MG4 Range

I think I can throw my SE SR in the pile here. I’m fully aware of the randomness of the GOM this time of year but bare with me. Statistically something must be wrong here. Battery percentage shouldn’t be variable right? It should be like the litres of fuel left in the tank. the bms should be aware of each cell.

So on the way to the gym this morning I got 4.2m/kWh which I thought was nice. 15 min drive covering 6.2 miles. ODO is 256 miles, battery 45% and 71m range

I go to work and leave for the school run. The car is very limited in power. Ok maybe the battery cold. It did improve but when I stop I notice 2.6m/kWh, 25% remaining and 34m left. 265 ODO

Another short trip home 3.6m/kWh, 16%, 21m left and 272 ODO.

I took it to a charger with 9% left but all day I’ve traveled 16 miles and use 36% or 18kw. Even at 2m/kWh I should have used 8kw less than half right?

When I can I will do a balance charge

Well this morning i took everyone's advice, i preheated the battery, i turned everything down to low and i drove very slowly to work and all i got for it was double the battery consumption.

Yesterday with no preheating my car used 7% battery and achieved 2m/kwh, today it used 16% battery and achieved 2m/kwh.

Well this morning i took everyone's advice, i preheated the battery, i turned everything down to low and i drove very slowly to work and all i got for it was double the battery consumption.

Yesterday with no preheating my car used 7% battery and achieved 2m/kwh, today it used 16% battery and achieved 2m/kwh.
Let us know what the dealer says when you take your over hungry tortoise in for inspection...oh and by the way tortoises generally don't have much range but according to David Attenborough that not true of all the species🐢

I once sent an email to a japanese business and tried to indicate suprise by ending a sentence with !!!

They took that as me being very upset.

So if i called you silly in these ways they are all different

Are you silly :)

Are you silly?

Are you silly??????!?!

Are you silly!

Are you silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Punctuation and context matters.

Or should i say it matters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i just sounds a bit pedantic to me and people looking for a reason to be offended.
The words people use carry much more meaning than the number of question marks they use.

Let us know what the dealer says when you take your over hungry tortoise in for inspection...oh and by the way tortoises generally don't have much range but according to David Attenborough that not true of all the species🐢
Its in on Tuesday but i have a very strong feeling they will fob me off and just say its the cold weather and i need to wait until it improves to get a true understanding of the car.I'd be very interested to see if they will lend me an equivalent model for a day to see if i get the same results but i bet they only have 1 demo Trophy model and it wont be able to be lent out for a day.
To make matters worse, when i took it off charge last yesterday i got a new warning stating "Vehicle control system failure, Please stop safely"
The car would not go in to drive and i was worried i would be walking home, i had to get out of the car, lock it and unlock it and the fault went away and i was able to drive home.

Its in on Tuesday but i have a very strong feeling they will fob me off and just say its the cold weather and i need to wait until it improves to get a true understanding of the car.I'd be very interested to see if they will lend me an equivalent model for a day to see if i get the same results but i bet they only have 1 demo Trophy model and it wont be able to be lent out for a day.
To make matters worse, when i took it off charge last yesterday i got a new warning stating "Vehicle control system failure, Please stop safely"
The car would not go in to drive and i was worried i would be walking home, i had to get out of the car, lock it and unlock it and the fault went away and i was able to drive home.

Attachments

• warning .jpg
    warning .jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 80
I think I can throw my SE SR in the pile here. I’m fully aware of the randomness of the GOM this time of year but bare with me. Statistically something must be wrong here. Battery percentage shouldn’t be variable right? It should be like the litres of fuel left in the tank. the bms should be aware of each cell.

So on the way to the gym this morning I got 4.2m/kWh which I thought was nice. 15 min drive covering 6.2 miles. ODO is 256 miles, battery 45% and 71m range

I go to work and leave for the school run. The car is very limited in power. Ok maybe the battery cold. It did improve but when I stop I notice 2.6m/kWh, 25% remaining and 34m left. 265 ODO

Another short trip home 3.6m/kWh, 16%, 21m left and 272 ODO.

I took it to a charger with 9% left but all day I’ve traveled 16 miles and use 36% or 18kw. Even at 2m/kWh I should have used 8kw less than half right?

When I can I will do a balance charge
SR likes a weekly balance charge to 100%. Really should be much better advertised.

