MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Our dealer is going do checks on all cars before they are sold just to make sure there ok and our car is being replaced when the next lot arive as it doesn't seem to be a straight forward job which I was hoping it would be and just to say our dealer has been fantastic about all this

Are you keeping yours until the new one arrives, or have they given you a loaner ?

FYI I mentioned this to the sales rep when I had my test drive this morning. They've not noticed any leaks on their SE SR demo car. (They keep it on a bricked surface where the charge points are and would notice if there were any leaks). The sales guy said he'd mention it to their team to keep an eye out for it.

Just read on the MG4 owners page on Facebook two people had it confirmed from dealers it was overspill, so I’m hoping it’s just that! Meant to be picking my one up on Monday.
Overspill or Overfill?

There is some logic behind the overfill theory.
It probably escapes via the breather when the gearbox is hot so wouldn't be apparant until the car has been used in anger.

Owners and Fans ... is the other one better?

Edit: Owners and Fans seems to have more members (3.8k) than MG4 UK (550).
Yup the owners and fans is the original one, MG4 UK is a new one, no real difference between them and I’m guessing the vast majority of the smaller group are in the bigger one too! :) see you in the group! :) I’ll probably be posting an image of my pickup on Monday! :)

Well, after reading this thread I thought I had better stick my head under the back of our one week old MG4 SE LR and check. Sadly there is a definite leak, a few drops on the ground, evidence of seeping out of the undertray and being 'blown' rearward across the bottom of the car. My best guess 'finger test' is that it is thin oil rather than coolant.
Top marks to our dealer though. Following a phone call, car immediately booked in for inspection tomorrow am. Dropped it off tonight and home with a MG5 loan car.
Fingers crossed it is nothing too serious and an easy fix....
This is really concerning, I will be looking under the car with a degree of apprehension,

I picked up my car last Friday 7/10/22 and I have the oil leak. Taking it to dealer for appraisal this afternoon

What exactly is the nature of the oil leak? I presume it is a transmission oil leak but is it from one of the drive shafts, {boots or seals} or transmission/motor casing? Or at the other end of the car and is coming from the steering rack? Maybe from an owner's point of view, it is difficult to tell since the car has an aero-pannel/guard plate the length of the underside?

Has anyone a photo of the oil patch on the car or of dripping oil that others can look for if it is so widespread an issue?

What exactly is the nature of the oil leak? I presume it is a transmission oil leak but is it from one of the drive shafts, {boots or seals} or transmission/motor casing? Or at the other end of the car and is coming from the steering rack? Maybe from an owner's point of view, it is difficult to tell since the car has an aero-pannel/guard plate the length of the underside?

Has anyone a photo of the oil patch on the car or of dripping oil that others can look for if it is so widespread an issue?
We don’t know for sure yet what the cause is. It has been suggested that it is the gearbox reduction unit. Look on your drive for oil, or if you have a gravel drive like mine then put some boards down, that’s how I saw I had the leak.

Picked my car up on Friday 7/10 and I have the oil leak. 😫
Taking it into dealer at 4pm today

When the ZS EV first launched there were a number of little things which affected lots of vehicles and there were several visits to the dealer to resolve these things. I had an early ZS and suffered from issues with the Head-unit Infotainment system issues and had the head unit replaced twice. There were many software updates and tweaks to the operation of the charging system and BMS plus a recall to replace the driver's door wiring loom and the infamous BMS debacle but everything was sorted out by MG reasonably quickly.

Then there were the issues which affected quite a few cars but by no means all such as the clicking steering rack and the heater fan controller board failure which once identified as common faults was sorted out by dealers as and when they happened.

Stories on the forums tend to suggest in the early days that there were definitely two types of MG dealers though. Those who would go out of their way to be helpful and those who would go out of their way to shirk their responsibility once you drove off the forecourt because there was a low margin in the sale. Hopefully, this is changing as I seem to see few horror stories on the forum these days.

Stories on the forums tend to suggest in the early days that there were definitely two types of MG dealers though. Those who would go out of their way to be helpful and those who would go out of their way to shirk their responsibility once you drove off the forecourt because there was a low margin in the sale. Hopefully, this is changing as I seem to see few horror stories on the forum these days.
I'm getting mine from Arnold Shark in East Kilbride ... hopefully they'll be one of the better outlets.

(There are no - or little - discounts on the MG4 so margin should be OK just now).

Excellent question
Took my car to dealer this afternoon. I have a loan car as they will need mine for ”1 or 2 days”. I am dealing with the service manager who seems decent so far. He tells me that they are being advised it may be overfilling of oil and escape from the breather as has been stated previously here. They have been told to drain the oil and then refill with measured amount then road test. He is going to update me tomorrow as and when he has news. I’ll keep all informed here.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back