MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

My dealer said they haven't had any reported issues to any of the cars they've sold. I find that hard to believe.
My dealer banged on about how good their checks were and how none of their cars had the bulge or the leak.
I then check under their showroom car and their demo and both had very pronounced bulges

My dealer banged on about how good their checks were and now of their cars had the bulge or the leak.
I then check under their showroom car and their demo and both had very pronounced bulges
What a missed opportunity. I should have done same

My dealer said they haven't had any reported issues to any of the cars they've sold. I find that hard to believe.
Before I went to test drive the MG4 in Alicante, he had to phone to put it off for a couple of days, as it was in the workshop being errmm! "tuned". So as before this i had asked him about the oil leak and undertray bulges, which he said they had never had on any car in the dealership. When I got to the test drive I asked was the car in the workshop for a discovered oil leak or tray bulge to which he replied no just for a software update.

When i asked him then why was there NO undertray at all on the demo car he without a missed beat replied that they do not have undertrays, even though we had discussed them on whatsapp when arranging the test drive. When I then pointed out and showed him and asked why does the one in his showroom have it then along with 2 very prominant foreward facing airscoops his face at last went a bright sort of crimson colour, at least he didnt have a smart answer for that.

Before I went to test drive the MG4 in Alicante, he had to phone to put it off for a couple of days, as it was in the workshop being errmm! "tuned". So as before this i had asked him about the oil leak and undertray bulges, which he said they had never had on any car in the dealership. When I got to the test drive I asked was the car in the workshop for a discovered oil leak or tray bulge to which he replied no just for a software update.

When i asked him then why was there NO undertray at all on the demo car he without a missed beat replied that they do not have undertrays, even though we had discussed them on whatsapp when arranging the test drive. When I then pointed out and showed him and asked why does the one in his showroom have it then along with 2 very prominant foreward facing airscoops his face at last went a bright sort crimson colour, at least he didnt have a smart answer for that.
Wow… I can’t say I’m surprised though.

Mate they aren't building to orders at the moment they are just distributing stock to dealers as it comes of the boat. If your dealer happens to be allocated a car that matches your order (colour/spec) you might get it.
They aren't talking about building to order till some time in January possibly.
That is why I used Carwow to find a dealership reasonably close to me with the colour I wanted so I could get it sooner, and then cancelled my local order which was going to take longer to arrive.

Mate they aren't building to orders at the moment they are just distributing stock to dealers as it comes of the boat. If your dealer happens to be allocated a car that matches your order (colour/spec) you might get it.
They aren't talking about building to order till some time in January possibly.
So what's the long delay caused by? Surely getting cars from China to UK doesn't take 16 weeks? Are all the cars in factories just being loaded onto ships and take that long to get here? Not doubting you, just trying to understand the process. Always thought long lead time was due to cars not being manufactured readily to satisfy new orders.

So what's the long delay caused by? Surely getting cars from China to UK doesn't take 16 weeks? Are all the cars in factories just being loaded onto ships and take that long to get here? Not doubting you, just trying to understand the process. Always thought long lead time was due to cars not being manufactured readily to satisfy new orders.
Miles from the Chorley group, confirmed the delivery issues on one of the podcasts. He stated Chorley group had 81 or so pre-orders and they thought that the pre-orders would be delivered first. Turned out, as has been said, MG are just allocating random stock (spec/colour) to dealerships. If it matches an order then great you get your car, if not then dealers are advertising them as available as stock (hence why people are driving around the country to pick up a stock car)

"Customer Service" anyone? 🙄
UPDATE:

So after discovering oil underneath was booked in back at my dealers - 'best' they could offer was 02/12/22. Left the car with them overnight and would you believe it they discovered I have a leak. They didn't have the parts required (breather) in stock which they have to obtain from MG 'special order'. When I queried do they not have a few of the kits in dealer stock was told 'we're not allowed by MG, can only order parts on a case specific basis"

So I have collected 03/12 and am back driving the car that presumably continues to spit out oil pending return again in a few days when parts received. Have been assured they'll expedite a service booking for me so I do not have to wait 10 days again.

Met my sales rep guy on Saturday when collecting; he was squirmed a little when I said "I told you so doesn't even come close"

Poor customer service and a disappointed / poorly treated customer. Let's see what the coming few days bring 🤷‍♂️

I was going to collect me MG 4 LR trophy tomorrow and I got a call today to say my car needs the breather pipe replaced on gearbox to stop the leaks. Apparently, they will have to part Monday and i should be able to collect next Tuesday. Pleased they are looking at issue and fixing, I just hope it is next Tuesday :D

Had my car in for software updates today (see other thread) and asked them to fit new breather. The car was in end of October when it first showed the leak and it was refilled. The dealer checked today and said there are no signs of further leaks so they did not fit breather.

Had my car in for software updates today (see other thread) and asked them to fit new breather. The car was in end of October when it first showed the leak and it was refilled. The dealer checked today and said there are no signs of further leaks so they did not fit breather.
If they had the breather I would have insisted they fit as it must have been ordered in specifically for your car!

If they had the breather I would have insisted they fit as it must have been ordered in specifically for your car!
Not ordered for my car. I only booked it in for service yesterday. They said they had one in but would need to get it authorised by MG if it needed it.

Not ordered for my car. I only booked it in for service yesterday. They said they had one in but would need to get it authorised by MG if it needed it.
That makes sense then. If your car never had the oil leak then wouldnt expect the breather mod.

That makes sense then. If your car never had the oil leak then wouldnt expect the breather mod.
It did. They refilled it last time it was in. On the check this time they say it's not showing any signs of leaking so haven't fitted breather.

It did. They refilled it last time it was in. On the check this time they say it's not showing any signs of leaking so haven't fitted breather.
Thats good news then. I wonder, if like another owner, they found the seal on the breather to casing loose and oil was coming from the joint not the breather cap.
After they refilled yours the mechanic sealed it correctly.

Thats good news then. I wonder, if like another owner, they found the seal on the breather to casing loose and oil was coming from the joint not the breather cap.
After they refilled yours the mechanic sealed it correctly.
I strong suspect this is a factor. Really common in the early days of a new factory to have simple steps missed out like fitting a seal.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back