MG4 Range

Hey Ayoull, thanks for the detective work. And indeed siteguru it looks like they’ve given me the wrong car. Below is a snapshot of the order made on my lease agreement. I won’t bore you with shots of the dozens of other bits of paperwork that evidence the ordering of, and confirmation for, a LR Trophy. Now begins the potential
nightmare of getting this sorted out!
Cheers both,
168BCD0E-6224-428B-A3A1-E84DC36233CB.png

Yes, that's it.
Coffee cup symbol is the usual irritant icon that comes up all the time. The yellow triangle stating drowsiness "fault" as just started today on mine. Had the car 3 months. Very irritating, considering dealer stated no software update last week after being on diagnostics. Still on R29, can longer disable audible warnings for drowsiness, or switch it off completely :mad:

Coffee cup symbol is the usual irritant icon that comes up all the time. The yellow triangle stating drowsiness "fault" as just started today on mine. Had the car 3 months. Very irritating, considering dealer stated no software update last week after being on diagnostics. Still on R29, can longer disable audible warnings for drowsiness, or switch it off completely :mad:
Since mine has had the drowsiness fault I've not been able to disable audible warnings either, which I could originally. But I don't get any audible warnings so it's not a problem. In fact I find it better than when the warning message was popping up all the time!

Since mine has had the drowsiness fault I've not been able to disable audible warnings either, which I could originally. But I don't get any audible warnings so it's not a problem. In fact I find it better than when the warning message was popping up all the time!
True, probably is better, thankfully no warning sounds.

Just thought to open up this thread to discuss the range of MG4 cars.
Anyone noticed that MG4 range is significantly down. I have MG4 Trophy and its only showing 220miles after 100% charge. Anyone experiencing similar issue?

If anyone know settings which will increase the range, please reply.

Many Thanks
Just 100% charged mine overnight. 212 mile range. Disappointing 😞.

Just thought to open up this thread to discuss the range of MG4 cars.
Anyone noticed that MG4 range is significantly down. I have MG4 Trophy and its only showing 220miles after 100% charge. Anyone experiencing similar issue?

If anyone know settings which will increase the range, please reply.

Many Thanks
My LR showed 212 after 100% charge overnight. Just been out reset trip info and it now shows 255!!!! 😀😀

Just 100% charged mine overnight. 212 mile range. Disappointing 😞.
You will get used to it.
Things EV's dont like that will reduce your range

1) Cold weather
2) Hills
3) Speed
4) Heavy right foot
5) Preheating the cabin and battery
6) Running the AC for cooling or heating

My SE standard range got as little as 100 miles from a full charge over winter, but i was wasting power each morning with the preheating and driving with a heavy right foot.
Since then i've changed my old habits had 170 miles out of a charge, but it all depends on how you drive and where you drive.
The range claimed on all EV's is near impossible to achieve with regular real world driving, but things will get better for you as you adapt

You will get used to it.
Things EV's dont like that will reduce your range

1) Cold weather
2) Hills
3) Speed
4) Heavy right foot
5) Preheating the cabin and battery
6) Running the AC for cooling or heating

My SE standard range got as little as 100 miles from a full charge over winter, but i was wasting power each morning with the preheating and driving with a heavy right foot.
Since then i've changed my old habits had 170 miles out of a charge, but it all depends on how you drive and where you drive.
The range claimed on all EV's is near impossible to achieve with regular real world driving, but things will get better for you as you adapt
Just been out ,reset trip and its now showing 255 miles. Happy days!!.

Regardless of what range your car predicts, your actual range will depend on the actual journey/s that you make. The prediction is an estimation based on historic data and some other factors, an algorithm, nothing more.
If you get comfort from seeing a higher number then fine, but it doesn’t guarantee a longer range I’m afraid.

Imagine you are taking a train journey. The timetable says it will take 3 hours to complete the journey but a friend who undertook a similar journey the day before tells you that industrial action is underway and there are the 'wrong kind of leaves on the line' and to expect it to take 5 hours.

Do you stick your fingers in your ears and set off expecting to get there in 3 hours or do you make adjustments based on the additional information? Just because you choose not to listen to advice doesn't make it more likely that you will arrive as timetabled.

Simply resetting the trip, doesn't give you any additional range. You are better off planning for the reduced range and design your driving and charging strategy based on that rather than getting an over-optimistic estimate and being disappointed later.

Thats pointless, you are not going to get 255 miles by resetting your trip computer, all you have done is put the car back to its default factory settings, and the miles per kwh will not match how you have been driving, so you wont achieve this and your range will drop and the next time you charge and it will go back to something like 212.

The only way to get more range out of your car is to change the way you drive it, it took me 2 stubborn months to accept this

I wonder how many people agonise over the miles predictions on a tank of petrol?

My vw 1.5 petrol indicated 17mpg on a 5 mile or so journey in the cold snap 2 weeks ago. And did 44mpg on a 70 mile run to london. When the manufacturer claims around 52 which we all know by now is BS.

So if it was battery the mfr would state 520 mile range. But im getting effectively 170-440 mile “per charge” of petrol.

I think people are obsessing about things they never would have on a petrol car

I wonder how many people agonise over the miles predictions on a tank of petrol?

My vw 1.5 petrol indicated 17mpg on a 5 mile or so journey in the cold snap 2 weeks ago. And did 44mpg on a 70 mile run to london. When the manufacturer claims around 52 which we all know by now is BS.

So if it was battery the mfr would state 520 mile range. But im getting effectively 170-440 mile “per charge” of petrol.

I think people are obsessing about things they never would have on a petrol car
I suppose this obsession for myself comes from the stark difference in infrastructure, I didn't have to care so much in my ice if I decided I wanted to have a bit of fun and hammer it on some twisting a/b roads as I didn't have to worry about not getting home as there's the option to fill up on virtually every corner. I've made the decision to include an ev in my life for saving on commuting to work only where I'll be sat on motorways and a roads 45 miles each way. When I wanna take the family away for a camping weekend I'll load up the Mazda ice and venture into the wilderness knowing I'll be safe to explore and still have plenty of miles in the tank.

MG4 SE SR Range
Hi all so in the last week or so I have done to longer journeys in the wife’s Mg4 SR first one down to Berkshire Amersham in fact about 192 miles and then yesterday both where very similar in there results.

So yesterday Friday 13/01/23 had to drove down to Nuneaton in Warwickshire to attend a family funeral so charged the 4 to full the night before and in on the morning at 08:16 it was showing 100% with 204 miles available temperature 6 degrees.
80F49A35-C962-4F02-9EA9-D3E1D406BA4A.jpeg
Set off in Eco mode with regen 3 and apart from 1 mile or so to pick it up It was motorway from junction 25 driving at 60 mph with some parts at 50 mph due to roadworks this is on the M6.
So after 1:52 hrs we have driven 99.2 miles, we now pull into Corley Services just before junction 3 which is where we are to leave the motorway, arrived there at 10:13hrs with 40% of battery left and 83 miles left on the Gom, an average of 3.6 MPKH not to bad and by now the temperature had got to 9 degrees, as a toilet break and a coffee was requested I Plugged into a Gridserve unit there for 28 minutes witch brought the battery back to 81% and 161 miles on the Gom.
C190645D-5E52-449E-BA64-BAEC821FE1AC.jpeg7FF99062-B346-407C-B135-4C66CA52A902.jpeg
The next 20 miles are to be mainly good A roads to our destination.

So on the return journey I decided not to go back south for about 16 miles to pick up the M6 for the journey home and I used the A5 instead from Nuneaton up to Cannock and then pick up the M6 there which I did, on that section at an average of around 30-50 Mph the car was at one point on that section showing around 4-4.5 MPKH great I thought but once we got back on the M6 motorway and now driving a little faster around 65MPH it was soon back in the 3.2-3.6 MPKH again, temperature was backdown again also at around 7 degrees.
So north we came and got to Keele services where another toilet break was requested plugged in again to a Gridserve unit but this time only for 9-10 minutes which give 5.5 Kw around 10% to the car sorry didn’t take a picture because my phone was plugged in and Running the CarPlay with google maps as I was heading for Crewe to pick up another car so as everything was working with the CarPlay I didn’t want to risk losing it as it’s hit and miss as your my have read in other threads and I had no idea where I was going but so left well alone, I do know we where down to around 72 miles left on the Gom when we stopped and still with at lease 60-65 to drive from there to home via a stop in Crewe so just a little top up was all I needed.

So we arrived home having covered 109 miles including the detour to Crewe using the A530 and the A49 on the way back from Crewe so that kept the speeds down up to Warrington where we got back on the M6 which is only 50mph anyway due to the roadworks and around 8 miles to home.
Once home as the last picture shows we had 19% and 43 miles remaining and had averaged 3.7 MPKH. So we had been using the heater for part of both of these journeys set at 25 degree fan speed at 4-5 but nothing like 25 degrees the numbers in the car mean nothing it was just about OK probably 18-19 degrees I would say and on for around 2/3 of the journey to mainly keep the screens clear as it was raining at times.
67EB6203-7BA0-48DA-BCDD-5CA939A96C82.jpeg

So not to bad considering the temperatures i will say I’m more confident now that the car might achieve its stated range of 217 miles under the right conditions but I do still think it’s very unfair of vehicles manufacturers to just advertise the Maximum possible range figures that they vehicles might achieve and should take more of an average figure for there vehicles as there advertising is very misleading in my opinion but they get away with it and it’s not just MG might I add.

