MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Really cheesed off. 1200 miles in and a mess. Could have made its way to my tyres. MG cannot knowingly allow the environment to be polluted, a recall is essential.

Best to get on the phone with your dealer.

Had car 4 days 150 miles discovered oil leek as its all over my drive I took it back to garage straight away this morning they thought it was coming from the diff but it’s not they have kept car investigating, anyone else had thisView attachment 11534
more likely to be production wax , than an actual oil leak .

Had car 4 days 150 miles discovered oil leek as its all over my drive I took it back to garage straight away this morning they thought it was coming from the diff but it’s not they have kept car investigating, anyone else had thisView attachment 11534
I think it will end up being just excessive production wax and not an actual oil leak .

I had more contact today from my dealer. Their SE LR Demo has done 45 miles since wiping up the stuff that is NOT gear box oil…and cleaning the whole area yesterday … reinspected today, whole area bone dry.

they said the will check it again after another 100 miles, but I am convinced the leak on my car is not gear box oil and I am happy with the explanation of what they believe it to be.

This is only for me, you guys and gals will need to make your own Minds up, but if the leak is not black / Grey and gloopy, as mine is not, then I am confident that I do not have an issue.

Back in my RAF days, we used to store Aircraft parts in Bees Wax paper, for the same reason another member has posted wrt protecting vehicles at sea for weeks on end. As this very much reminds me of this, I am satisfied.

anyway, as I say, this is just my opinion. Sure you will feel free to make your own minds up and hopefully none of us will end up experiencing anything sinister. 👍
Yes you are correct in your Diagnostics , even road testing a new car on PDI inspection the exhaust and engine can smoke that much you would think it's on fire and the wax melts and can drip on the floor causing what looks like a transmission oil leak . If you take a sample of the wax and rub it between your fingers it will dry out , whereas transmission oil will stay on your fingers .

Yes you are correct in your Diagnostics , even road testing a new car on PDI inspection the exhaust and engine can smoke that much you would think it's on fire and the wax melts and can drip on the floor causing what looks like a transmission oil leak . If you take a sample of the wax and rub it between your fingers it will dry out , whereas transmission oil will stay on your fingers .
Well it’s not wax then as it stays liquid on mine.

Sounds plausible. It doesn’t smell like oil. But there are 5 or 6 types of fluid plus the potential wax even in an ev, ultimately it’s all under warranty. I’ve decided to smash as much mileage in as possible. Should be up to 2k in two weeks so if something starts grinding. I’ll let you all know.
I agree with you, if they can’t be bothered to recall, or comment, why should we care. Run it till it breaks and then get your refund If it’s not fit for purpose.
I called my dealer today, no one available and no one could be bothered to call me back either. Really terrible service Leicester MG.
I’d happily just let them keep it and get my money back, ( paid for in full) but I’ve installed a Zappi and no alternative EV‘s available anywhere soon.

I agree with you, if they can’t be bothered to recall, or comment, why should we care. Run it till it breaks and then get your refund If it’s not fit for purpose.
I called my dealer today, no one available and no one could be bothered to call me back either. Really terrible service Leicester MG.
I’d happily just let them keep it and get my money back, ( paid for in full) but I’ve installed a Zappi and no alternative EV‘s avail the Catable anywhere soon.
Ora opening in Wolverhampton next month for sales of the Cat.

Well it’s not wax then as it stays liquid on mine.
Is it protective wax that is melting, or is it mineral oil from the reduction case ???.
This can be easily acknowledged and confirmed, by simply taking a sample of the oil and having it tested !.
We clearly have direction in knowing what we are dealing with here.

Last edited:
Is it protective wax that is melting, or is it mineral oil from the reduction case ???.
This can be easily acknowledged and confirmed, by simply taking a sample of the oil and having it tested !.
Know we clearly know what we are dealing with here.
Well i don’t think yet we do know what we are dealing with here yet Jeff, which I hope is what you meant to write,
About a week ago when this started I wrote we should not be calling this thread MG4 reduction gearbox oil leaks, but more MG4 oil leaks, because we have no idea what it was that is leaking, possible things it could be IMHO where of course gearbox oil, which is looking very much the favourite up to now, or battery coolant was another, or maybe something else, well the one that’s being highlighted as being something else, is wax protection that’s sprayed on certain parts, but I don’t believe it is, reasons for that being, nothing really gets that hot to melt that amount of wax if it is that, from the one area, and from the pictures I have seen here, there appears to be some where quite a lot that has come away from somewhere under the rear or the car, plus if it’s protective wax why is it only in this one area on every picture I’ve seen, do other parts of the car not need any protection from the elements while at sea front suspension parts steering gear etc surely they are also open to the elements also, but they are not covered in wax, no until somebody at one of the dealerships or MG headquarters gets the act together and checks with tests what the hell this substance is we can guess for evermore, Im still awaiting for my wife’s car to arrive but if this lot gets into the newspapers which it will, this could do a lot of damage and both on this and other forums I have read of people cancelling their orders because of these issues, there’s a major issue here and the dealers and MG Motors need to get to the bottom of it ASAP otherwise it could do a lot of damage.
Les.

Last edited:
An update. The reduction gearbox should contain 0.85 litre oil. Mine when drained contained 0.75 litre and was still leaking. They originally were told to refiIl to 0.85 exactly and check for leak but as it is leaking with 0.75 that’s been abandoned. The oil they need is due to arrive tomorrow and they will put the dye in it and see where leaking from with UV light. It sounds highly unlikely that this is a breather pipe problem according to the head service guy.

