MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

That sounds like it could take many months to complete, while cars will continue to be given to owners with an oil leak.
This is really starting to irk me.

On the SpeakEV forum a dealer is advertising used MGs for sale. Fair enough, this is a dealer with a good reputation and means that some people will be able to get into an EV without wailing for delivery.

Then it dawned on me that in some cases the dealer is selling the initial car at a profit. That car is being rejected due to an oil leak and is then being sold second hand for more than the original new price due to MG increasing rrp by £1000.

Conveniently this leads to higher profit for the dealer but leaves a rather nasty taste in my mouth.
MG are knowingly releasing vehicles that are likely to leak. They are not proactively advising owners of the potential problem and they are not proactively preventing risk of leak with the fix. Many owners will have developed a leak and be ignorant of the fact eg those parking on gravel driveway who do not frequent a forum. How can these owners be “culpable”? I hope the EA gets involved, it’s despicable behaviour from MG.
I do take your points and share your irritation. But not doing the right thing for owners now because a better fix might be down the track would in itself also be indefensible.
Yep...they look under it in the showroom before it has been driven anywhere and there are no leaks. :rolleyes:

🤔 All these negative posts and nothing to do with me😉

Not with the quality of my VPN

No, that's why I know it works😉

I spoke to Chorley's today and I am now keeping the car! I asked for a little financial incentive to do so and they obliged! I am impressed with their good customer service!

The car is booked in locally for the breather pipe and to check on the safety issue software update. pleased to be keeping it, it's a nice car, despite the issues.

I spoke to Chorley's today and I am now keeping the car! I asked for a little financial incentive to do so and they obliged! I am impressed with their good customer service!

The car is booked in locally for the breather pipe and to check on the safety issue software update. pleasedease to be keeping it, it's a nice car, despite the issues.
That’s brilliant. And the biggest bonus is of course… you get to continue to share your experiences with the members of this forum 🤪

The car is booked in locally for the breather pipe and to check on the safety issue software update. pleased to be keeping it, it's a nice car, despite the issues.
I was waiting to buy that!

Well played👍

Update on my car with the updated rebreather leak:

MG ordered another new rebreather so it meant I was without my car for 3 weeks (I actually had the courtesy car longer than I have had my own car)

For the avoidance of doubt, I asked to see the rebreather they removed and it is the same as the picture that someone posted above.

Hopefully it was just a faulty part, maybe it’s something more sinister. To ensure it is not, I’m going to drive normally for the next week to 10 days (I regularly drive long-ish distances) and will put my car on a lift again to make sure there’s no new oil leak🤞🏻.

In other news, it is a delight to have the car back again as was stuck with an ICE!

Today my car went to the dealership to fit the modified breather. Got a Nissan Micra as a courtesy car. Hope they work quickly. ;-)
How long are they keeping it for?

I left mine at the dealers for a few hours as I had things to do.
They did advise me they only invoice MG for 30 minutes labour and I could wait less than an hour to get it back.

Today my car went to the dealership to fit the modified breather. Got a Nissan Micra as a courtesy car. Hope they work quickly. ;-)
I feel your pain. Auto or manual? I’ve had a few when mine‘s been in. The manuals have been awful, no accelelation and then the turbo goes berserk , not the smoothest. The auto was better.

How long are they keeping it for?

I left mine at the dealers for a few hours as I had things to do.
They did advise me they only invoice MG for 30 minutes labour and I could wait less than an hour to get it back.
I left it there, because there are other issues, too. My work schedule does not allow for waiting and they will call me, when they are done.

Won't be rocket science hopefully, but I've seen updates going wrong on other brands and then you sit there forever, being unable to do anything.

But I'm optimistic, all will be sorted.

I feel your pain. Auto or manual? I’ve had a few when mine‘s been in. The manuals have been awful, no accelelation and then the turbo goes berserk , not the smoothest. The auto was better.
It might be a non-turbo. It has some miles on it and it's incredibly slow. But in the end I don't care, I just don't want to spend much time on problems with a brand new car. ;-)

So I got the car back. Took them three days to fix it. To be fair not only the modified breather was fitted, but there also were other issues to deal with - rear window heater at fault, main beam misaligned, wireless charging at fault and the familiar LKA and cabin temperature issues. They also applied all the available updates.

Well. I must say, if it stops leaking oil now, I'm fine with it. Apart from the cabin temperature issue, which MG is aware of, everything is fine now.

Mechanical faults have been sorted.

The latest infotainment version really improves the user experience. Volume adjustment via the steering wheel rocker was a bit wonky before - sometimes media volume was changed, sometimes the volume of the voice assistant. Now it never goes wrong. Seems to react better, too, but I might be imagining that. ;-)

Basically I am happy and relieved to see that progress is made and that they seem to be keen on improving the product. Right now I have nothing to complain about and I might even give the AWD model a shot when it comes out.

Good that it's fixed👍 Tesla's massive price drop might dent the AWD sales a little bit, a standard range Tesla is now looking about the same price as the AWD. I think I'd rather have a standard Tesla at just under 2 sec 0-60 slower than the mg4 AWD, better range, better top end speed, better car
Tesla at the price is going to dent sales of a lot of cars

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel