MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

The more I read the more I think the problem is the ball valve breather as you say acting as a pump . A gearbox breather should not be one way. I can understand the swan neck pipe, that makes sense , but if you stick a one-way valve on it this just won't work. I have a theory as to why it is not as bad or no leak on some cars fitted with the modified breather. Maybe some cars have a breather without the ball valve , they would look the same on the outside but would operate differently. Just my thoughts.
or with the ball valve stuck open

That's speculation. It may well be a factor but we don't know that this explains everything. A lot of cars don't seem to leak at all (the vast majority if you believe MG).

There could be variations of spec of the gearbox or breather, tolerance changes, breather sealing issues, poorly applied fixes AND driving style/usage playing their part.
the ball valve will act as a non return valve for the oil always pushing oil out but never let it return back in the box . at least the ball valve have to be at a length far away from box

That's speculation. It may well be a factor but we don't know that this explains everything. A lot of cars don't seem to leak at all (the vast majority if you believe MG).

There could be variations of spec of the gearbox or breather, tolerance changes, breather sealing issues, poorly applied fixes AND driving style/usage playing their part.
Yes - speculation. I don’t know for certain if the leak actually exists - I have no first hand evidence - it could all be a conspiracy to discredit MG…

Yes - speculation. I don’t know for certain if the leak actually exists - I have no first hand evidence - it could all be a conspiracy to discredit MG…if mg dealers are acknowledge that there is the leak that the owners them selves are seeing how can it be a conspiracy?
how can it be speculation when owners themselves are reporting this and dealers are acknowledging it ?

Last edited:
The transparent 30cm extended tube I fitted had no oil residue inside when I looked at it today.
Oil was evident below the little holes in the original tiny breather I fixed to the end of that tube.

So oil is definitely passing the length of my first short pipe, maybe in squirts or foam form, who knows, but I don't think it's getting trapped in a vacuum.
When you removed the old extended one you constructed, was there any oil present on the inside of the tube? I don’t mean a visible film but any at all, perhaps detectable with a Q-tip? I wonder if it is an oil mist which then “condenses” in the breather cap.
That said, I suspect a very good route might be to video the behaviour in your current shorter clear extended breather tube as that should show if it is foaming causing it.

Last edited:
Hi Les, did you get back in touch with the Ombudsman? Even the MG website says they are a member:
View attachment 15568
No I haven’t yet but will was on hold yesterday for more than 40 minutes then gave up will have another go tomorrow it’s very strange and annoying I doubled check again and my dealer is not listed on the website which is also what they told me.
Les

Just give it back to the dealer and let them fix it, If they can't then go down the route of getting your money back as the car is not fit for purpose.

Where's the fun or challenge in that ? 😉 I hear what you're saying but they just blow smoke up your ass as far as I can see. Stick on a modded pipe that doesn't work and reduce your oil level to the point that it kinda does, I'm quite capable of doing that myself, have a couple of pipe mods that don't work either 😊
I really want my car to be running with the 900 ml I suspect it should have as I own it outright and want to hang on to it for a few years if poss.
I'm making sure anything I do is easily reversed and if SAIC come up with a better solution I'm all for that and will get it fitted.

Where's the fun or challenge in that ? 😉 I hear what you're saying but they just blow smoke up your ass as far as I can see. Stick on a modded pipe that doesn't work and reduce your oil level to the point that it kinda does, I'm quite capable of doing that myself, have a couple of pipe mods that don't work either 😊
I really want my car to be running with the 900 ml I suspect it should have as I own it outright and want to hang on to it for a few years if poss.
I'm making sure anything I do is easily reversed and if SAIC come up with a better solution I'm all for that and will get it fitted.
I applaud you for trying to find a solution but just wonder if it may affect your warranty down the track. Even though a different issue may arise dealers have a habit of trying to weasel out of repairs if any mods are done to the car.

When you removed the old extended one you constructed, was there any oil present on the inside of the tube? I don’t mean a visible film but any at all, perhaps detectable with a Q-tip? I wonder if it is an oil mist which then “condenses” in the breather cap.
That said, I suspect a very good route might be to video the behaviour in your current shorter clear extended breather tube as that should show if it is foaming causing it.
A vid would be the way to go, just really difficult to find a good location and secure fixing .

Short vertical tube didn't retain visible oil but the metre long one does. It has an unavoidable low spot where it dips down under a structural member before going up high behind the back bumper.
This low spot is solid with oil over several cm, like a sink or basin trap really, but a subtle curve rather than a 'u'.
The behind bumper idea might never work because of this trap effect :confused:

I applaud you for trying to find a solution but just wonder if it may affect your warranty down the track. Even though a different issue may arise dealers have a habit of trying to weasel out of repairs if any mods are done to the car.
I won't tell if you won't. Apparently the consensus is that MG staff never frequent these forums as we're a bunch of hysterical menopausal types in a panic over non- issues in general.

The reason some cars have it worse than others is merely down to usage.
Many owners just pootle around town at slow speeds with little churning or heat build up. Others drive at higher speeds that causes more heat and expansion. All will leak at some stage.
Mine leaked before I'd been on any quicker journeys. I was just driving on rural roads so probably nothing much above 50-55mph except for odd bursts.

I have several times in this thread wrote that I don’t agree with this reducing the oil level, the spes say 900ml and that will be what it was designed to have, that I think we can be sure off.
I had been thinking if there might be a way to relocate the breather valve myself away from the crown wheel, but I don’t know enough about it to be honest but don’t give up MACadoodle, you have had a great attempt so far and maybe number 3 might be the answer if it can be done fingers crossed good luck again and thank you.
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel