MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Had my response from the DVSA, they're not pursuing the issue further.
Screenshot_20230612-120203.png

I have today changed the reduction box oil on my late December 2022 build and March 2023 delivered non leaking Trophy as I said I would sometime ago in a distant thread.

My driveway dose not allow a perfect side to side level plus the car had the rear up on ramps so this may slightly affect how much I managed to drain.

It has covered just under 3300 miles now and the oil drained still looked in good shape but with a grey hue rather than looking like limeade when new. The magnetic drain plug had a good coating of fine metal paste so was doing its job.

I managed to extract and replace just under 700ml so I would have to say the fill must be between 700 and 750ml from factory at a guess.

Anyway, all back together and running the same as before I am glad to say.

I had a slightly worrying moment yesterday. Drove 50 miles to go to a concert, parked in a multistorey car park in a bay which was on a slight slope. Came back to see a trickle of liquid trailing from the rear of the car. OMG! I've never had the oil leak problem!

It was water. Hot evening, I'd been running the aircon the entire journey.

I have today changed the reduction box oil on my late December 2022 build and March 2023 delivered non leaking Trophy as I said I would sometime ago in a distant thread.

My driveway dose not allow a perfect side to side level plus the car had the rear up on ramps so this may slightly affect how much I managed to drain.

It has covered just under 3300 miles now and the oil drained still looked in good shape but with a grey hue rather than looking like limeade when new. The magnetic drain plug had a good coating of fine metal paste so was doing its job.

I managed to extract and replace just under 700ml so I would have to say the fill must be between 700 and 750ml from factory at a guess.

Anyway, all back together and running the same as before I am glad to say.
That's good to know there was a decent amount of oil in it (not quite the 900ml as originally stated but more than I was worried would be in it). Mine too is a late 22 build Trophy which has not leaked. I too intend to change my oil but not until 20k so I can get a good idea how the oil will hold up over a decent amount of miles and to hopefully reassure me of it being ok for at least another 20k miles . It's at 6.5k miles now and 🤞 all is well.

That's good to know there was a decent amount of oil in it (not quite the 900ml as originally stated but more than I was worried would be in it). Mine too is a late 22 build Trophy which has not leaked. I too intend to change my oil but not until 20k so I can get a good idea how the oil will hold up over a decent amount of miles and to hopefully reassure me of it being ok for at least another 20k miles . It's at 6.5k miles now and 🤞 all is well.
Yep, I think I could have run longer on the initial fill having now seen it but intrigue got the better of me!

What’s the latest news on this oil leak debacle?
Has it been correctly fixed in the production line?
Will it also be an issue with the XPower model?

What’s the latest news on this oil leak debacle?
Has it been correctly fixed in the production line?
Will it also be an issue with the XPower model?
It has been extremely quiet on this, which presumably means that people are not suffering from it any more - at least on new cars. There appears to have been a fix on the production line back sometime in November 2022 that means that new cars don't suffer from it.

Of course, there are cars produced before then which will still be on the used market. The fixes at the dealers (oil level and revised breather v3), also appear to have worked, at least for most people.

We have never learned if MG changed the gearbox design or not during production. There is still speculation as to whether it was fixed properly and what the long term effects of a lower oil level will be. However, there seems to be no evidence of later problems and members are steadily racking up the miles.

The box seems to hold 700ml if fitted with the revised breather, It appears to work ok with this amount. I know my own one dropped to 600ml for a while before I moved the breather to a side position.
Who knows if later transmissions have been modified to successfully hold the apparently specified 900ml, MG will never tell, transparency ain't their thing.

If you intend keeping your car for a while I would say changing the oil every 50k max miles is probably a good idea.
Many people seem to believe that the warranty will cover everything but I think the chances of getting a new reduction box at say 5 years and 60k miles just because it's whining a bit are ZERO. We can't even get a chirpy aircon compressor taken seriously on brand new cars :(

Mine had 3 repairs which all failed even with new breather mine was from the first batch.the breather v3 was the worse from all repairs.car has been rejected as can’t take that risk nor willing too for another 3 years.

I got mine in May this year. Whilst there are no drips on the drive, the undertray has damp patches on it, so it is losing a small amount.
Ours is the very same, never been any drips on the floor and it is one of the very first, but when the car had its recall done for the door locking issue at Chorley MG they said they had changed the breather but the tray as still got a mist on it no idea if the oil levels where changed they could tell me as the workshop guys had gone home just said it’s fixed
Les

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel