MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I will be taking a torch and looking under my car when I pick it up, any oil leak and I will refuse to accept it until it is rectified.
I doubt you will see any oil when you collect, it seems to be after that car has been driven 100 to 200 miles from my reading. I checked under my car when I collected it and couldnā€™t see any oil at all.

OK, I went and had a look and yes same story here. Also the rear tray does not seem to be attached correctly. Some bolts are not fully tightened unless this is by design to allow air flow to the motor.

IMG_7286.jpeg

IMG_7287.jpeg

Last edited:
I doubt you will see any oil when you collect, it seems to be after that car has been driven 100 to 200 miles from my reading. I checked under my car when I collected it and couldnā€™t see any oil at all.
Great, Thanks, we're learning a lot here, from what I know the delivery mileage on the odometer is around 40 miles, my drive home is only fifteen miles so I won't know for a while.

I will be taking a torch and looking under my car when I pick it up, any oil leak and I will refuse to accept it until it is rectified.
Surely MG have contacted the dealer network and told them that there is a known problem with oil leaking from the car and they should drain the transfer box and refill it to the correct level.

Took my car to dealer this afternoon. I have a loan car as they will need mine for ā€1 or 2 daysā€. I am dealing with the service manager who seems decent so far. He tells me that they are being advised it may be overfilling of oil and escape from the breather as has been stated previously here. They have been told to drain the oil and then refill with measured amount then road test. He is going to update me tomorrow as and when he has news. Iā€™ll keep all informed here.
Thanks very much for the update.

Surely MG have contacted the dealer network and told them that there is a known problem with oil leaking from the car and they should drain the transfer box and refill it to the correct level.
I admire your optimism šŸ˜¬

I agree!
Oh no! please keep us updated.
I admire your optimism šŸ˜¬
if its overfill then won't it just stop itself once the overfill has all leaked out? too simplistic?
On another forum cars have been returned and been advised not to drive,
Yesterday I felt a very slight vibration from the rear, dismisses and didnā€™t think anymore about it, until now!
if it is found to be a fault I will consider rejecting under the consumer rights act as itā€™s within 30 days of purchase .

if its overfill then won't it just stop itself once the overfill has all leaked out? too simplistic?
Logic dictates that, but I think an EV mechanic might be able to enlighten us more, any EV mechanics reading this ?

OK, I went and had a look and yes same story here. Also the rear tray does not seem to be attached correctly. Some bolts are not fully tightened unless this is by design to allow air flow to the motor.

View attachment 11717

View attachment 11718
My motor undertray looks exactly like this too, I was wondering if itā€™s just a poorly made plastic tray or if this is a deliberate ā€œscoopā€ to aid cooling etc.

I'm too scared to look. Has anybody checked and not had the issue?
Had mine since 7th. The morning after it's first decent run there was a spot of something on the drive. It was wet so rainbow looking and when it dried looks like a clear gel. Spot the size of a Ā£2 coin. However it's done longer trips since and nothing else found. Also no run marks on the underside panels.

Just spoke to Frasers of Falkirk re MG4 leak. They have reiterated that they have been informed that the factory overfilled the gearbox. Not going to comment on 100% true until the forum members update their own cars solutionsšŸš—šŸ”§ Perhaps we have few more serious issues in the mix as well.

Told that my expected delivery is next year...not bothered if that means a few more teething problems are ironed out.

Alan

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel