MG4 Range

Initially without any wheels moving you could easily use 1kWh of battery power heating when it's very cold and therefore before the wheels have turned consumption is infinite. Most other EVs allow heating directly from the charger which is probably more efficient as it hasn't had to be stored.andnreleased from the battery I also assume it isn't included in their miles per kWh calculation so optically efficiency is higher.
This is a good point. Until this is fixed by MG (which I'm presuming we are expecting?) then it should be taken into consideration for these range discussions.

Hi, EV batteries do not like the cold and you will lose 25% range in the winter.
In eco mode the AC effect is reduced.

Just looking at my spreadsheet for my current 10 year old 2.0l diesel Focus and in the winter the mpg on shorter journeys drops by 22% but because it's not in your face you don't notice the increased fuel consumption in cold weather.
My last ICE car was a Fiat Punto and on a long journey I could get 70mpg out of it if I tried. Doing the kind of short journeys I'm doing now I would often see 15-20mpg and I couldn't leave it idling whilst parked up like I can an EV.

Just looking at my spreadsheet for my current 10 year old 2.0l diesel Focus and in the winter the mpg on shorter journeys drops by 22% but because it's not in your face you don't notice the increased fuel consumption in cold weather.
Amen brother. Some of these winter range winge posts make my head hurt. Same thing every year.

I guess the MG4 being launched at this time of year doesn't help.

I've had my worst range ever this week!!

I had done only 60 miles since my last charge, and my battery was down to 30% and showing 32 miles of range.
I have been driving very carefully and have had the heater on eco at 22 degrees and fan level 4 so its not like I'm abusing anything.
People on here keep saying a 30% reduction in range is common in winter, but a 60% drop cant be normal or acceptable??

Im tempted to take it back because it seems to be losing more range each week no matter how its driven

Is anyone else losing so much or could i have a genuine battery problem that needs to be fixed by the dealer ?????????

I had done only 60 miles since my last charge, and my battery was down to 30% and showing 32 miles of range.
I have been driving very carefully and have had the heater on eco at 22 degrees and fan level 4 so its not like I'm abusing anything.
People on here keep saying a 30% reduction in range is common in winter, but a 60% drop cant be normal or acceptable??

Im tempted to take it back because it seems to be losing more range each week no matter how its driven

Is anyone else losing so much or could i have a genuine battery problem that needs to be fixed by the dealer ?????????
Yours sounds excessive compared to everyone else's. Sounds like your dealer needs to look at it.

Everyone's experience will be different. Having owned and driven EVs for more than 5 years I would say that the 30% drop in range between good summer and poor winter conditions is a reasonable estimate for a single long journey.

Things will be lots worse for lots of short journeys where the car has to be defrosted and brought up to a comfortable temperature repeatably.

If it was extremely cold you could use 2kWh of energy each day just warming your car and battery, which is 10kWh in a week or 20% of your battery for a SR before you even turn the wheels.

The good news is, come spring the range will creep back up again.

For many people the range of the car, even in winter is more than enough for their regular daily need, so provided you can conveniently recharge each day this isn't a major issue. If you haven't got home charging, or regularly drive much more than 50% of the WLTP range of your car in a day then it will be more of a struggle.

Last edited:
Everyone's experience will be different. Having owned and driven EVs for more than 5 years I would say that the 30% drop in range between good summer and poor winter conditions is a reasonable estimate for a single long journey.

Things will be lots worse for lots of short journeys where the car has to be defrosted and brought up to a comfortable temperature repeatably.

If it was extremely cold you could use 2kWh of energy each day just warming your car and battery, which is 10kWh in a week or 20% of your battery for a SR before you even turn the wheels.

The good news is, come spring the range will creep back up again.

For many people the range of the car, even in winter is more than enough for their regular daily need, so provided you can conveniently recharge each day this isn't a major issue. If you haven't got home charging, or regularly drive much more than 50% of the WLTP range of your car in a day then it will be more of a struggle.
Do you work for MG?????

I dont know how good you are at maths but my car has lost over 60% of its range and its only using 1kwh of heating on the way to work and loses 4miles of range preheating but even driving it like granny its getting no more than 2m/kwh!!!
Its going back to MG next week and if they dont find a problem and say its perfectly normal for a brand new car to go in to limp mode with 32% battery left and then lose over 60% of range on the next charge then i will ask for this in writing and then likely demand a refund because this was not what i was sold.
Had they been honest and told me of all these issues then i would never have bought it.

There are serval EV's at my workplace and they are all getting very good winter range with a loss of around 20% so its not and winter EV problem its an MG problem

I also dont have a home charger, and paying for 50kwh of electric to only do 90 miles is bloody expensive!!

Now you've lost any respect - that's how someone comments when they're speaking solely from anger and not thinking logically.

Does that mean I work for MG too? 🙄
it was a simple question, mainly because of the way you respond and its usually in defence of MG and placing the fault on the owner. Very much like an MG employee would, because i have just been on the phone to them and they said almost the same word for word

Now whos getting angry and defensive? a simple yes or no would have been perfectly acceptable so that makes me even more suspicious

it was a simple question, mainly because of the way you respond and its usually in defence of MG and placing the fault on the owner. Very much like an MG employee would, because i have just been on the phone to them and they said almost the same word for word

Now whos getting angry and defensive? a simple yes or no would have been perfectly acceptable so that makes me even more suspicious
Suggest you take a chill pill and be respectful to other members. @siteguru is a well respected member of this forum. Take your frustrations out on your dealer and or MG.

Do you work for MG?????

I dont know how good you are at maths but my car has lost over 60% of its range and its only using 1kwh of heating on the way to work and loses 4miles of range preheating but even driving it like granny its getting no more than 2m/kwh!!!
Its going back to MG next week and if they dont find a problem and say its perfectly normal for a brand new car to go in to limp mode with 32% battery left and then lose over 60% of range on the next charge then i will ask for this in writing and then likely demand a refund because this was not what i was sold.
Had they been honest and told me of all these issues then i would never have bought it.

There are serval EV's at my workplace and they are all getting very good winter range with a loss of around 20% so its not and winter EV problem its an MG problem

I also dont have a home charger, and paying for 50kwh of electric to only do 90 miles is bloody expensive!!
I may be wrong but I think I recall you mentioning on another thread or comment that you always drive to the speed limit and don't drive for economy to eeek out extra miles; as such your car is most likely providing the efficiency it can based on that.

Unfortunately you do have to change your driving a little to be more preemptive opposed to reactionary, ICE cars lose range in winter due to mechanical effort required increases due to rolling resistance changes in road surfaces and extra time required for things such as engine oils to get upto temperature due to lower ambient temps, if I recall correctly ford advised most of its models lose around 22-25% of their range in winter, and vauxhall around 20%.

But in an petrol or diesel I personally never really paid much attention to the MPG I was getting or the range until the car bonged at me to refuel.

Do you work for MG?????
No. If you read through some of my posts you will see that I have been more critical of MG than most. I am an EV enthusiast currently running a ZS EV and a Kia Soul that visits this forum to give and receive advice from the experience of others.

I am sorry if you don't like what I have said, but hand on heart it is genuine and unbiased. If you start bad-mouthing fellow forum members for trying to be helpful and sharing their knowledge you may find them less than sympathetic in the future.

Maybe there is something wrong with your car, but frankly most EV's suffer in a similar way when temperatures get close to or below freezing point. With respect, running an EV without access to home charging can be a challenge, especially at this time of the year. If you had done a bit more research before your purchase you might have learnt this.

Good day.

I dont know how good you are at maths
Clearly. If you are interested I'm pretty good at maths with excellent qualifications and a long career at senior level in numeric disciplines.👨‍🔬
my car has lost over 60% of its range and its only using 1kwh of heating on the way to work and loses 4miles of range preheating but even driving it like granny its getting no more than 2m/kwh!!!
We've not got enough to go on, but a typical driver warming their car properly and driving 5 miles to and from work at this time of year could easily use 6kWh to travel those 10 miles. This equates to around 85 miles total range in an SR which sounds close to what you are getting.

This does not indicate that the car is faulty.

I know for a fact that 10 mins of cabin preheating uses 2% of battery on my SE SR ... I've used it often enough to see that it is consistent. 2% of 50 kWh is 1 kWh. Even if range was 150 miles at this time of year (down 25% of 200 miles in summer) that would equate to a loss of range of 3 miles before a wheel even turned. Do that 5 days a week, twice a day and that's 30 miles of possible range gone at a stroke.

Then factor in that short journeys use proportionately more of the battery than long journeys (in terms of miles per kWh) because the battery needs to warm up through usage for efficiency to improve, and I can easily believe why I'm only getting about 120 miles from a full charge at this time of year.

Do you work for MG?????

How much are you charging the car? The SR requires regular charging to 100% for it to be healthy and balance the battery properly.

Clearly. If you are interested I'm pretty good at maths with excellent qualifications and a long career at senior level in numeric disciplines.👨‍🔬

We've not got enough to go on, but a typical driver warming their car properly and driving 5 miles to and from work at this time of year could easily use 6kWh to travel those 10 miles. This equates to around 85 miles total range in an SR which sounds close to what you are getting.

This does not indicate that the car is faulty.
Suggest you take a chill pill and be respectful to other members. @siteguru is a well respected member of this forum. Take your frustrations out on your dealer and or MG.
If someone cant cope with a question on a forum, then they are in the wrong place

At what point have i been disrespectful?????????

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back