On another note, they gave me an MG 3 loan car which made me want to urgently reevaluate my life choices. A truly awful car. Fortunately for me, I had it for 1 day then the engine management light came on (4000 miles on the clock, that famous MG reliability 😂) so they swapped me into a top spec Micra which is actually quite decent.
Was there any update from this post where the dealer was testing with UV dye to find the leak?

Well i don’t think yet we do know what we are dealing with here yet Jeff, which I hope is what you meant to write,
About a week ago when this started I wrote we should not be calling this thread MG4 reduction gearbox oil leaks, but more MG4 oil leaks, because we have no idea what it was that is leaking, possible things it could be IMHO where of course gearbox oil, which is looking very much the favourite up to now, or battery coolant was another, or maybe something else, well the one that’s being highlighted as being something else, is wax protection that’s sprayed on certain parts, but I don’t believe it is, reasons for that being, nothing really gets that hot to melt that amount of wax if it is that, from the one area, and from the pictures I have seen here, there appears to be some where quite a lot that has come away from somewhere under the rear or the car, plus if it’s protective wax why is it only in this one area on every picture I’ve seen, do other parts of the car not need any protection from the elements while at sea front suspension parts steering gear etc surely they are also open to the elements also, but they are not covered in wax, no until somebody at one of the dealerships or MG headquarters gets the act together and checks with tests what the hell this substance is we can guess for evermore, Im still awaiting for my wife’s car to arrive but if this lot gets into the newspapers which it will, this could do a lot of damage and both on this and other forums I have read of people cancelling their orders because of these issues, there’s a major issue here and the dealers and MG Motors need to get to the bottom of it ASAP otherwise it could do a lot of damage.
Les.
Absolutely right. I would only add that the more people contact their salesperson expressing their concerns about their order and asking questions, the faster it is likely to escalate.

Was there any update from this post where the dealer was testing with UV dye to find the leak?
I am expecting an update later today, will post as soon as.

Many are speculating on here that it is production wax. I think this is wishful thinking. I definitely have a confirmed oil leak, not wax. Will update later.

I have not seen the problem first hand and agreed that some wax's can melt and drip. However after seeing other photographs I would say it is a light oil and probably a synthetic type, so relief valve would make sense on an overfill.

Well i don’t think yet we do know what we are dealing with here yet Jeff, which I hope is what you meant to
Hi Les - You totally correct, we ( they ) don’t know what this substance is yet ?.
That is why I suggested taking a sample of oil that is leaking and having it tested.
If it matches the oil that is inside the transfer case, then at least they know WHERE it is coming from.
WHY it is leaking is another story altogether.
It certainly look 👀 like light weight oil okay.
If it was a wax protection, which is sometimes used on components that are going to be stored.
A very crude test would be to take a sample and putting in a fridge !.
If it was wax type oil it would solidify.
Mineral / synthetic oil will not do this.
I think battery coolant can be almost certainly rolled out as it’s mainly water based I believe in this case.
It’s not brake fluid of course.
So, we are quickly running out of other options that DOES use oil on the car now.

I have not seen the problem first hand and agreed that some wax's can melt and drip. However after seeing other photographs I would say it is a light oil and probably a synthetic type, so relief valve would make sense on an overfill.
Hi Hallix73 like you have not seen this problem first hand I have not got the MG4 as yet but what you see saying is very possible but from reading trough these many post now over the last week or so nothing as been found yet I few have said thier car as had the gearbox drained And refilled to the correct level but it still is leaking on post here said he’s had been drained and refilled with less oil than it should have 0.7 as against 0.85 litres but I don’t know a more about the outcome of that hope will might get an update soon.
Les

Update - my sales guy is great at coms in fairness, early call today to update me. Their service manager has had no official info from MG in advance of my problem so is contacting MG UK today to see what the process is.
According to them there’s no guidance on draining / refilling or at least they can’t do that without HQ say so in this case. Makes sense.
I await next steps.

it should have 0.7 as against 0.85 litres
My service manager told me the reduction gearbox should be filled with exactly 0.85 litre oil after draining according to MG guidance they gave to diagnose/fix the problem. When they drained mine it only had 0.7 in it and it was still leaking. Hence refilling is not the answer for my car and why it seems overfill theory is unlikely to be the cause in my case at least. It is not wax.

Hi Les - You totally correct, we ( they ) don’t know what this substance is yet ?.
That is why I suggested taking a sample of oil that is leaking and having it tested.
If it matches the oil that is inside the transfer case, then at least they know WHERE it is coming from.
WHY it is leaking is another story altogether.
It certainly look 👀 like light weight oil okay.
If it was a wax protection, which is sometimes used on components that are going to be stored.
A very crude test would be to take a sample and putting in a fridge !.
If it was wax type oil it would solidify.
Mineral / synthetic oil will not do this.
I think battery coolant can be almost certainly rolled out as it’s mainly water based I believe in this case.
It’s not brake fluid of course.
So, we are quickly running out of other options that DOES use oil on the car now.
Thanks Jeff glad we agree, I sure hope the MG dealers are watching this thread and to them who might be can I make a suggestion, you take one of these cars that is leaking fluid from somewhere remove the under trays than clean the underside off and then put the car on a rolling road or a 4 post ramp and drive it for a few hours in that position maybe that might show something to them, I know Miles Roberts will be reading this thread so Miles can you please speak with your service personal to see if this is a possibility, I’m dam certain it could help find the cause and get this issue sorted out ASAP.
Les

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 513 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums