MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I did mention it on the phone a couple of weeks ago, he was aware of it then but played it down massively, I've just sent him a friendly email with the customer checklist & what's their latest stance on re-filing at PDI etc is so will see what they say, I'm not expecting them to do this but at least I've asked the Q.

I mentioned the "new breather kit" coming shortly for dealers to order if "re-filled" cars are still leaking as I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't know this, hopefully that with the checklist might have picked up any issues at otherwise missed at PDI on my car.

TBF so far everything has gone really well but I did have an awful warranty experience at this dealer with my MG5 that I really had to push to get sorted however I really liked the MG4 when "passing by" & the sales bloke I'm dealing with was spot on when I was looking so ended up buying from there.

Chances are my car will be ok fingers crossed!

To a point I agree, but I still think people have the right to be annoyed if the £30k car they have invested in is leaking oil, small problem or not the oil isn't meant to be coming out and the million dollar question is, at what point does it get where a car loses enough oil to cause damage to the gears
We may never get to that point, here's hoping, but as has been said there are probably more people blissfully unaware of the issue continuing to happily drive and enjoy their cars.
It is completely unknown at this point the long term implications.
I completely agree that the oil leak should get fixed - and that is what MG say is about to happen.

I am just pointing out:
a) Let's not condemn a fix before it has even happened.
b) Let's not assume the oil leak is more significant that it appears to, at least without some evidence.
c) There's an awful lot of speculating (which I have also been guilty of) which I think is confusing people as much as shedding light.

All brand new vehicles have teething problems. I have not seen anything yet with the MG4 outside of this category. It doesn't really matter how much you spend, £10k, £30k, £100k... you will get teething problems with a new vehicle.

Of course it is annoying, but when you order a just launched vehicle, you should expect some problems. The latest and greatest always have bugs.

There's an awful lot of speculating ....which I think is confusing people as much as shedding light.

The speculation is occurring in the absence of any direct communication from MG. Individual dealers are responding in a range from "nothing to see here" to taking back cars for weeks at a time promising a resolution and others allowing them to be driven but at a maximum speed of 50 mph.

The MG4 is a potentially excellent car let down by a lack of support.

So all users have to inspect their driveways on constant lookout for an oil leak that can occur at any time, by all accounts?
You are assuming it is an important problem. I've had cars in the past that leaked a bit of oil and it was nothing serious. If it is not an important problem, then it can be dealt with (and detected) at routine servicing.

There are many people who will never look, never check and not notice even if they did. So it is always for the manufacturer to decide if a recall is necessary.

Well, I'm hoping that the problem is self-limiting, and that oil will always be at a safe level after all the "excess" has disappeared through the breather. That would at least mean that the car could be driven - potentially a long way - to the dealer for rectification. I guess the strategy has bought MG some time, so they can fulfil delivery schedules without interruption...

Has anyone given any thought to my (tentative) hypothesis that overfill might be having an adverse effect on efficiency (owing to drag on the motor)?

Has anyone given any thought to my (tentative) hypothesis that overfill might be having an adverse effect on efficiency (owing to drag on the motor)?
It'll depend on a) viscosity and b) volume of oil vs volume of space in the housing. I don't think the gear train is fully immersed in oil; rather it picks up oil from the "sump" and self-lubricates through use.

If 200 ml is a significant amount vs the housing internal volume, and the oil is particularly viscous, then it might. But I suspect that any impact is minimal - I reckon the undertray bulge probably has more of an effect. :)

At pdi they will not find any oil because the car will have been hardly run and certainly not at speed. They could however run the motor with rear wheels clear at a reasonable speed for say 15 mins to see if there was anything weeping out of the breather and , if so not release that vehicle until modified part is fitted. That way a check is being made which could avoid a customer having the inconveniance of having to return the car. Seems they'd rather have annoyed customers than happy one's.

The speculation is occurring in the absence of any direct communication from MG. Individual dealers are responding in a range from "nothing to see here" to taking back cars for weeks at a time promising a resolution and others allowing them to be driven but at a maximum speed of 50 mph.

The MG4 is a potentially excellent car let down by a lack of support.
I think the 50 mph advice was purely an individual dealer making his own mind up about it to appease the owner. I understand the owner is unable to produce any documentation from MG about the 50 mph limit. So it really needs dropping as a winge.

I think the 50 mph advice was purely an individual dealer making his own mind up about it to appease the owner. I understand the owner is unable to produce any documentation from MG about the 50 mph limit. So it really needs dropping as a winge.
In the podcast on Monday , someone mentioned that they had comms from MG about the 50mph limit , and they were e mailing it to Miles then and there. I didn't see the rest , did this happen ?

Documentation from MG about the 50 mph limit:

It'll depend on a) viscosity and b) volume of oil vs volume of space in the housing. I don't think the gear train is fully immersed in oil; rather it picks up oil from the "sump" and self-lubricates through use.

If 200 ml is a significant amount vs the housing internal volume, and the oil is particularly viscous, then it might. But I suspect that any impact is minimal - I reckon the undertray bulge probably has more of an effect. :)
Actually, I was thinking more on the lines of oil getting into the small gap between the motor's rotor and stator, where there'd be a large surface area in contact with oil (assuming it's a "fairly wet" motor arrangement).

In the podcast on Monday , someone mentioned that they had comms from MG about the 50mph limit , and they were e mailing it to Miles then and there. I didn't see the rest , did this happen ?

Just Gary Smart not living up to his name

As I was saying it was Mr. Smart's (NOT) reccomendation, not MG or SIAC.
Nothing from MG UK service or China on any official bulletins.
I think Mr. smart has a lot of customer training coming up!!!

I emailed @Miles Roberts CG on Monday, (no comment from him as yet) with the information received from Gary Smart. I also shared Mr Smarts email in Post #740 in this thread where he gives the 50 mph advice. This advice was also given to my dealer from MG, in response to the technical case they raised. It advised no more than 50 mph, “light throttle use” and to avoid “long” journeys. My dealer showed me the communication printed out but would not give me a copy. Note, Mr Smart will no longer respond to my emails.

Last edited:
As I was saying it was Mr. Smart's (NOT) reccomendation, not MG or SIAC.
Nothing from MG UK service or China on any official bulletins.
I think Mr. smart has a lot of customer training coming up!!!
He is their representative so it is the word of MG motors UK!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 501 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back