MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I agree but looking back on these 2500+ Posts a lot are done by the same posters either repeating themselves are adding comment to emphasise their kicking of the MG brand or support.
In fact a few don't actually own the car!
I understand that forums are designed to encourage debate, but sometimes the repeated digs get a bit boring.
I agree completely the repeated digs are getting a bit boring.
I genuinely can't be arsed anymore, this place is getting ridiculous. the situation, with the oil leak, is a mess as many others have said. I don't need to own an MG4 or have one on order to see that, I'm not stupid.

I agree but looking back on these 2500+ Posts a lot are done by the same posters either repeating themselves are adding comment to emphasise their kicking of the MG brand or support.
I understand that forums are designed to encourage debate, but sometimes the repeated digs get a bit boring.
It is not only this MG4 forum complaining about oil leaks. There are many other similar reports going back to October last year on the SpeakEV forum.

Unfortunately its not just this forum or indeed just UK, its reported in all countries and here in Spain. Here is a 38 min youtube video just this week with an interview, with José Antonio Gálvez responsable for the product and press of MG Spain and Portugal, about this oil leak and the many other problems which are being discussed in this forum. Dont want to listen to 38 mins of Spanish :D Just go to 3:53 and hear what the guy from MG says about the cause of the oil leak. Oh! dear! any body heard this before.

Sorry only in Spanish but you can turn on CC in youtube and select auto translate to English, not perfect but you can understand quite well.

Good on him for fronting up and doing it. Would be good if someone from MG UK did likewise.
Yes another boring dig!.

As Retsiba said a while ago this needs all owners to get together.

As Les and Ayoull have also said it needs individuals to submit complaints, only then will something get properly done to rectify this.

As Cocijo said this is potentially an issue everyone has and hasn't noticed yet or hasn't manifested itself due to driving style.

As many others are quick to point out I'm just boring and negative, I don't have a 4 or even have one on order anymore, so can't really comment on this, apparently.. however even I can see this needs brought to a head it's been dragging on for months and the lack of direct communication from MG UK, compared to their Spanish counterparts above, shows a distinct lack of respect for their customers and it astounds me that people can still defend them.

Good on him for fronting up and doing it. Would be good if someone from MG UK did likewise.
Yes another boring dig!.

As Retsiba said a while ago this needs all owners to get together.

As Les and Ayoull have also said it needs individuals to submit complaints, only then will something get properly done to rectify this.

As Cocijo said this is potentially an issue everyone has and hasn't noticed yet or hasn't manifested itself due to driving style.

As many others are quick to point out I'm just boring and negative, I don't have a 4 or even have one on order anymore, so can't really comment on this, apparently.. however even I can see this needs brought to a head it's been dragging on for months and the lack of direct communication from MG UK, compared to their Spanish counterparts above, shows a distinct lack of respect for their customers and it astounds me that people can still defend them.
I don't think you are boring, nor do I think you are particularly negative. I enjoy our conversations. Nor do I think you shouldn't comment because you don't have a 4 or one on order.

You do seem though to need to repeat your warnings on the oil leak over and over again, which I do find repetitive. You are not alone in this, there's a lot of hands-wringing from others too along the lines of "it shouldn't be this way". If anyone tries to put the oil leak into a wider perspective, they do seem to get jumped on.

I don't see anyone disagreeing with you that this is a mess and needs sorting out, I think we are all actually agreed on this. You point out yourself what the practical things are that will make a difference. That's a good list. So perhaps we should all just crack on with them a little more quietly? (me included).

Inevitably people with MG4s will be able to also contribute their direct experience or try things out if they are experimentally inclined. That's no reflection on you, it is just how it is. Equally, sometimes people will wonder why those without a car and without an order want to contribute so much - that isn't casting aspersions, it is genuine curiosity (eg what's in it for you?), please don't take it personally.

Enough said.

I agree completely the repeated digs are getting a bit boring.
I genuinely can't be arsed anymore, this place is getting ridiculous. the situation, with the oil leak, is a mess as many others have said. I don't need to own an MG4 or have one on order to see that, I'm not stupid.
Aw come on - 2600+ posts is nothing - aim for 3k+!
The repeated digs are mostly because people have gone past the criticism stage and the unbelievable stage and are now at the incredulous stage (Although they know it’s true).
We’ve learned a lot about what to expect from MG if you need them.
Taking a light hearted approach can sometimes help ease what is a frustrating situation, whilst still being supportive of the issues and trying to help where you can.
Overall, this thread has created a tremendous amount of awareness and that can’t be a bad thing.

The test unit was filled with 900ml…
Without filming the little devil in action I'm not sure how the oil is leaving the box, mist or squirts.
By the time I've reversed the car up on ramps and got underneath, the oil has settled in this low spot.

Found an ideal ready made solution to convert the high up fill hole to the breather outlet.
Brass M16 sump plug with an NPT 1/8 thread tap for fitting aftermarket gauges and whatnot.
Can fit an NPT brass elbow with a 6mm pipe connection on that and experiment from there.

If that fails, who knows what's best. The box needs a redesign, but will they do it without getting dragged through legal proceedings ?

I don't think you are boring, nor do I think you are particularly negative. I enjoy our conversations. Nor do I think you shouldn't comment because you don't have a 4 or one on order.

You do seem though to need to repeat your warnings on the oil leak over and over again, which I do find repetitive. You are not alone in this, there's a lot of hands-wringing from others too along the lines of "it shouldn't be this way". If anyone tries to put the oil leak into a wider perspective, they do seem to get jumped on.

