MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Hi again all you may remember a couple of weeks ago I said I had submitted a form to the motor ombudsman service about this oil leak issues, so I have now spoken with one of there advisors who told me they are not able to look into the problem as MG motors are not registered to there services,!!
But MG does acknowledge British courts of law? Or don't they participate in that either? :rolleyes:

But we haven't bought our cars from MG directly - we bought from franchised dealers. Under UK law our consumer rights are with the seller not the manufacturer.

FWIW I can't find my dealer (under the MG brand) in the Motor Ombudsman search tool. I can find them at that address but under the Toyota brand.

Mg Motors UK are accredited under the motor ombudsmans new car scheme

But we haven't bought our cars from MG directly - we bought from franchised dealers. Under UK law our consumer rights are with the seller not the manufacturer.
Ok, that's different in Germany then. Dealers are only "agents". All payments go directy to SAIC Motor Germany.

Mg Motors UK are accredited under the motor ombudsmans new car scheme

Well Ayoull that not I was told on the telephone by thier advisor but I agree this document does say otherwise and I will be calling them again as soon as I can to clarify what was told to me as this is most annoying, I also agree with siteguru above where he as said they found his dealer under Toyota when the adviser looked for my dealer while I was on the phone with him he could not find my dealer under MG but did fine them under Nissan.
Also can I wish you best of luck with the DVSA and this issue.
Les

To be honest when I looked at it after the journey and took the picture, the pipe looked pretty oil free inside, even in the clamp area.
I think the brass of the threaded tube I used is giving the yellow look.
Either way, a little misting in the lower section of tube will be fine, outside is totally dry, ran my finger all around the joins to be sure.
I'm just pleased that I've found a way of letting the unit have its full 900ml of lubricant, its a really unfair game MG are playing with their customers regarding the 750ml recommendation.

The oil cools as well as lubricates, come summer there's going to be some stressed MG gearboxes in hot climates I think. :confused:
maybe they found out 900ml was way too much (could be it expand like modern engine oil )and if it has a breather it must do and then the problem start .If they recommended to put 750ml of oil i would put that much then if something happen its their responsibility to sort .

maybe they found out 900ml was way too much (could be it expand like modern engine oil )and if it has a breather it must do and then the problem start .If they recommended to put 750ml of oil i would put that much then if something happen its their responsibility to sort .
That's a good point, MG said they had to go back to the manufacturer to check the right oil level and early car were overfilled, so the right level is avtually below 900ml - 750ml is what has been mentioned.

Others think this was just an attempt to reduce leakage by varying from the manufacturer's original spec.

It is hard to know for sure, we're groping in the dark. Perhaps an MG4 owner can ask either their dealer or MG corporate to confirm what the right level is?

That's a good point, MG said they had to go back to the manufacturer to check the right oil level and early car were overfilled, so the right level is avtually below 900ml - 750ml is what has been mentioned.

Others think this was just an attempt to reduce leakage by varying from the manufacturer's original spec.

It is hard to know for sure, we're groping in the dark. Perhaps an MG4 owner can ask either their dealer or MG corporate to confirm what the right level is?
yes and if they advise 500ml that is what i put , if something went wrong then its by the specs they gave .

It's just VERY suspicious that the MG5 oil capacity is listed at 900ml, no need for a reduction there because no one is complaining about leaks.
There's always a bit of wiggle room built into these specs of course, and having seen this 'box's diff ring gear through the drain hole, it's low enough in the casing to pick up and throw oil around with probably only 400ml remaining. So I guess MG can go down to that if need be instead of finding an honest and correct solution.
Will it be lubricating the box well enough to ensure a long life though ? Hmmmm.

My Nissan Leaf has a 2.4 litre capacity and little more than half the power of a 4 long range.

So 3 times the oil capacity if we're going with 750ml, half the power, built by Nissan, and these Nissan boxes are still known to fail. My one had actual fragments of gear teeth on the magnet when I changed it at 102k miles 😳

Right now I have received an email from MG Germany that my car might be affected from the oil leak problem. I should contact a dealer to have a look at it. Obviously they don't know that this has already been done over a month ago. Furthermore, they claim that the problem is due to overfilling at the factory.

I have included a translation by Google which may not be perfect, but you get the idea.

"Ladies and Gentlemen

Customer satisfaction is very important to MG Motor. That is why we constantly check our products and services for improvements, always have an open ear for our customers and continuously develop ourselves and our vehicles. We are now offering a product improvement for the MG4 Electric that we will implement for you free of charge.

An internal quality control has identified a small number of MG4 Electric vehicles leaking gear oil. After a thorough and intensive investigation of these individual cases, it was determined that this was due to a slight overfilling of the gearbox during production. The excess oil is then expelled through a bleed valve. However, this loss of transmission oil does not affect the drivability, safety or functionality of the affected vehicles.

Since your MG4 Electric is also affected, we would like to ask you to contact your MG motor agency partner and service base, who will check the transmission oil level free of charge and also retrofit an improved ventilation unit. Please plan a service time of 60 to 90 minutes. The required spare parts will be available from the beginning of March 2023 and will be called up by our agency partners for a specific vehicle as soon as you have made an appointment."

QrVH6Bc.png

OK, had the breather pipe work done due to leak 23/12/22, just been outside and seen a faint oil trail from rear of vehicle down the drive (it's quite steep towards the house so reversed in). Checked underneath and there looks to be oil residue mixed with debris on the side of the undertray. Booked in to the dealer 16/03. They said regards the overfill they had never been able to extract more than the correctly documented oil amount using a syringe so MG saying it was overfilled, you figure it out? Also mentioned they are expecting an update for LKA this week but couldn't specify any detail at this stage. I'll update as and when looked at.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 500 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back