MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Overall I'm pretty relaxed and still loving the car but i did email customer services on 12th and gary on 13th to inform them of my issues and haven't had even a generic reply. We know theres a maximum of 1000 cars on the road so in my mind thats poor form. Thankfully for MG this forum info gives me all the updates i require...for now anyway!
Agreed. Odd about your email, he replied to me today when I emailed about mine having visited dealer etc

Agreed. Odd about your email, he replied to me today when I emailed about mine having visited dealer etc
Not even in spam! Nevermind. At least i know similar issues identified by you and others so as long as i am also contacted when any fix is sorted that will do for now. It will have to!

Do the SR leaks resolve with a drain/refill but the LR models leak again, and it’s something else?

I'm not sure that sort of data has been collated. But it's a reasonable question, given the SR and LR have different motors. (Or at least different power rating motors).

This is looking like a heat challenge? - I'm very familiar with my 170,000 mile VW Tiguan, in that the front differential when I changed the oil was black (120k miles), where as the rear haldex was still clear. I've seen a youtube vlog from the EV guru bloke in shetlands with a kia EV, after 12 months, some of the oil was black (which wasn't part of the scheduled service schedule) - so am sort of expecting with the MG4 that we'll need to change some oils in the car as we go along.

I live in Australia and am very keen on the MG4's which should arrive here early in 2023. Just joined the forum as I am very keen about purchasing one but I am concerned about all the complaints about oil leaks so will be following with interest to see what the response is from MG which appears to be quite negative at the moment.

I'm not sure that sort of data has been collated. But it's a reasonable question, given the SR and LR have different motors. (Or at least different power rating motors).
Do the SR leaks resolve with a drain/refill but the LR models leak again, and it’s something else?
Strangely enough I asked this very question over a week ago on the other thread entitled MG4 Reduction Gearbox oil leaks see #54 in that thread .
Les

I live in Australia and am very keen on the MG4's which should arrive here early in 2023. Just joined the forum as I am very keen about purchasing one but I am concerned about all the complaints about oil leaks so will be following with interest to see what the response is from MG which appears to be quite negative at the moment.
Hi wiz043 welcome to the forum I promise you when we in the UK get to know what the problem is so will you it’s a very nice car which as had the shine taken off it with this issue but hasn’t stopped me buying one it will get sort I’m sure and at this time there is nothing as good in the UK or Europe at that price point that’s for sure keep you posted.
Les

So maybe there’s a good side to this situation it’s been 14 days now in the two threads running on this since the first posting about these leaks from under the rear of the MG4, and just looking at the poll figures I see only 38 votes have been cast on this forum so maybe not quite as widespread as it appears.

I know that doesn’t help you who have a leak and I hope someone comes up with an answer and fix for ASAP.

Collection day for us today can’t blood sleep tonight think I’ll get up and pour a glass of something just got to decide what Beer, Whiskey, G&T, wine, or a brew not sure what to have.
Les.

Last edited:
I'm slightly lucky todate (with no leaks), but I should point out - that you will not be disapointed with the MG4 (locally! - I have 200 miles each day - which covers 98% of my use - longer joureys - I've just kept my old car derv. todate - but I'm not sure that I will need it, but will give it 12 months transition, maybe?

I'm slightly lucky todate (with no leaks), but I should point out - that you will not be disapointed with the MG4 (locally! - I have 200 miles each day - which covers 98% of my use - longer joureys - I've just kept my old car derv. todate - but I'm not sure that I will need it, but will give it 12 months transition, maybe?
I’m sure I won’t be disappointed or should I say the wife won’t this cars for her I have the 5 SR had it 20 months 17000 miles never going back to derv that’s for sure.
Glad to hear your car has been fine I’m sure there lots out there that are but for them with the leak that’s not good news MG need to sort it out which I’m sure they will or replace them.
Les

Last edited:
Mine is at Leicester MG at the moment for the oil leaky problem, they have now kept it and ordered new parts!
New breather tube on order ( 3 weeks).
I’ll take that with a pinch of salt.
Why does a brand new car need new parts anyway?
It's possible the dealer is waiting for a re-designed breather pipe.

And that's all it took from MG to quieten this thread down somewhat
A little notice on what's happening etc
I've been reading multiple times daily checking up on what's going on.
It's quite relaxing now to see that were all waiting for news now they've acknowledged it
No we’re just going into hibernation for the winter because we have no transport

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 92 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back