I don't see anyone disagreeing with you that this is a mess and needs sorting out, I think we are all actually agreed on this. You point out yourself what the practical things are that will make a difference. That's a good list. So perhaps we should all just crack on with them a little more quietly? (me included).

Inevitably people with MG4s will be able to also contribute their direct experience or try things out if they are experimentally inclined. That's no reflection on you, it is just how it is. Equally, sometimes people will wonder why those without a car and without an order want to contribute so much - that isn't casting aspersions, it is genuine curiosity (eg what's in it for you?), please don't take it personally.

Enough said.
The reason people, myself included, are repeating ourselves is simply because this issue has not yet been properly dealt with by MG. Months have gone by , BS from MG regarding overfill, attempt at a bodged fix, and still owners are suffering from something that should never have happened in the first place if it had been tested enough. Until this is sorted properly then yes people should keep complaining , I certainly would, and if I'm being boring then I don't care, don't read it. It just needs dealing with properly.

The reason people, myself included, are repeating ourselves is simply because this issue has not yet been properly dealt with by MG. Months have gone by , BS from MG regarding overfill, attempt at a bodged fix, and still owners are suffering from something that should never have happened in the first place if it had been tested enough. Until this is sorted properly then yes people should keep complaining , I certainly would, and if I'm being boring then I don't care, don't read it. It just needs dealing with properly.

Exactly. MG's indifference could lead to every 4 they've sold to date suffering premature reduction gearbox wear.
Have they done millions of miles of testing with the unit at this newly recommended oil level and declared it sufficient ?

I'm guessing no :unsure:

Trouble is you can't avoid reading it - that's why there are 133 pages, and wading through all the messages is unavoidable to find the useful ones.

But carry on complaining, I wasn't complaining about the complaining, just explaining. 🤣🤣🤣

I think more people (with the oil leak) should report it to DVSA ... if they get involved then MG will have to take it seriously. (I received a follow-up email from a named contact at DVSA - I have replied to that email with the requested info).

Last edited:
My 'highlights' in this forum (I don't have a MG4, but want to buy one as all hardware and some software problems are solved):
  • There are MG4's with transmission fluid leaking from the breather on the transmission box
  • It isn't variant specific
  • Its happening in UK, Spain, Germany, French and ?
  • Specs from the manual: 0.9 l Shell E-fluidd E6 iX for the transmission box (same as MG5) #158
  • The transmission box is filled with fluid for lifetime (180.000 km?) #2493
  • Lowering the fluid level didn't solved the problem
  • The new breather pipe stopped the leaking in some cars, but not in all
  • Communication about the leaking subject between MG and customers is bad, disappointing and frustating
  • A suggestion is made that maybe windage air leaks from the motor to the transmission, pushing fluid into the breather #346
  • Lowering the volume of fluid might be bad for the transmission box #2373
  • Maybe the leak is temperature related? #2392
  • A rolling road test results in 1,5 ml fluid leaking from the breather; the temperature of the transmission box was 90-95⁰ C (its normal) #2449
  • Probably the issue is not caused by excessive heating but by the positioning of the breather fitting directly in line of the crown wheel oil fling. As things heat up the expansion of air/oil in the 'box seems to push tiny blobs of oil out of the breather after they a #2449
  • In 2008 Hyundai Motor Co patented their invention 210 of preventing leaking fluid into the breather. #2532 #2533
  • The breather is a one-way valve: to let pressure air out and prevent dust, moisture come in. Maybe the fluid is building up because the vacuüm #2477
  • An experimental longer tube didn't stop the leaking, neither did a long tube without the breather #2466 #2602 #
  • In Germany their is a recall starting in march for cars with the leaking problem; the fluid will be lowered and the new breather pipe installed #2584
  • Some people report the leak to DVSA

At first, I thought that the issue might have been due to the viscosity of the transmission fluid as someone on here mentioned that it was different to the fluid used in other MG models, but now I am not so sure.

Surely after MG Motor Europe performed then their 120,000 km endurance test, there should have been an inkling that someone wasn't right?

Ok on a positive note. I am keeping an eye on my potential oil leak and I'm glad to say that at 1300 miles and some 70 mph motorway driving as yet I do not appear to have a leak. Now I've just jinxed it , hope not.😃
Only thing is, I didn't have the leak either after the box spewed oil for 7 weeks and arrived at it's 600ml happy spot.
No idea what it started with but it may well have lost 1/3rd of its oil.

If the unit sheds enough oil, be it by leaking or by the dealership draining it, it will stop dripping.
Those kind of numbers make me twitchy though, I would be aiming for a max 10% tolerance on fill volume.

Surely after MG Motor Europe performed then their 120,000 km endurance test, there should have been an inkling that someone wasn't right?
A generic problem that you often find with accelerated testing is that it is not actually done on a production standard car. The first iteration of real world testing is performed by the initial owners.

A generic problem that you often find with accelerated testing is that it is not actually done on a production standard car. The first iteration of real world testing is performed by the initial owners.
It sounds like for the undecided a MG4 v2.0 is the one to go for then.

Personally I had been looking at an MG4 to replace my current 2018 ZS 1.5 Exclusive but after watching all of these issues regarding the lock-in, oil leaks, countless software issues, I might end up with another car brand though Renault will be off my list. I just don't think much of the Megane E-Tech.

Given the price differences between the MG4 and the mainstream EV's, it is likely that the purchase will be second hand.

Renault will be off my list. I just don't think much of the Megane E-Tech

doesn't matter how you you measure it, unless cheaper is better!! but superior in every way. Quality ,functionality, dealer/manufacturer experience all better

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back