MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Possibility but 2 different dealers had it in and was checked by both 2 different technicians as I think they were fed up of me going in the garage with issues as I have had a few different issues
If they had properly road tested it would never be returned with oil coming out worse than before. Perhaps as you say they are just trying to get rid of you quickly.

It is a bit baffling though because fitting the new breather isn't a hard job, most people could do it if they had access to a ramp, so it is hard to understand why so many dealers are struggling with this unless there a complicating factors we are not aware of.

If they had properly road tested it would never be returned with oil coming out worse than before. Perhaps as you say they are just trying to get rid of you quickly.

It is a bit baffling though because fitting the new breather isn't a hard job, most people could do it if they had access to a ramp, so it is hard to understand why so many dealers are struggling with this unless there a complicating factors we are not aware of.
they signed of the paperwork as all ok no oil leak road tested.i not noticed it until start weekend due to driveway patched I have took photos of under tray there’s lots more oil leaked last time was only very small amounts

Attachments

• 30B8A677-C705-4E2D-802C-89E1D5F1CB2D.jpeg
    30B8A677-C705-4E2D-802C-89E1D5F1CB2D.jpeg
    415.8 KB · Views: 103
  • D419575D-249A-4760-BBD3-E4119536E244.jpeg
    D419575D-249A-4760-BBD3-E4119536E244.jpeg
    469.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 1C33A724-A9EE-4D6F-8836-49524C75B590.jpeg
    1C33A724-A9EE-4D6F-8836-49524C75B590.jpeg
    703.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 3C10229F-CD5E-4308-8B22-5F5C4C5AE6DB.jpeg
    3C10229F-CD5E-4308-8B22-5F5C4C5AE6DB.jpeg
    295.4 KB · Views: 104
they signed of the paperwork as all ok no oil leak road tested.i not noticed it until start weekend due to driveway patched I have took photos of under tray there’s lots more oil leaked last time was only very small amounts
I wonder how much they drove it. I would want to do 100 miles before handing back but if they just went up the road, this is no great surprise.

I wonder how much they drove it. I would want to do 100 miles before handing back but if they just went up the road, this is no great surprise.
They had the car for 2 weeks used it everyday for there technician to drive home he did around 200 odd miles in it.overall ownership has been 22 weeks in garage 12 weeks out that time for repairs. that’s full weeks also a few odd days here n there it’s a nightmare

They had the car for 2 weeks used it everyday for there technician to drive home he did around 200 odd miles in it.overall ownership has been 22 weeks in garage 12 weeks out that time for repairs. that’s full weeks also a few odd days here n there it’s a nightmare
Ok, then I suppose they did what they could but the leak seems to take time to show up for people, perhaps related to specific driving conditions/routes? Yes, I understand it has been a nightmare and I don't envy anyone with it. Baffling really why this fault is selective and fixed for some, not others. Makes me think that there have actually been a bunch of changes on the production line that we don't know about.

All about oil levels I think, I'm sure macadoodle said it stops at about 600mls.
Possibly draining them and just putting about 600mls in with the extra bit rubber hose

How many of the new breather pipe have failed
We have this information from the poll, but I don't think people have been updating it recently.

It could be that but really we are just guessing, if it were that simple I think there would be a much better fix rate.
It's MG they probably aren't all filling/emptying it the same. A standard approach does not seem to be the MG UK way.

Haha, appreciate that Macadoodle, I'll do the change initially with the "correct" level and see how I get on, I'm expecting it to leak again, at least a little anyway!
out of curiosity before I get a chance to look is there the usual fill level hole where it'll start to come drain back out if the cars level etc. to set the diff at the correct level.
No it's a fill hole only I'm afraid, can't really expect any common sense design with this one unfortunately :rolleyes:

I had a 20+ mile each way trip to Glasgow at the weekend, doing motorway miles most of the way. Took a look under my car this morning and it looks dry. 🤞
I hope you drove it like a rental! ;-)

I'm doing 10 miles on the German Autobahn twice a day and I'm really enjoying myself. ;-) It has been bone dry since the modified breather has been fitted and I think that's solved.

Fingers crossed for yours, too! (y)

The breathers that have cured it really need an owner to drain the oil and check the amount, as said previously it's a big ask if your not mechanically minded.
Would answer the question of breather, lack of oil or both

The breathers that have cured it really need an owner to drain the oil and check the amount, as said previously it's a big ask if your not mechanically minded.
Absolutely agree, but can't be arsed to do it. 😁

Last edited:
Ns
Oil being delivered tomorrow so will try and get the oil changed the next few days and report back. 🤞

This, unfortunately, is the inconvenient truth. They'll all 'fix' themselves once the 600ml mark is reached I think, even with the original breather.
Is around a pint of oil sufficient to protect it for it's entire service life ? I guess we'll find out in the coming years as MG will never check or change it, sealed for life you see :rolleyes:

When MG did my breather mod they also drained and “refilled” the gearbox, no doubt to a lower level which itself would have probably “fixed” the leak. As others have mentioned if this level is sufficient for long term reliability I wouldn’t know, thankfully I believe the whole motor / gearbox unit is covered by the full 7 year warranty so that will be sort of piece of mind for a lot of owners.

This, unfortunately, is the inconvenient truth. They'll all 'fix' themselves once the 600ml mark is reached I think, even with the original breather.
Is around a pint of oil sufficient to protect it for it's entire service life ? I guess we'll find out in the coming years as MG will never check or change it, sealed for life you see :rolleyes:
I will probably at some point change my oil as I don't believe it should last a lifetime. Probably looking at around 20k which for me will be around 16 months of ownership. Hopefully it will still be in good condition and at a reasonable level. Do you think MG will be doing a check on condition and possibly level at 1st service due to the leak issue ?

I will probably at some point change my oil as I don't believe it should last a lifetime. Probably looking at around 20k which for me will be around 16 months of ownership. Hopefully it will still be in good condition and at a reasonable level. Do you think MG will be doing a check on condition and possibly level at 1st service due to the leak issue ?
giphy.gif

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel