MG4 Range

That's unusual though, most people are not getting less than 2.5mpkWh, so could be a wider problem but you seem to have it worse than most.

It's early days but I've not seen under 3mpkWh yet with my LR Trophy, giving me at least 180 mile range.
That's still 100 miles short of the claimed range
It's about time real world range is quoted by the manufacturers because many people bought EVs basing the cost on the claimed range and how many times they would need to charge on long journeys, when you wipe 30-50% off and then add £0.80/kwh rapid charging, it soon gets cheaper, easier and faster to stick with petrol or diesel.

All the teslas at mt workplace ahcive a much higher % of the claimed range, they say 360 miles and the car does 300

The MG4 has also be slated as one of the worst affected by cost weather

Winter full charge 160-180miles
Now full charge 220-235miles

The most important variable is how much you pay for 1kwh. Your cost permile is 3p-8p either way. 8p a mile is still excellent.

It's about time real world MPG is quoted by manufacturers because many people bought ICEs basing the cost on the claimed MPG and how much it would cost to fill the tank. ;)
I always point the curious at ev-database.org - A consistent source for real-world range and charging speeds.

It's about time real world MPG is quoted by manufacturers because many people bought ICEs basing the cost on the claimed MPG and how much it would cost to fill the tank. ;)
I hear this quote a lot on here but I could always get much closer or better than quoted mpg in my old cars.
I also didn't lose power or 50% of the mpg in winter and the engine would produce full power from full to empty with no reduction at lower levels
My 520d did about 42mpg in summer and 36 in winter and I drove it hard

Whereas my mg4 was getting 80-100 miles on a full charge during winter and has never done more than 150 miles.

So you'll need a better defence for EVs because currently they are expensive and full of compromises compared to ICE cars

EVs don't need a defence. They are a developing technology so there are currently some compromises but soon range and cost will not be among them.

What needs attention is publicising the current limitations with EVs and charging and educating both the public and car dealers about them. The fact that the government is doing basically nothing about this (including infrastructure investment) is shocking.

When we are all locked in 15 minute cities and only allowed 100 passes a year, range and car ownership will be the least of our worries

I live in the countryside, but there is a new policy that all governments are adopting where if the land or water in any area becomes contaminated then they can forcefully remove and relocate the residents from that area, and it doesn't take a genius to work out where they will be moved to should this ever happen by let's say a train derailment spelling toxic chemicals that contaminate the land and water.
Now where have I heard soemthing like this before 🤔

I live in the countryside, but there is a new policy that all governments are adopting where if the land or water in any area becomes contaminated then they can forcefully remove and relocate the residents from that area, and it doesn't take a genius to work out where they will be moved to should this ever happen by let's say a train derailment spelling toxic chemicals that contaminate the land and water.
Now where have I heard soemthing like this before 🤔
O,the good old days 😱

On Fox News?
i dont watch fox news, its actually a UN agenda but as you probably get all your information from the BBC you wont know this. you will just repeat what they tell you to.
Its on the UN website for all who can be bothered to read.
Just remember, because you watch and parrot the BBC, it does not make you informed or intelligent.

Attachments

• UN1.JPG
    UN1.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finding on medium/long journeys the car either returns 3.2m/kWh (~195miles) or 4.2m/kWh (~260miles) depending on whether I'm driving fast with the heating on or slow with no heating.

Using the heater seems to use so much power that it doesn't make much difference driving slower when it's on as you are extending the length of time the heater is running.
Is it necessary to heat the cabin? Could you get away with heated steering wheel and seats?

Is it necessary to heat the cabin? Could you get away with heated steering wheel and seats?
I could but I didn't spend £32k to be cold. The heated seats and wheel are lovely but I still get cold feet and they also don't do anything for our son in the back.

I think there has only been one occasion since we got the car where I kept the heater off to extend the range even though it was cold, but this was only to avoid plugging in at home at the weekend instead of using free energy from work.

Had my SE SR on charge overnight ... this morning the app shows my estimate range as 207 miles (the app uses ECO mode for estimates). :) (This is the most I've ever seen. Ambient temperature is currently 10°C).
Here's mine from a couple of day ago😁

Attachments

• IMG_20230327_133109_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20230327_133109_hdr.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 113
Had my SE SR on charge overnight ... this morning the app shows my estimate range as 207 miles (the app uses ECO mode for estimates). :) (This is the most I've ever seen. Ambient temperature is currently 10°C).
Range charge to 100% last night and my Trophy says 235 miles today, mind you a lot of our driving is local so normally exceed what it says on a long journey.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back