The MG4 its a nice car but personality I don’t find the seats that comfortable on a longer trip and some of the controls I find to be a fiddle but for the purpose it was purchased for the day today shopping and shorter trips 10-30 miles it fine but that’s just my view of it a good car it is a great car it’s not as I said day to day run a around that’s what it is.
Les

MG4 SE SR Range
Hi all so in the last week or so I have done to longer journeys in the wife’s Mg4 SR first one down to Berkshire Amersham in fact about 192 miles and then yesterday both where very similar in there results.

So yesterday Friday 13/01/23 had to drove down to Nuneaton in Warwickshire to attend a family funeral so charged the 4 to full the night before and in on the morning at 08:16 it was showing 100% with 204 miles available temperature 6 degrees.
View attachment 14460
Set off in Eco mode with regen 3 and apart from 1 mile or so to pick it up It was motorway from junction 25 driving at 60 mph with some parts at 50 mph due to roadworks this is on the M6.
So after 1:52 hrs we have driven 99.2 miles, we now pull into Corley Services just before junction 3 which is where we are to leave the motorway, arrived there at 10:13hrs with 40% of battery left and 83 miles left on the Gom, an average of 3.6 MPKH not to bad and by now the temperature had got to 9 degrees, as a toilet break and a coffee was requested I Plugged into a Gridserve unit there for 28 minutes witch brought the battery back to 81% and 161 miles on the Gom.
View attachment 14462View attachment 14461
The next 20 miles are to be mainly good A roads to our destination.

So on the return journey I decided not to go back south for about 16 miles to pick up the M6 for the journey home and I used the A5 instead from Nuneaton up to Cannock and then pick up the M6 there which I did, on that section at an average of around 30-50 Mph the car was at one point on that section showing around 4-4.5 MPKH great I thought but once we got back on the M6 motorway and now driving a little faster around 65MPH it was soon back in the 3.2-3.6 MPKH again, temperature was backdown again also at around 7 degrees.
So north we came and got to Keele services where another toilet break was requested plugged in again to a Gridserve unit but this time only for 9-10 minutes which give 5.5 Kw around 10% to the car sorry didn’t take a picture because my phone was plugged in and Running the CarPlay with google maps as I was heading for Crewe to pick up another car so as everything was working with the CarPlay I didn’t want to risk losing it as it’s hit and miss as your my have read in other threads and I had no idea where I was going but so left well alone, I do know we where down to around 72 miles left on the Gom when we stopped and still with at lease 60-65 to drive from there to home via a stop in Crewe so just a little top up was all I needed.

So we arrived home having covered 109 miles including the detour to Crewe using the A530 and the A49 on the way back from Crewe so that kept the speeds down up to Warrington where we got back on the M6 which is only 50mph anyway due to the roadworks and around 8 miles to home.
Once home as the last picture shows we had 19% and 43 miles remaining and had averaged 3.7 MPKH. So we had been using the heater for part of both of these journeys set at 25 degree fan speed at 4-5 but nothing like 25 degrees the numbers in the car mean nothing it was just about OK probably 18-19 degrees I would say and on for around 2/3 of the journey to mainly keep the screens clear as it was raining at times.
View attachment 14464

So not to bad considering the temperatures i will say I’m more confident now that the car might achieve its stated range of 217 miles under the right conditions but I do still think it’s very unfair of vehicles manufacturers to just advertise the Maximum possible range figures that they vehicles might achieve and should take more of an average figure for there vehicles as there advertising is very misleading in my opinion but they get away with it and it’s not just MG might I add.

The MG4 its a nice car but personality I don’t find the seats that comfortable on a longer trip and some of the controls I find to be a fiddle but for the purpose it was purchased for the day today shopping and shorter trips 10-30 miles it fine but that’s just my view of it a good car it is a great car it’s not as I said day to day run a around that’s what it is.
Les
That was really informative thanks.

Edit to my journey above #417 What did it cost.
So rounding the numbers up.

Left home fully charged, so home to Corley Services 100 miles 60% of battery used let’s say 35 KW @ 0.20kw my tariff at home = £7.00
Charged at Corley 40-81% cost £12.40 added 19.1kw approximately
Charge at Keele services on the way back £3.61 add 5.5kw approximately
So cost of journey was £7.00 + £12.40 + £3.61=£23.01
A diesel car doing 50mpg to do the same trip would need around 4 gallons of diesel at lets say £1.75 per litre =£7.96 per gallon X 4 gallon = £31.80.

So MG4 EV still wins even when having to use Motorway charge points at the currant charge of 0.66p PKW re Gridserve prices.
209 miles
MG4 SE SR = £23.01
iCE at 50 mpg = £31.80
All figures are approximate and rounded-up.
Les

We are planning to go to Scotland from Southampton.
Based on your figures, and my Octavia doing 50mpg, if the price of diesel drops by the summer then it may be cheaper to use that than the MG5.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back