MG4 Range

But our daily normal usage would make an off-peak tariff unworkable, given the irregularity of needing to charge the car. (SWMBO will absolutely not have dishwasher/washing machine/tumble dryer running overnight whilst we're sleeping).
Yes that makes sense. We run the dishwasher / washing machine overnight (no tumble drier) and do 10,000 miles a year. Works out that we are better off on Go.

Did anyone ever calculate the gap between the steering-wheel-screen miles per kwh and the real consumption? My car displays like 17 kwh / 100 km (3.7 mpkwh), but I only get around 240 km from 50 kwh, which is around 21 kwh / 100 km (3 mpkwh).

Is the computer off by 23 %, or what am I missing?
Yesterday I crunched the numbers, when I charged my car. Oh wonder: the car charged about 20 % faster percentagewise than the displayed kw in iSmart. It seems, that my car only uses like 42 kwh of the 50.8 it should have. That's the only explanation I have, why it would (dis-) charge about 20 % faster than displayed.

Is this maybe some battery protection mode for the first 1000 km?

Anyone else?

PS: Yes, I did slow charge it to 100 % recently.

In case anyone is wondering about the range shown in the iSMART app ... it calculates remaining range based on ECO mode. In the car the range is calculated based on the selected mode. :)
That's a bit sneaky, the better way would be to calculate based on the default mode of the car, 'normal' (or query the car for the last used mode), rather than let people be negatively surprised.

Anyway I did my first long range drive today,
  • charged to 100% with balance beforehand, exactly 20% left on returning
  • 184 miles mostly motorway and some countryside
  • predicted 40 miles remaining at end, which seems reasonable, which would give a total range of 224 miles
  • no heater on the way, heater on 24deg. on the way back (about 7deg. outside)
  • 3.7m/kWh
  • normal mode
  • driving normally, not trying to be efficient, motorway up to 70 with some 50mph sections
  • oh yes, long range SE
  • average speed 42mph
As that's going to be my most common long range journey, I'm happy with that.

Last edited:
That's a bit sneaky, the better way would be to calculate based on the default mode of the car, 'normal' (or query the car for the last used mode), rather than let people be negatively surprised.

• predicted 40 miles remaining at end, which seems reasonable, which would give a total range of 224 miles
  • 3.7m/kWh
  • normal mode
  • driving normally, not trying to be efficient, motorway up to 70 with some 50mph sections
In what car please MG4 we know but SR LR SE or Trophy we don’t know ?

In the video above #649 in an SESR I’ve had much better and much worse figures than them last December I was find it very hard to get anywhere near hes figures in fact at one point it was only around one mile per one %, but then recently I have seen 5 mpkh but at lower speeds around 55mph strange it is I know but all down to temp I’m thinking.

Couple off other things in that video also he talks about the LKA, I wonder if his car has had any updates, my wife’s car was at first terrible for pulling you over for no reason and well below the 37mph it is suppose to come in at but after the update done for the door locking recall it is much much better behaved, and if it’s switch off it seems to stay there but then it did before the update.

Other thing that made me chuckle was when he talked about being an advance driving instructor or something on them lines very good, and said about there being no need to indicate if there’s no one around you and I agree with that and do do that observation is a very important thing when you’re driving but when LKA is turned on if you indicate it kind of cancels the LKA out and the car goes across the lines into the other lane with no pulling no beeping at you nothing just does it but you must indicate before you start to change lanes and be over 37 mph.

I remember many years ago the rules where when driving and there where television adds as well that said always Mirror Signal Manoeuvre that’s the correct way to drive, my how times have change in fact the driving instructors of the day would say when they took you for your driving test, now make sure when your told to make a turn that you lift up you head towards the mirror so the test guy can see your using it then and only then indicate and manoeuvre mine you that was back in 1967 with 1/10 or more the traffic we have today,
But when I took my motorcycle test in 64 I think it was you weren’t allowed to use electric indicators on the bike on the test if it had them fitted but very few had back then.
Les

• 3.7m/kWh
  • normal mode
  • oh yes, long range SE
What was your average speed? That’s a really key metric.

In what car please MG4 we know but SR LR SE or Trophy we don’t know ?

In the video above #649 in an SESR I’ve had much better and much worse figures than them last December I was find it very hard to get anywhere near hes figures in fact at one point it was only around one mile per one %, but then recently I have seen 5 mpkh but at lower speeds around 55mph strange it is I know but all down to temp I’m thinking.

Couple off other things in that video also he talks about the LKA, I wonder if his car has had any updates, my wife’s car was at first terrible for pulling you over for no reason and well below the 37mph it is suppose to come in at but after the update done for the door locking recall it is much much better behaved, and if it’s switch off it seems to stay there but then it did before the update.

Other thing that made me chuckle was when he talked about being an advance driving instructor or something on them lines very good, and said about there being no need to indicate if there’s no one around you and I agree with that and do do that observation is a very important thing when you’re driving but when LKA is turned on if you indicate it kind of cancels the LKA out and the car goes across the lines into the other lane with no pulling no beeping at you nothing just does it but you must indicate before you start to change lanes and be over 37 mph.

I remember many years ago the rules where when driving and there where television adds as well that said always Mirror Signal Manoeuvre that’s the correct way to drive, my how times have change in fact the driving instructors of the day would say when they took you for your driving test, now make sure when your told to make a turn that you lift up you head towards the mirror so the test guy can see your using it then and only then indicate and manoeuvre mine you that was back in 1967 with 1/10 or more the traffic we have today,
But when I took my motorcycle test in 64 I think it was you weren’t allowed to use electric indicators on the bike on the test if it had them fitted but very few had back then.
Les
When I took my bike test the examiner jumped out from behind a tree for the emergency stop! There wasn’t much else to do on the test from what I can remember.

I think LKA in the SE is different to that in the Trophy. For example I don't recall seeing any Emergency Lane Keeping option in my car (per screenshots earlier in this thread) - and yes, mine has had the LKA update, at least the previous one that was released. (I don't know if there are any further updates).

Hi guru, you may well be right about there might some differences for SE to trophy I don’t know, but I’m explaining how my wife’s SESR is only ever been it a trophy once on the test drive, but that was fine but it may have been switch off I don’t know what I do know is when we pick up the SESR from the showroom it was down right dangerous but because I knew about it for this forum I just switch it off then all was fine and it stayed that way , weeks later we had the recall for the doors locking and it was back on again but no where near as volatile now but she didn’t like it so I switched it off again and it stays off as far as I know the wife’s stays she often checks be for she starts off and it is still off I don’t drive it that often.
Les

I think LKA in the SE is different to that in the Trophy. For example I don't recall seeing any Emergency Lane Keeping option in my car (per screenshots earlier in this thread) - and yes, mine has had the LKA update, at least the previous one that was released. (I don't know if there are any further updates).
Yes, there are extensive differences: eg fewer AC options, no weather, options on reassigning buttons etc... be good to get a definitive list sometime!

What was your average speed? That’s a really key metric.

When I took my bike test the examiner jumped out from behind a tree for the emergency stop! There wasn’t much else to do on the test from what I can remember.
42mph - will edit original post

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 485 79.0%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 83 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel