a post even if it helps just one other.

Da
Receiving my MG4 Trophy on 6th Jan I spent the first week flabbergasted at the low m/kwh I was getting. Only showing 2 m/kwh. I read through this full thread, over several sittings, and came away with the acceptance that time of year, short drives etc was the explanation seeing as a few others were also in the same boat. I resigned myself to waiting for it to improve in the spring.

Yesterday I was playing with the infotainment system and came across the pie chart showing where the power was being used. Since last charge it was showing 18 kwh powering the drive motor and 18 kwh powering other things such as a/c lights etc. I thought this 50/50 split couldn't be right so further delved and found the intelligent battery heating switched on. I can't remember ever switching this on. Anyway switched it off and immediately heard a slight noise go quiet that I didn't even realise was there.

The drive home from work an hour later showed 3.4 m/kwh and this morning the drive into work 3.5 m/kwh. Eight mile drive.

This may have been mentioned in previous posts and I missed it but I certainly didn't miss other people also seeing efficiency down in the 2 m/kwh range so worth a check if your one still getting this.

Dam right it’s worth a post it has been post before about this and when I checked ours it was on also, along with LKA so both where switched off on day one.
learning about both was due to reading these forums but as you saying it can be hit and miss as to if you get to see it so your dam right to post it in my opinion
Les

Yes definitely worth posting.

Not all power generation is polluting of course. Typical wind power makes up to 40% of UK power and Nuclear a further 16%.
But that was not your mail point I accept. And of course there are significant lower pollution benefits. Especially less diesel soot.
The price of electricity is dropping and will eventually feed into the price we pay. Hopefully.
Unfortunately our suppliers are tied into contracts (hedging) which sets the price for at least a year, so electricity is only going to get more expensive, the peak is April and then it gradually falls over the year but not to levels before the pandemic. The industry are stating 80pkw from Oct 2023. Suppliers that have only hedged for a year will be in a position to then offer cheaper prices but it is also at that point when the price cap comes to an end, it’s nothing but financial pain for everyone!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 506 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back