MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Ours is the very same, never been any drips on the floor and it is one of the very first, but when the car had its recall done for the door locking issue at Chorley MG they said they had changed the breather but the tray as still got a mist on it no idea if the oil levels where changed they could tell me as the workshop guys had gone home just said it’s fixed
Les
Mine was covered on the 3rd fix driveway had 6” wide circles put a paint tray underneath I don’t think any oil was left inside I then rejected it and it’s been on my driveway for 4 months not used.had independent. Engineer report done he said I’m doing the right thing rejecting and has seen a lot of mg cars with faults,lots will be fine but very small amount are still faulty I had severa faults with my mg4 just don’t buy mine when it goes back in 2 weeks Time lol

Just in the middle of doing my second oil change now on 39k, last one was at 21k so it's done 18k since, again the oil is pretty black & I'd say ready for a change from looking at it, a little bit of fine metal paste on the magnetic drain bolt but no where near as much as the first change which was reassuring.

My main curiosity was how much oil was left to drain......... well I got exactly 800ml & now it's just an occasional drip whilst I have a brew (obviously still with the rear in the air on ramps).

I'm pretty happy with that as I put a tad over 800ml back in last time but accounting for the ramps & drips I'm pretty confident I've not lost any at all since the last drain & fill at 21k miles.

Mine has one of the first revised breathers fitted at a couple of days old last November when I took delivery & touch wood seems like it's been doing its job on my car at least, just for anyone that's interested.

Cheers Stephen

I'm going to fill with 900ml and see if i get any evidence of leaking or "finding it's level" 👍

Attachments

• 1000019116.jpg
    1000019116.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 132
Just in the middle of doing my second oil change now on 39k, last one was at 21k so it's done 18k since, again the oil is pretty black & I'd say ready for a change from looking at it, a little bit of fine metal paste on the magnetic drain bolt but no where near as much as the first change which was reassuring.

My main curiosity was how much oil was left to drain......... well I got exactly 800ml & now it's just an occasional drip whilst I have a brew (obviously still with the rear in the air on ramps).

I'm pretty happy with that as I put a tad over 800ml back in last time but accounting for the ramps & drips I'm pretty confident I've not lost any at all since the last drain & fill at 21k miles.

Mine has one of the first revised breathers fitted at a couple of days old last November when I took delivery & touch wood seems like it's been doing its job on my car at least, just for anyone that's interested.

Cheers Stephen
Jeepers, you're certainly putting the miles on ! Good to know it's holding 800ml, I think you'll be fine with that if you're on a 20k change schedule.
Weird how its turned black yet again though :unsure: I wonder if it's break in silt still in suspension or as a result of oxidation due to heat, it is a small amount of oil.
I've put 9k on mine now, presuming there's still 900ml in there as my side breather seems to be dry so far, probably ignore it for another year or so :)

Thanks spence, any other issues after 39,000 miles?
Hi, apart from the original oil leak on delivery it's been spot on, still rattle free and holding up well,

I may have started to get a sort of bush sounding creak when I'm maneuvering I've noticed but very slight & not always there so I need to keep an ear out but I've barley used the car over the summer holidays tbh.

Cheers.

Jeepers, you're certainly putting the miles on ! Good to know it's holding 800ml, I think you'll be fine with that if you're on a 20k change schedule.
Weird how its turned black yet again though :unsure: I wonder if it's break in silt still in suspension or as a result of oxidation due to heat, it is a small amount of oil.
I've put 9k on mine now, presuming there's still 900ml in there as my side breather seems to be dry so far, probably ignore it for another year or so :)
Hi Macadoodle, good to hear yours is still holding up well & all is good. Yeah it was more grey on tipping it out really & didn't really smell of anything like the yellowy fresh stuff does.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with it being a smallish amount of oil and oxidation due to the heat, I never really cruise at prolonged high speed but 90% of the milage I do is 2x 130 mile stints daily so I imagine there's a lot of heat building up there instead of lots of short journeys.

Yeah it's totting up, not really used it over the summer holidays at all but school starts next week & looking forward to getting back in it.

It'll get done officially at the 60k MG service next so I shouldn't have to get on my back until nearer 80k now hopefully!

Cheers Stephen

I'm going to fill with 900ml and see if i get any evidence of leaking or "finding it's level" 👍
The spec for a refill is 750 ml, so you are about spot on. The 900 ml is for a "dry" fill, not a refill.

Can I ask what oil did you use and where you got it from
Thank you
Les
The OE oil is Shell SL2808 but is a bit of a mare to get hold of. MG dealer service departments can supply it.
Apparently it is Shell E6 iX which is, I think, a 75W oil but specifically for wet motor EV applications, so is likely non-conductive.

Last edited:
Can I ask what oil did you use and where you got it from
Thank you
Les
Hi Les - Somebody on another forum was trying to track down some of this oil and had no luck.
So, he contacted Shell direct and was told it was not available to buy in the U.K. and only available via your official MG dealer.
Of course, they did not want to supply details of a suitable alternative oil !.
Here is the spec sheet and some contact details for Shell.

IMG_0912.jpeg

IMG_0913.jpeg

Hi Les - Somebody on another forum was trying to track down some of this oil and had no luck.
So, he contacted Shell direct and was told it was not available to buy in the U.K. and only available via your official MG dealer.
Of course, they did not want to supply details of a suitable alternative oil !.
Here is the spec sheet and some contact details for Shell.

View attachment 20240

View attachment 20241
Hi Jeff thank you for that yeh I remembered this was a problem in the past somewhere being unable to get hold of this oil which is why I asked Wigglepig what he had used and he has replied above #3291 HEY can you believe that 3291 post in this thread about and oil or oil leaks my god.
Les

Apparently it is Shell E6 iX which is, I think, a 75W oil but specifically for wet motor EV applications, so is likely non-conductive.
As far as I know, the field windings are not oil cooled on these motors. I've had a £10 litre of synthetic auto tranny fluid lubricating mine for the last 8000 miles, pretty much what Tesla uses I think.
Zero issues, quiet and smooth as 🧈

Just another quick update for anyone that’s interested, I’ve just changed the diff oil again @ 56k miles.

it turned into a bit of a damp nightmare this time as the square drain bolt was seized/rusted solid and ended up rounding off, fortunately a “twist” socket extractor (lifesaver) worked a treat & bit into the soft drain bolt head. It was that seized I had to jack the wrench up to get it to start moving along with copious amounts of penetrating oil, got there in the end!

Anyhoo, once drained I got exactly 800ml of black oil out again which seems my car at least, will keep this level as this was exactly what I drained last time which is re-assuring, also very, very little swarf as expected now.

I was going to get the dealer to do this at the next 60k service but I wanted to know exactly how much came out / went in myself & decided as my warranty runs out at 60k ill most likely do anything using a local HEVRA garage for a stamp or myself going forward. 👍

Attachments

• 8EEB8C47-E6AC-440A-AF5B-462030F6E27D.jpeg
    8EEB8C47-E6AC-440A-AF5B-462030F6E27D.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7646.jpeg
    IMG_7646.jpeg
    449.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7644.jpeg
    IMG_7644.jpeg
    372.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7643.jpeg
    IMG_7643.jpeg