MG4 Range

Hi Tig 170 I I liked watching the ev Puzzle also but now I have switched and prefer a fellow name of Daniel Coe as he’s easier to watch for me anyhow, don't get my wrong Nigel is good but he does waffle on at times, Daniel I find to be more to the point IMHO and much clearer at times
Check Him out and let me know what you think.
Les.
Thank you for that recommendation Les. I have subscribed to his channel. I also enjoy watching Electric Vehicle Man or EVM for short. He mainly does electric car reviews, but I enjoy his in depth analysis of his solar/battery system and related subjects. Artisan Electrics also has interesting solar/battery install videos.

Last edited:
I like my comfort so I always have AC on (plus rear demist when needed). 😂

I'm not a range addict - I'm driving this with the same criteria I'd use driving an ICE car ... it's just that efficiency in an EV is much more "in your face". :)
Honestly think this is the best response on there. We all seem to be putting expectations on EVs that we'd never dream of doing for our ICE cars.

It's almost as if people don't do any research before buying an EV ..
Yes, although many will no doubt say they shouldn’t have to do research, cars should just ‘work’ etc…

EVs are an emerging technology, They have compromises and complexities that ICE cars don’t.

If people want simple EVs that just work, they should wait another 5-10 years.

Otherwise, prepare to roll up your sleeves and learn a bit about battery chemistries, charger and cable types, range and efficiency parameters, electricity rates and plans, charging networks, basically the same topics that the early adopter nerds love.

Otherwise, prepare to roll up your sleeves and learn a bit about battery chemistries, charger and cable types, range and efficiency parameters, electricity rates and plans, charging networks, basically the same topics that the early adopter nerds love.
I'm not saying that I love it, but the research and learning is part of the fun!

I haven't recorded specific mpkWh details, but ... temperatures have still been very cold, but last night I charged my car and left it connected all night, so it was 100% charged and had also had time to do a balance charge. (The total kWh vs time on charge indicates an average rate of 5.4kW ... actual charge rate is usually 6.8kW at the wall box so this suggests that a bit of low-power balancing may have been done).

Today I did my 2-way commute in ECO mode, did 10 mins cabin preheat x2, have covered ~32 miles and have returned home with 69% charge remaining / 91 miles on the GOM. This is better than what I've been achieving recently. :)

Edit: ECO mode is a little slower to get going but not really that noticeable if you generally have a light right foot anyway. :)
Does Eco mode affect the heating of the AC? I have a ZS Ev and find it doesn’t get as warm as it does in Normal mode.

Does Eco mode affect the heating of the AC? I have a ZS Ev and find it doesn’t get as warm as it does in Normal mode.
Eco definitely affects the heating/cooling, it's why I tried ECO once and have kept in NORMAL ever since. I've also set it for maximum air circulation when using AUTO on the climate, gets the cabin temperature to where you want it a lot quicker.

My Leaf24 would be about 70 Miles

Mg4 computer says ??

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221216_145402_MG iSMART.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216_145402_MG iSMART.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 138
I’m currently waiting for my MG4 and the old golf I’m using since letting the MG5 go only gets about 30 mpg instead of 55ish mpg it normally gets on these cold mornings and short repeated journey. Our 2015 leaf gets about 2.1 m/kWh in similar -5C starts with no preheating just standing on drive until clear. All much of a muchness really, all of them

I have my AC set to 23C Auto ... I didn't notice any difference in cabin conditions when drive mode was set to ECO.

My orange MG4 Trophy appears to have a standard range battery (not the advertised 64kWh) and yet is only giving me 222 miles after 100% charge.
My 2021 metallic blue MG5 SW has a 53kWh battery yet it's giving me 215 miles.
Below are readings taken from photos of screens that show the estimated range, eg a 40% charge has an estimated range of 80 miles and this multiplies up to 200 miles for 100% charge.
Columns E to G are the readings taken from my MG5.

1671205838774.png

The above tends to prove that my long range MG4 Trophy has much the same range as my older MG5 which is reckoned to do about 180 miles. Specifications show that both cars are about the same weight.

How can I tell how many actual kWh my MG4 can hold? Not what the specs say it should be, but what my MG5 actually is.
  • I could charge it from zero and use a meter to read the charge taken to reach 100%
  • I could weigh the car and compare it with the weights of standard and long range MG4s to find out if my particular MG4 Trophy has been fitted with a smaller battery than specified
  • I could ask my dealer, Arnold Clark, to do some tests (they've promised to ring me back...)
  • I could complain to Trading Standards that I've bought a car that does not match the specifications, especially the 284 mile range (on a summer day, slightly downhill, smooth road surface, wind behind me, etc, etc)
What it seems that I can't do is to return this car for a refund. I've tried. If anyone who's waiting for their MG4 Trophy in Volcano Orange would like to cancel their order and have mine, like tomorrow, please get in touch. It's going on Gumtree as soon as this foul weather brightens enough to take some pics!
In the meantime, does anyone with a long range MG4 get over 250 miles? And how many miles does your standard range give? I only need the current % charge and expected range - I can then work out the range for 100%.
Thank you!

I presumed you were joking when you said that you thought your Trophy appears to have a SE SR battery pack then carried on reading and realised that you were serious 😲

My orange MG4 Trophy appears to have a standard range battery (not the advertised 64kWh) and yet is only giving me 222 miles after 100% charge.
Below are readings taken from photos of screens that show the estimated range, eg a 40% charge has an estimated range of 80 miles and this multiplies up to 200 miles for 100% charge.

View attachment 13724

The above tends to prove that my long range MG4 Trophy has much the same range as my older MG5 which is reckoned to do about 180 miles. Specifications show that both cars are about the same weight.

How can I tell how many actual kWh my MG4 can hold? Not what the specs say it should be, but what my MG5 actually is.
  • I could charge it from zero and use a meter to read the charge taken to reach 100%
  • I could weigh the car and compare it with the weights of standard and long range MG4s to find out if my particular MG4 Trophy has been fitted with a smaller battery than specified
  • I could ask my dealer, Arnold Clark, to do some tests (they've promised to ring me back...)
  • I could complain to Trading Standards that I've bought a car that does not match the specifications, especially the 284 mile range (on a summer day, slightly downhill, smooth road surface, wind behind me, etc, etc)
What it seems that I can't do is to return this car for a refund. I've tried. If anyone who's waiting for their MG4 Trophy in Volcano Orange would like to cancel their order and have mine, like tomorrow, please get in touch. It's going on Gumtree as soon as this foul weather brightens enough to take some pics!
In the meantime, does anyone with a long range MG4 get over 250 miles? And how many miles does your standard range give? I only need the current % charge and expected range - I can then work out the range for 100%.
Thank you!
Cars will only do their advertised ranges under ideal conditions / test cycles and you will only see those figures in summer, if at all. This is the same as for ICE cars but more noticeable with EVs due to the smaller range in the first place.

Typically you can expect 10-15% less than the advertised figure in summer and maybe 25-30% less in winter.

So for an advertised 284 miles, I'd expect you to achieve 240-255 miles in summer, 200-210 in winter, although each journey will be very much subject to temperature, wind, gradient, acceleration vs. constant speed etc...

So what you are seeing looks normal to me. As to whether the MG5 is more efficient, some people have claimed that it does do a bit better than the MG4.

You'll get nowhere trying to reject ANY car because you can't reproduce the claimed range / top speed / etc... the figures they quote are those from government testing, so they are official even if always misleading.

View attachment 13724

Thank you!
My Trophy was at 100% this morning and estimated 223 miles, so just like yours. When I got it in October it would show around 260 miles at 100%. I've never been bothered to log actual miles per charge as I just tend to get in it and use it like I would any other car.

View attachment 13724

Thank you!
The key figures are your miles/kWh and usable battery capacity.
You can almost forget all of your other calculations. This miles/kWh figure will vary considerably depending on conditions and the type of driving. You should focus on this.
You can then multiply your mile/kWh by the usable HV pack capacity to get a better view on range. For example (and it is an example) in winter averaging 3miles/kWh is not unusual, at 60kwh useable pack that’s about 180miles range. In summer 5miles/kWh can be achieved on slower runs amounting to 300miles range. It really can vary that much. Much as in an ICE where you would look at MPG, in an EV focus on the miles/kWh.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back