MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Collection day for us today can’t blood sleep tonight think I’ll get up and pour a glass of something just got to decide what Beer, Whiskey, G&T, wine, or a brew not sure what to have.
Les.
I've got a bottle of amber nectar put aside for when my car arrives.

It's gearbox oil that I can use to top up after leaks occur......

Asked another “I love my MG4, had it two weeks” owner if they’d looked underneath last night…….they hadn’t, when they did they found a leak. Honest to god.
This is why I’m struggling to understand why MG have not been in touch with all new owners urgently. I’m being told I can’t drive my car due to the potential damage this could cause. You and I know there are many more out there blissfully unaware, for now……

Asked another “I love my MG4, had it two weeks” owner if they’d looked underneath last night…….they hadn’t, when they did they found a leak. Honest to god.
To be honest I'd rather all cars not just some had the problem. This suggests that they are all built to the same standard and either share a common failure point, or more likely have been prepared in a consistent systematic (but incorrect) way, perhaps by overfilling the gearbox oil.

Has there been any analysis made as to whether this issue only affects the LR models, or is the SR model also affected? (Different motors between SR and LR - don't know if the reduction gearbox is the same).

Has there been any analysis made as to whether this issue only affects the LR models, or is the SR model also affected? (Different motors between SR and LR - don't know if the reduction gearbox is the same).
I was wondering exactly the same thing?
Please read #478 page 24 of this thread
Les

I decided to cancel my order! Will keep looking at this thread and hope everyone's issues are sorted to their satisfaction.
A good decision.
Taking a step back (maybe) until issues are sorted seems a measured and informed response.

If you are simply buying something else, all the best for your next car too.

This is why I’m struggling to understand why MG have not been in touch with all new owners urgently. I’m being told I can’t drive my car due to the potential damage this could cause. You and I know there are many more out there blissfully unaware, for now……
Agreed.

For our Spanish speakers a summary of present knowledge or at least a personal opinion

What he appears to be saying is that the oil leak is caused by the UK dealers (and Brexit?) not doing a proper PDI and because the Spanish dealers do proper checks that is why they don't have the oil leak problem in Spain.
Perhaps some dealers rushed the cars out to meet sales targets and perhaps MG UK were slow at sending out the PDI information but it doesn't explain why these leaks are appearing from cars supplied by most dealers.

What he appears to be saying is that the oil leak is caused by the UK dealers (and Brexit?) not doing a proper PDI and because the Spanish dealers do proper checks that is why they don't have the oil leak problem in Spain.

lol I've heard Brexit blamed for some funny stuff but an MG4 oil leak is beyond belief :D

You can set the video to auto-translate under the Settings cog, and click on the Subtitles icon to enable them. It's not fantastic but it gives the gist of what's being said. :)

Perhaps some dealers rushed the cars out to meet sales targets and perhaps MG UK were slow at sending out the PDI information but it doesn't explain why these leaks are appearing from cars supplied by most dealers.
There might be something to be said for cars rushed out without a proper PDI. The issue of the loose undertray my dealer said would not have happened with them, as they say as part of their PDI they put the car up and have a look underneath, which sounds sensible.

Had car 4 days 150 miles discovered oil leek as its all over my drive I took it back to garage straight away this morning they thought it was coming from the diff but it’s not they have kept car investigating, anyone else had thisView attachment 11534
In my ZS EV I had a small amount come out the breather after a long motorway drive on a very hot Australian summer day (38 degrees) but not enough to spot the driveway.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 537 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back