MG4 Range

If someone cant cope with a question on a forum, then they are in the wrong place

At what point have i been disrespectful?????????
I think part of the interpretation of your attitude is based on how you punctuate, you use multiple question marks opposed to just one.

I may be wrong but I think I recall you mentioning on another thread or comment that you always drive to the speed limit and don't drive for economy to eeek out extra miles; as such your car is most likely providing the efficiency it can based on that.

Unfortunately you do have to change your driving a little to be more preemptive opposed to reactionary, ICE cars lose range in winter due to mechanical effort required increases due to rolling resistance changes in road surfaces and extra time required for things such as engine oils to get upto temperature due to lower ambient temps, if I recall correctly ford advised most of its models lose around 22-25% of their range in winter, and vauxhall around 20%.

But in an petrol or diesel I personally never really paid much attention to the MPG I was getting or the range until the car bonged at me to refuel.
Yes i drive to the speed limit but i dont rag the car to get there. If EV's are not capable of driving at real world speed limits on every road in the UK without killing the range, then they are not fit for purpose and their ranges are based on very manipulated results and this should be made obvious to anything buying one.
From what other people are posting on here mine seems to be losing twice the average winter range and for a brand new car with 700 miles on the clock this is looking like a huge waste of money

I think part of the interpretation of your attitude is based on how you punctuate, you use multiple question marks opposed to just one.
so???? thats just what i do.
Do we live in a world now where a person can only use 1? and anything else is harassment and disrespect?

EV's are not capable of driving at real world speed limits on every road in the UK without killing the range

That's the same for all vehicles, ICE, Hybrid or EV. But it's more noticeable with EVs given their more limited range in the first place.

Speed limits are not targets, but I recognise that it is your right to choose. If you really need more range then you have no choice apart from reverting to ICE in the short term and changing your views when ICE are phased out.

If someone cant cope with a question on a forum, then they are in the wrong place

At what point have i been disrespectful?????????
For me multiple unnecessary punctuation in the form of "?" and "!" implies someone who is not calm and asking in a reasonable way. People on here are very helpful if you act in a civilised manner, but as in most walks of life you don't tend to get much response if you're perceived as rude.

That's the same for all vehicles, ICE, Hybrid or EV. But it's more noticeable with EVs given their more limited range in the first place.

Speed limits are not targets, but I recognise that it is your right to choose. If you really need more range then you have no choice apart from reverting to ICE in the short term and changing your views when ICE are phased out.
I currently own 2 ICE cars and neither suffer from losing 50% of their range in winter, to be honest my subaru actually like the cold weather and runs more economically.

If owning an EV mean I need to drive like I'm 90 years old and one cough away from the grave then they are a huge step backwards in the automotive world.
I don't expect miracles from an ev but I expect to be able to drive it it normally

You absolutely can drive an EV 'normally'. I traded in a Golf R Estate for my MG5 and while it obviously doesn't have anywhere near the same power, day-to-day driving I haven't missed the golf's performance once. I always said I'd only get on with EVs if they fit the way I use a car rather than me needing to change to fit the car. So it sounds like your car has a fault that needs the dealer to check it over. Frustrating but happens with all makes

You absolutely can drive an EV 'normally'. I traded in a Golf R Estate for my MG5 and while it obviously doesn't have anywhere near the same power, day-to-day driving I haven't missed the golf's performance once. I always said I'd only get on with EVs if they fit the way I use a car rather than me needing to change to fit the car. So it sounds like your car has a fault that needs the dealer to check it over. Frustrating but happens with all maNot accroding to other poeople

Some people on here say you cant and that im getting appalling range on my MG4 because im trying to drive it like a normal car. Apparently i should never accelerate or get close to any speed limit, i should not use the heater the lights the radio, the sat nav or drive on a road that isn't perfectly flat and level, and if i do all these things which to be honest sounds like torture, then maybe just maybe ill get close to the claimed range.

Its booked in on Tuesday.

Some people on here say you cant and that im getting appalling range on my MG4 because im trying to drive it like a normal car. Apparently i should never accelerate or get close to any speed limit, i should not use the heater the lights the radio, the sat nav or drive on a road that isn't perfectly flat and level, and if i do all these things which to be honest sounds like torture, then maybe just maybe ill get close to the claimed range.

In the same way that you never get the stated mpg in an ICE car, you'll never get the stated range in an EV but it shouldn't be ridiculously far away.

My climate control is constantly set to auto and 21 degrees, heated seats on, 70mph on motorways and I've never had performance issues or ridiculously bad range. In the MG5 at the moment in this really cold weather, I'm getting around 2.6 miles per kwh which I think means about a 30% reduction on the stated range if my maths are correct.

I'm a bit stingy and always have the car on eco . Anyway it suits my (forced) way of driving. And sometimes don't have the AC on. I've been around 20% down i reckon in the last few days.
It's forecast to be 13 degrees here on Monday so I'm looking to see what happens with my range then .

Definitely worth getting it checked.

There are too many variables that affect range: temperature, gradients, wind/altitude, following large vehicles, driving style, top speed, acceleration, mode settings, use of AC, regen, anticipation of the road ahead, etc…

In general one person’s “driving like granny” is another’s hair-raising breakneck dash.

In the same way that you never get the stated mpg in an ICE car, you'll never get the stated range in an EV but it shouldn't be ridiculously far away.

My climate control is constantly set to auto and 21 degrees, heated seats on, 70mph on motorways and I've never had performance issues or ridiculously bad range. In the MG5 at the moment in this really cold weather, I'm getting around 2.6 miles per kwh which I think means about a 30% reduction on the stated range if my maths are correct.
I disagree, i could regularly beat the claimed MPG in my BMW, especially on a long motorway run doing the speed limit and not sitting at 50mph hiding behind an HGV for improved wind resistance, apparently thats how i must drive to make my EV's get closer to its claimed range

My 4 is doing 2 miles per kwh and its doesnt really make a difference how i drive
Definitely worth getting it checked.

There are too many variables that affect range: temperature, gradients, wind/altitude, following large vehicles, driving style, top speed, acceleration, mode settings, use of AC, regen, anticipation of the road ahead, etc…

In general one person’s “driving like granny” is another’s hair-raising breakneck dash.
I fully understand all these things and accept them, but i was expecting a bit of a drop off in range, i was not expecting to lose most of it or needing to drive at 20 mph everywhere i go to be able to achieve the claimed range

Some people should not have a licence, driving way too slow is as dangerous as driving way to fast

I fully understand all these things and accept them, but i was expecting a bit of a drop off in range, i was not expecting to lose most of it or needing to drive at 20 mph everywhere i go to be able to achieve the claimed range
Yes, it sounds as if you range is worse than a typical 30% drop off, so that could be:
  • Fault
  • Excessive driving style
  • Failure to regularly charge to 100%
  • Battery too cold and pre-heater not used

The 30% should hold whatever the driving style, so if you drive the same as summer shouldn’t affect it.

With LFP batteries it seems dealers don’t properly communicate how they need to charged/maintained, so this is a common problem. But if you are doing everything religiously, probably a fault.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back