MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Well great start to my day..... turned up at dealers to drop the car off, mainly for the leak, and a wee list of issues, to find out they don't have breathers in stock. As mentioned by LeeEV above, they can only order it in once they check the car. So they have taken it in straight away to get pictures etc to send to MG. If they told me this would only take half an hour I wouldn't have waited / wasted a week waiting on a courtesy car that I now don't need!

So sitting here waiting to get the car back to have to wait again for the bloody part!

Sorry, just had to rant a bit....

P¡ssed off doesn't cover it!

Dropped my car to dealer this morning for oil leaking and the deformed undertray, I have had word with the manager there.
He confirmed that they know both oil leaking and the undertray issues, and they are easy fix. He also said the recent cars are not showing the issue anymore.
Let's see what they say after their inspection, for sure I'll ask them to replace the breather.

Just called my dealer - the breather kit hasn't arrived yet but they've updated the "Snowcase" report to chase it. (Recent experience suggests it should arrive tomorrow or Monday, so I've tentatively booked mine in for next Friday). I've also asked them to check the headlight alignment (I think mine is OK, but no harm in checking) and check for any firmware updates whilst they have the car. :)

Hi all well I’m sorry to say this is a fortnight update as I’m away from home at the moment but I have been trying my best to keep up on my phone when I could get a decent signal up here in the lakes beautiful as it is.

Total votes now stand at 82
38 do not have or have not seen a leak up 2.

7 had a leak from being overfilled 0 change.

33 have a leak but don’t know where from 0 change.

4 say had a leak but it was fixed by a new breather up 4🤗

So some good news at last it seems from the last result
Les

does anyone have im image of the breather pipe, im just being nosy :) i might ask the dealer for a image else i'll have a nose when i get my car

i am sure this is it. Someone posted it on this forum a while back.

Attachments

• 703943F3-7AEF-4FA6-9047-B26760EBBE3F.png
    703943F3-7AEF-4FA6-9047-B26760EBBE3F.png
    3 MB · Views: 99
just had phone call with dealer for my car which dropped to them yesterday.
They are still waiting for the pipe from MG which I was expected.
Let's see how soon they can get one.

I seem to remember the description from the original post of the pre installation breather had a note to say the metal hat on the top of the breather, is the original breather from the car. So as siteguru says a small.stubby top hat

I have just this moment received a reply from [email address redacted], Customer "Service" Coordinator at MG Motors UK. His reply to my email was unhelpful, defensive, inaccurate. The thing that I was most surprised about was that he said I should have been told by my dealer that my car was safe to drive from the outset while waiting for a fix. When I pushed him on this saying I was concerned re damage, he said that all dealers had been told to advise owners to not drive over 50 mph until fix found. I suspect this is BS, anyone heard that before?
Mr. Smart has successfully illustrated what "unhelpful, defensive, inaccurate" are, better than my English teacher(s) and the Oxford dictionary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Smart has successfully illustrated what "unhelpful, defensive, inaccurate" are, better than my English teacher(s) and the Oxford dictionary.
The public face of MG Customer service,

just had phone call with dealer for my car which dropped to them yesterday.
They are still waiting for the pipe from MG which I was expected.
Let's see how soon they can get one.
Had a phone call with the dealer today, still waiting for the parts.
And dealer said they don't have the delivery date, they will let me know as soon as they received the parts.
The load car now has been extended to Friday this week.

So I was expecting the part to be fitted today in Beaconsfield, Ready for a collection tomorrow..... I had to contact the deal to ask how its going......

"We have not received the part yet but hopefully it should be with us by the end of the day today..."

Lets see if i get an update close of play today 🙏i should point out that ive not even had the car yet :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel