MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Just got this reply from MG on Facebook 'Our technical team are continuing to monitor any cases raised, any concerns reported for the new MG4 module are being investigated as a priority.'
I also sent the CEO of MG UK an email, he hasn't replied yet!!

Just had my head underneath and I'd say it's definitely oil and not wax
Runs down my finger
I'm starting to seriously think about rejecting now but what else do you buy...
My ZS was sold to cazoo for £21400 it's back up for 24k
Would mean a 3 year old car for the same money as the MG4

20221014_172553.jpg

20221014_172518.jpg

Is this issue only on UK models
Apparently not there is talk of a French one but they're saying that had the breather valve also replaced
Rather than just drained and refilled personally don't think that just draining and refilling will fix the issue and by the looks of some owners it hasn't.
It has to be something else rather than an overfill.
An overfill would stop at the right level once it's spilled enough.
But those that have had them drained and the right amount put back in are still seeing leaks.

Could the fault be with a blocked breather which lets the pressure build up forcing the oil out of the pressure relief valve?
There isn't a separate pressure relief valve as the gearbox is not a pressurised device. The breather itself will work in both directions.

Just had my head underneath and I'd say it's definitely oil and not wax
Runs down my finger
I'm starting to seriously think about rejecting now but what else do you buy...
My ZS was sold to cazoo for £21400 it's back up for 24k
Would mean a 3 year old car for the same money as the MG4

View attachment 11852

View attachment 11853
I am pretty sure it is oil. Looks like transmission oil which is thinner than normal engine oil and hard to see (and this is why at least one dealer is trying dye to see exactly where the leak is coming from).

I think we’ll know a lot more next week, so I would recommend waiting a bit longer if you can. Would be a shame to reject if it is something that can be easily fixed. Of course, easy for me to say when I am still waiting for mine, I am sure it is very worrying to have this problem.

Looks like I was a bit premature in getting an EV charger fitted.
First I order MG ZS and get bored (and older) waiting for the damn thing then I swap my order for MG4 which now seems like it'll be delivered (perhaps) with oil leaks, bent and ill fitting undertray, intrusive nanny alarms and software that bricks anytime anyone looks at it wrong.
Sod it, I'm cancelling and keeping my ICE. At least I can rely on a clean driveway.

Apparently not there is talk of a French one but they're saying that had the breather valve also replaced
Rather than just drained and refilled personally don't think that just draining and refilling will fix the issue and by the looks of some owners it hasn't.
It has to be something else rather than an overfill.
An overfill would stop at the right level once it's spilled enough.
But those that have had them drained and the right amount put back in are still seeing leaks.
Totally agree got too be more than just overfill shame I sold my zs ev as I would just reject it ,now I will lose out money wise

I am pretty sure it is oil. Looks like transmission oil which is thinner than normal engine oil and hard to see (and this is why at least one dealer is trying dye to see exactly where the leak is coming from).

I think we’ll know a lot more next week, so I would recommend waiting a bit longer if you can. Would be a shame to reject if it is something that can be easily fixed. Of course, easy for me to say when I am still waiting for mine, I am sure it is very worrying to have this problem.

I genuinely don't want to reject the car as I do like it.
But I need a reliable car for work
I do permanent night shifts so buses and trains aren't an option for me.
And when you look at what else is out there for the money there isn't a great deal.
Not that's still under warranty anyway

And when you look at what else is out there for the money there isn't a great deal.
Understood. I hope MG sort a permanent fix asap.

I totally understand your concern and frustration and the oil leak needs sorting ASAP ( what ever it turns out to be ).
But myself, I think you DO still have a reliable car TBH.
The oil leak is so small that there is no way ( in my mind anyway ) that it is going to cause the car to fail at the side of the road or become a danger for example.
If MG had any major concerns in this department, they would advised owners to reframe from using their cars straight away !.
If this leak was really bad and as a result, damage had been caused to any part of the expensive the drive train on a large number of cars, then MG could have faced a huge bill for replacing major components on a lot of customers cars.
We have to remember here that MG have no idea how many miles are being covered in these cars.
Some drivers maybe covering 50 miles a week and some maybe covering 500 miles a week.
My guess would be that they have seen common evidence in the size of the leaks reported and have calculated how many miles a car can cover, before it gets down to a danger oil level and therefore then poses a threat to both the safety of the owner and the car itself.
The MG4 is brand new model and it's their first "from the ground up" EV from them.
Consider just how many thousands of parts go into producing this brand new model.
If the car had only 3 issues that required revisiting, then for a new model is pretty good really.
Look how long the VW ID3 has been in service and they are STILL struggling with software issues.
They have now offered up the software job over to China !.
This oil leak problem has to be sorted and I think it will be sorted.
But they have to find it, before they can fix it !.

For a second I thought I dodged the bullet. The oil has appeared in exactly the same place as on the video posted by beefyj. The car is white Trophy. Completed just over 140 miles. Will see if there is more in the morning. Time to contact the dealer...

For a second I thought I dodged the bullet. The oil has appeared in exactly the same place as on the video posted by beefyj. The car is white Trophy. Will see if there is more in the morning. Time to contact the dealer...
Sorry to hear that.

My car is being recovered to the dealer in the morning. I was told not to drive it until they’ve had a chance to assess it.

I totally understand your concern and frustration and the oil leak needs sorting ASAP ( what ever it turns out to be ).
But myself, I think you DO still have a reliable car TBH.
The oil leak is so small that there is no way ( in my mind anyway ) that it is going to cause the car to fail at the side of the road or become a danger for example.
If MG had any major concerns in this department, they would advised owners to reframe from using their cars straight away !.
If this leak was really bad and as a result, damage had been caused to any part of the expensive the drive train on a large number of cars, then MG could have faced a huge bill for replacing major components on a lot of customers cars.
We have to remember here that MG have no idea how many miles are being covered in these cars.
Some drivers maybe covering 50 miles a week and some maybe covering 500 miles a week.
My guess would be that they have seen common evidence in the size of the leaks reported and have calculated how many miles a car can cover, before it gets down to a danger oil level and therefore then poses a threat to both the safety of the owner and the car itself.
The MG4 is brand new model and it's their first "from the ground up" EV from them.
Consider just how many thousands of parts go into producing this brand new model.
If the car had only 3 issues that required revisiting, then for a new model is pretty good really.
Look how long the VW ID3 has been in service and they are STILL struggling with software issues.
They have now offered up the software job over to China !.
This oil leak problem has to be sorted and I think it will be sorted.
But they have to find it, before they can fix it !.
MG UK have no real idea as yet, cars are only now starting to appear at dealers.

I’ve written to my dealer (putting in writing my concerns rather than just phone/message) and stating I may, sadly, need to reject if the leak isn’t resolved to my satisfaction in the next week. (To keep things within the 30 days).
Very sad situation, but for me I can cancel early termination of my other EV.

My car lost 0.15 litre of the 0.9 litres of oil in the reduction gearbox in 3 days, 200 miles. I have no confidence that MG have made any such calculations as you suggest, at the rate of loss I had my gearbox would be half empty in a matter of days. They have a major problem and they need to communicate with owners urgently. Imagine how many drivers are out there who don’t follow forum and are completely unaware they have a problem.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 515 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back