MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I have been doing some thread housekeeping so the post count may change.
Nothing has been removed.

Dropped my MG4 off at the dealer today to look at the leak. It’s not due in before Tuesday next week but I can’t use it while it’s leaking so they may as well have it. I’ve asked them to check the bulging under tray as well while they’re in that area.

I called the AA (again) this morning to get the car recovered. They sent a van out within 20 minutes of my call and the guy had a look (actual AA van this time) and he looked stuff up on his dashboard computer. He said MG have told them cars with the issue can be driven which is consistent with what others have been told. He said I should drive it there myself and he’ll follow me in case of problems.

So I did. They’re taking the car in and hopefully it’ll get fixed. They didn’t have any courtesy cars available and the AA gave me a lift back to my house. Really amazing service from the AA. On top of that, the cover MG pay for with AA is Relay Plus which gets you a courtesy car until yours is repaired. So I’m expecting to be able to go pick up a car from Enterprise in the next day or so.

Can’t fault the AA at all. The car is also a dream to drive. The garage/dealer could be doing a lot more to reassure me and get my new car in fit-to-drive condition though. They’re really not pulling their weight at all.

I can’t use it while it’s leaking so they may as well have it.
Sorry to hear you too have the leak. Unless they have recently changed their stance, advice from MG has been that the oil leak does not mean you cannot drive the car. I drove mine while leaking as did many others here and this was on the advice of MG. It would be interesting to know why your dealer has a different approach. If it was me, I would be asking to see the advice from MG re driving.

Siteguru has driven his for about 5 weeks I wouldn't be going without your car

Should be a positive good news story for the 2000th post

Sorry to hear you too have the leak. Unless they have recently changed their stance, advice from MG has been that the oil leak does not mean you cannot drive the car.
My dealer hadn’t seen the car to know where the leak was coming from. They advised to get the AA to have a look before I attempt to drive it to them. The guy who initially looked at it was contracted by the AA and didn’t have their computer system. He looked at it and told me not to drive it. The guy today was a proper AA guy and said that his system showed MG felt it was safe to drive. I don’t want it sitting on my drive making a mess, plus my oil is leaking out next to the wheel and brakes. If you’re told by a professional not to drive and decide to drive anyway, if you end up in an accident, you know the insurers are going to have a field day when you were told it was undrivable.

So anyone who gets a leak - contact the AA first and you’ll get better service - and a courtesy car!

To be fair (and AFAIK) there's only one place in the MG4 that it could come from. ;)

PS - #2000 :)
In fairness it could be coolant or brake fluid and I think the electric motor is also oil filled.

Further to my post last night, I can confirm that I too have an oil leak on my 3 day old car.

I have sent an email to the dealer (and copied the text onto the MG customer services email contact site). I have told them that I will reject the car and I have asked them to pick it up. I have also told them that this is non-negotiable.

A new car should be of such quality that it doesn't leak oil, a new car should also be fit for purpose, this is neither.

I have better things to do than get it repaired. I expect they will want to discuss it, but I am not going to.

Further to my post last night, I can confirm that I too have an oil leak on my 3 day old car.

I have sent an email to the dealer (and copied the text onto the MG customer services email contact site). I have told them that I will reject the car and I have asked them to pick it up. I have also told them that this is non-negotiable.

A new car should be of such quality that it doesn't leak oil, a new car should also be fit for purpose, this is neither.

I have better things to do than get it repaired. I expect they will want to discuss it, but I am not going to.
Totally avoidable

Sorry to hear about your new car. I understand your position. For me the real issue is not the oil leak - frustrating and annoying as it may be it will get sorted, any new car can have issues, we have to accept that. It’s the fact that dealers keep churning out new cars with oil leaks, which is completely unacceptable - it’s all been said many times before. Do MG really deserve customers when they treat them like this? I really cannot believe that they are still doing this. Indefensible.

Sorry to hear about your new car. I understand your position. For me the real issue is not the oil leak - frustrating and annoying as it may be it will get sorted, any new car can have issues, we have to accept that. It’s the fact that dealers keep churning out new cars with oil leaks, which is completely unacceptable - it’s all been said many times before. Do MG really deserve customers when they treat them like this? I really cannot believe that they are still doing this. Indefensible.
Agree, the if, buts and maybes of the potential extra wear the low oil levelay or not cause could be speculated and debated upon till the cows come home, and has!
Surely everyone has to be in agreement about the poor way the oil leak continues to be dealt with.
I have been given a bit of stick on this thread, I have never every said there would be any adverse wear or any damage just said no one knows, all I have done is call out MG and some dealers.
The fact new reports continue to roll in says a lot more about MG than I could

If it hadn’t been for this forum and others like it, this type of thing would rumble along unnoticed as owners would be told that it’s just your car or just one or two cars and they wouldn’t know any the wiser.
I think this is why some dealers BS, they rely on owners not talking to each other and establishing what is really going on.
Yes, you have to be careful of forum bias but it certainly provides a united approach to this sort of thing and gives owners the opportunity to gain as much information as they can.

We’re in room 101…

So now that a milestone has been laid 2000 posts is anybody yes ANYBODY, working for or on behalf of MG motors in the UK, taking any interest at all of what is being reported to them, it would appear not, so can someone please tell us your customers otherwise and together try to rebuild the confidence in the vehicles you are selling to us.

As I said above #1980that’s correct #1980 in this thread, the word is out that being, the MG4 is not all it could be in several areas but you treating owners who have issues the way you are will destroy your brand and people will look else where, of that MG you can be sure.
Les.

Well, I had a very swift reply from my dealer (Chorley's of Burnley). They will give me a full refund and I will return the car later this week. I am very pleased with their response obviously.

I feel sorry for the salesman, he was great, but as I explained to him, a 7 year warranty and I have a problem after three days...hmm.

Well, I had a very swift reply from my dealer (Chorley's of Burnley). They will give me a full refund and I will return the car later this week. I am very pleased with their response obviously.

I feel sorry for the salesman, he was great, but as I explained to him, a 7 year warranty and I have a problem after three days...hmm.
Pleased that you seem to have got a fast result. Your car will be on auto trader by the end of the week no doubt.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back