It really sounds like you and Bowfer got a bag of spanners. Depending on what "technician" you get the data should all be there to examine. Yes you will get the " its cold weather you see" bit but add in power loss, restricted speed and acceleration to the mix and it becomes a more serious issue. As you suggest a test drive in a similar model would help indicate if yours has an individual issue

P.s we are trying to help but the old adage " until you gave walked in that man's shoes" comes into play

Last edited:

I think you said you didn't have home charging. What chargers do you use and what SoC do you regularly charge to? It is necessary to charge to 100% on a dc charger (7kW or granny) periodically to balance the batteries. This was a big issue with one of the software updates to the ZS which meant balancing didn't complete properly and resulted in loss of range for owners. It took a software fix and multiple balancing chargers (dozens in some cases) for range to recover.

What sort of distance is your drive to work? I've only driven a MG4 on a couple of occasions but both times it displayed exactly 2 m/kWh when I started. It took a reasonable distance (8-10 miles) before this rose.

This time of year I would anticipate a total range from a charge in an SR to be around 150 miles in a single long trip, but less that 100 miles total if each trip was warm to operating temperature, drive 5 miles, allow to cool and repeat.

I think you said you didn't have home charging. What chargers do you use and what SoC do you regularly charge to? It is necessary to charge to 100% on a dc charger (7kW or granny) periodically to balance the batteries. This was a big issue with one of the software updates to the ZS which meant balancing didn't complete properly and resulted in loss of range for owners. It took a software fix and multiple balancing chargers (dozens in some cases) for range to recover.
"AC" charger, you mean.

What sort of distance is your drive to work? I've only driven a MG4 on a couple of occasions but both times it displayed exactly 2 m/kWh when I started. It took a reasonable distance (8-10 miles) before this rose.

This time of year I would anticipate a total range from a charge in an SR to be around 150 miles in a single long trip, but less that 100 miles total if each trip was warm to operating temperature, drive 5 miles, allow to cool and repeat.
My workplace has 7kw chargers and this is where i've done nearly all my charging, with a couple of top-ups at home on a 2kw 3 pin plug charger.

My commute to work is 9.5 miles, with about 5 miles on bypass and dual carriageway where i generally dont get over 60mph but usually get stuck behind trucks doing 50 or slower.

Im still planning to drive to Scotland over the holidays and im hoping for a big improvement on a long range drive but from what most people are saying on here mine seems to be draining power much faster than other MG4 SR and i wish i could put it down to me driving like Lewis Hamilton on a qualifying lap but thats not the case and its worrying me that i've bought a lemon

My work chargers are 22kw and 7kw. Makes it easier as if you get access to the 22kw you can be done in no time. Good thing it's also free
I may put it on a DC charger this weekend to see if it makes a difference but this will need to be done on a public charger where i will be charged about £30 for a full charge which goes against the reason for buying the car due to the free charging at work.
And if i still only get 100-140 miles for £30 then its more expensive than fuelling my BMW and getting close to the running cost of my WRX because i can get 90 miles for £30 of super unleaded

I wouldn't bother...AC or DC makes no odds so long as the battery stores 100% of its capacity. I only use DC for the time v cost factor nothing more nothing less. Charge to 100% a few times to see if the BMS balances the readings but no need for ££ DC supply imo

I wouldn't bother...AC or DC makes no odds so long as the battery stores 100% of its capacity. I only use DC for the time v cost factor nothing more nothing less. Charge to 100% a few times to see if the BMS balances the readings but no need for ££ DC supply imo
I always charge to 100% and with my appalling range I'm doing it twice a week

In that case the batteries bms system should be balanced already. DC charging against AC makes no odds. Rule that one out.
Let the garage do their worst then as you state a longer journey would do no harm to see if things improve

Looks like I've missed a bit of forum fun while I've been driving to Metz and back. There will be a thread incoming on my 980 mile adventure as an antidote to all the tedious posts where people use the car as a hair dryer but don't expect the effeciency to suffer. But, in summary, I did 980 miles from Leicestershire to Metz in Eastern France and averaged 3.7 miles per kwh. There's plenty of issues with the car, but range under long run driving ain't one of them.

Looks like I've missed a bit of forum fun while I've been driving to Metz and back. There will be a thread incoming on my 980 mile adventure as an antidote to all the tedious posts where people use the car as a hair dryer but don't expect the effeciency to suffer. But, in summary, I did 980 miles from Leicestershire to Metz in Eastern France and averaged 3.7 miles per kwh. There's plenty of issues with the car, but range under long run driving ain't one of them.
Not many people do long daily long runs
75% of the country have a commute to work that is less than 9 miles.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 505 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back