MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I don't think it is in my case either as the garage emptied refiled cleaned it down ran out in it and its still leaking but they weren't shore were from
Yes, it is clearly not just overfilling that is the problem. The fix could still be quite simple though (eg breather replacement). We ahould know soon.

”You couldn’t make it update”

My car, which has a definite oil leak, not wax, now has been refilled with oil and a UV dye so they can supposedly see where the leak is coming from. However, it cannot be road tested to see where it is coming from because the latest software update that they did while waiting has bricked the car, it cannot be turned on or driven. They are waiting for a fix for this so they can actually turn on the car and drive it.

In other news, they have 1 showroom car and 1 demo plus another customer car and all 4 have oil leak.
Bad luck. Hopefully they can reset it and sort it out. Thanks for persevering, we need problem to diagnose properly.

My car, which has a definite oil leak, not wax, now has been refilled with oil and a UV dye so they can supposedly see where the leak is coming from. However, it cannot be road tested to see where it is coming from because the latest software update that they did while waiting has bricked the car, it cannot be turned on or driven. They are waiting for a fix for this so they can actually turn on the car and drive it.

In other news, they have 1 showroom car and 1 demo plus another customer car and all 4 have oil leak.
Wow that would be final straw software update which bricks the car ouch.....

We ordered ours at the start of this week, which is due for delivery end of this year/start of next, so fingers crossed this issue has been resolved by then. I hope for those dealing with it, it doesn't take too long and you find the cause/a solution soon! :)

Perhaps the Chinese govt read this thread and decided to punish you?

We ordered ours at the start of this week, which is due for delivery end of this year/start of next, so fingers crossed this issue has been resolved by then. I hope for those dealing with it, it doesn't take too long and you find the cause/a solution soon! :)
Are they not on the sea for a couple of months ?
So other affected cars will still be on their way here 😳

Are they not on the sea for a couple of months ?
So other affected cars will still be on their way here 😳
Depends if it was just one bad manufacturing batch. Problem might have been fixed weeks ago for new cars or it only ever affected a few hundred, we don't know yet. If they are still making cars with the fault that would be much more serious.

Depends if it was just one bad manufacturing batch. Problem might have been fixed weeks ago for new cars or it only ever affected a few hundred, we don't know yet. If they are still making cars with the fault that would be much more serious.
Possibly but if they had a fault and knew they had a fault they should not have allowed the cars out to us.
They could have stopped them before they were released.
My guess is the next batch will be faulty also.
Even more so if they've only just found out about it
Either way they're not being fair to buyers and potential buyers.
The next batch should not be sold until we know they're ok.
This could destroy the brand in this country.
MG already has a reputation for being cheap Chinese whatever.
As much as we know normally they're pretty decent.
I've been party to a bad goods release when I worked for a certain extremely large red logo'd soft drinks company and they released a bottled water that ended up all being recalled and destroyed and was never sold again in the UK
But it's still available throughout the world.
Just not here.
The UK have very long memories and aren't very forgiving for things like this

Last edited:
Possibly but if they had a fault and knew they had a fault they should not have allowed the cars out to us.
They could have stopped them before they were released.
My guess is the next batch will be faulty alsoeven more so if they've only just found out about it
Either way they're not being fair to buyers
Well we don't know yet what they knew and when. My guess would be it is a bad batch, they didn't know until customers started having the issue and it is taking time to figure out the remedy. But it is only a guess, probably wrong, The communication has been poor, that needs fixing.

Just a thought. I read that as well as changing the oil one garage was advised by MG to change the breather cap too. Could the fault be with a blocked breather which lets the pressure build up forcing the oil out of the pressure relief valve?

Just a thought. I read that as well as changing the oil one garage was advised by MG to change the breather cap too. Could the fault be with a blocked breather which lets the pressure build up forcing the oil out of the pressure relief valve?
Yes it could be. However, at least one other person has a leak that doesn’t seem to be coming from the breather. They may be different problems in different cases.

Yes it could be. However, at least one other person has a leak that doesn’t seem to be coming from the breather. They may be different problems in different cases.
Most likely more than one cause but it would also explain why some people have still had an oil leak after emptying and re-filling if the blocked breather wasn't replaced and why it appears to be coming from the pressure relief valve.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back