MG4 Range

Thank you to all who replied. Really appreciate all your thoughts and opinions 😊

Also, why not buy the new ER model, launching in July, that offers 325 miles WLTP range? This would definitely be enough year round.
Is this the same size as the current mg4? But just with a improved range? Which would be perfect actually. The Chinese have found something:

First, my experience with an SE SR. Weekly 153 miles each way from the Cornish border to Basingstoke. I've stopped planning or fretting about this one. Best case one way is not an issue, I don't even set off with 100% sometimes. Worst case in the very cold weather I may only get 3.0 miles per kw/h, you sort the maths! However, lights/wipers etc don't seem to make much of an impact but a howling headwind does, only happens once in a blue moon. I'm not doing 70-75 either, it's the A303 so not all motorway.
So I'd say you'll be OK most of the time but very occasionally not, know where all the GOOD rapids are and have a contingency stop in your back pocket. With a modern rapid you'll gain more than enough to sort out a modest shortfall in the time it takes to empty your bladder.
Don't forget, charge when you can, not when you have to.
Personally, I'd arrange a 48hr test drive and do a proving journey myself.
Thanks for the share. Yep, I've asked them for a extended test drive and they've gone very quiet all of a sudden 😂

Ooh not heard about this one. If that's the case then I'd just wait for it. Thanks for the update.
It’s £36500 though, is it still within your budget?
Seriously, there must be a rapid somewhere enroute which you could charge for 15mins on your way back to London in an unlikely event of running out of charge?

Greetings everyone,

I'm considering getting the MG EV 4 but have some concerns and would greatly appreciate insights from fellow drivers who have experienced real-life driving conditions.

According to the manufacturer, the MG EV 4 claims a range of 280 miles on a single charge. My primary intention is to use it for a 170-mile motorway trip without needing to recharge. While I understand that in the summer, the car should theoretically handle the journey comfortably on one charge, I'm curious about its performance during the winter months. Considering the usage of heating, lights, and other electrical components, do you believe it would still be able to complete the trip on a single charge?

I'm seeking real-world experiences from drivers who have encountered similar situations. Any advice or insights you can provide would be immensely valuable. Thank you!
I've got the SR MG4. My experience driving M3 motorway and into London; in summer I get pretty much bang on 218 miles range. Typical winter range was 186 miles. Extreme cold winter ( -12C ish) I was down to 146 miles.

I would therefore suggest that the long range would have no problem covering 170 miles even in the very coldest of weather conditions...

I've got the SR MG4. My experience driving M3 motorway and into London; in summer I get pretty much bang on 218 miles range. Typical winter range was 186 miles. Extreme cold winter ( -12C ish) I was down to 146 miles.

I would therefore suggest that the long range would have no problem covering 170 miles even in the very coldest of weather conditions...
Wow, that's pretty good going. Thank you 👌

Yeah, it's not as if you need to wait till it charges to full, you're only putting on a bit of extra range to be sure of making it home. And even that, only on the odd occasion when conditions are really adverse. And I have some doubts about whether it would ever actually be necessary, just that it's best to have the contingency plan in your back pocket just in case.

IMG_9511.jpeg

Following my previous monthly posts, here's my average efficiency for June. Efficiency of 3.9 compares with 3.8 in May and 3.5 in April. That's an average real world range with a mix of driving of 240 miles in June. It's disappointing not to see 4 or more miles/kWh in these warmer months. I got 4.5 miles/kWh in my previous car in June last year. That was a Tesla Model 3 standard range, which is highly efficient. One thing I've noticed (and a few well known reviewers have also commented on this) is that the MG4 returns excellent efficiency relative to other EVs below motorway speeds but is relatively less efficient at motorway speeds, ie the usual difference in efficiency between low and high speeds is relatively high in the MG4. I'll post again at the end of July.

Given that the MG4 is suspected to under report the actual mileage travelled, I suspect the true reading might be a little better.

I see that Bjorn Nyland estimated the under-reporting at 2.4%. However, I'm not convinced it's consistent. I've seen different numbers for the same distance on different days, I think. It's a weird one.

View attachment 18639
Following my previous monthly posts, here's my average efficiency for June. Efficiency of 3.9 compares with 3.8 in May and 3.5 in April. That's an average real world range with a mix of driving of 240 miles in June. It's disappointing not to see 4 or more miles/kWh in these warmer months. I got 4.5 miles/kWh in my previous car in June last year. That was a Tesla Model 3 standard range, which is highly efficient. One thing I've noticed (and a few well known reviewers have also commented on this) is that the MG4 returns excellent efficiency relative to other EVs below motorway speeds but is relatively less efficient at motorway speeds, ie the usual difference in efficiency between low and high speeds is relatively high in the MG4. I'll post again at the end of July.
Fully agree with the efficiency conclusion. 40m/h is the sweet spot.

Normally I have been getting 3.5 (with a full car and luggage) to once 5.1miles/Kw on the motorway driving at 65mph.

However for the last two days I have been getting 2miles/kw with a full car and some luggage.
Might be the wind. Don't know.

20230702_163138.jpg
MG4 Luxury/Trophy consumtion june 2023 as reported by the car (will remember to take picture with miles next time):
Driving conditions mostly fair, normal ish speed 50kmt/31mph to 80kmt/50mph no motorway.

15,9kwh/100km = 3,9mls/kwh.
Distance 2114km = 1313mls.
Total 2140km = 1329mls
With reservation to possible calculation errors.
15,9kwh/100km corrected for 2,4% km underreporting. Is aprox 15,4kwh/100km / 4mls/kwh (15,9÷1,0351=15,36).
2114km +2,4%. Is aprox 2188km = 1360mls.
2140km +2,4%. Aprox 2215km = 1376mls

I see that Bjorn Nyland estimated the under-reporting at 2.4%. However, I'm not convinced it's consistent. I've seen different numbers for the same distance on different days, I think. It's a weird one.
Are you sure it's not decimal rounding that is causing this?

No, I don't think so. I have places around here I have checked the mileage to often enough to know how far it is, and they're generally coming in shorter in the MG4. One I reported on, from the house of an old lady I used to ferry home from choir practice to my house was 8 miles. 7.3 (I think, from memory) on the MG4. Except the other day I was driving in the opposite direction, straight from home, and happened to look down just after passing that house. 8.3 miles.

I don't get it.

Charged my MG4 for holiday use, so 100%, normally I charge to 80% only.

The app is quite optimistic at least!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230630-000514.png
    Screenshot_20230630-000514.png
    342.6 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Normally I have been getting 3.5 (with a full car and luggage) to once 5.1miles/Kw on the motorway driving at 65mph.

However for the last two days I have been getting 2miles/kw with a full car and some luggage.
Might be the wind. Don't know.
I drove up to Scotland yesterday at 70mph with occasional bursts over that. For the first 150 miles or so I was getting 3.3 - 3.4 miles/kWh which seemed fair enough to me considering the speed. Then it got really windy for the rest of the journey and I was mostly getting 3ml/kWh with some dips to 2.9 and even 2.8. It's never been that low before on this journey, even mid winter, so I guess the wind made quite a difference.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back