MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

A small update from me. You may have seen in post #228 that oil leak diagnosis has been delayed as the latest software update bricked the car and it can't be switched on. Advice from MG to techs is to disconnect the 12v battery, leave it over the weekend and they "hope" it will rise from the dead on Monday. Then, let oil leak UV diagnosis commence! I will keep you all informed of course.
Omg what next lol

Pictures of my white MG4 Trophy. Oil and the under tray being detached in two places. Seems to be a common issue these days....

Attachments

• 20221015_135614.jpg
    20221015_135614.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 350
  • 20221015_135825.jpg
    20221015_135825.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 362
Mine went into be checked today (this and undertray), had been leaking small amounts through breather but not all over the floor/underside. Drained to correct level as they have been advised by MG.

They also checked for blockages etc in the breather while they had it off to check it was working as designed, which it was.

Mine went into be checked today (this and undertray), had been leaking small amounts through breather but not all over the floor/underside. Drained to correct level as they have been advised by MG.

They also checked for blockages etc in the breather while they had it off to check it was working as designed, which it was.

Thanks for the update, mine is in tomorrow.

Just had an email back from Lincoln MG
Their demo car is leaking.
They've cleaned it all up and reduced the levels etc and ran it over the weekend for test drives etc but it's still leaking.
They've put in an urgent request to MG technical with photos etc.
So will see how quick they are to respond
At least Lincoln are doing the work on their own car rather than having customers to-ing and fro-ing.
Will let you know if I hear anything else.

Last edited:
Just had an email back from Lincoln MG
Their demo car is leaking.
They've cleaned it all up and reduced the levels etc and ran it over the weekend for rear drives etc but it's still leaking.
They've put in an urgent request to MG technical with photos etc.
So will see how quick they are to respond
At least Lincoln are doing the work on their own car rather than having customers to-ing and fro-ing.
Will let you know if I hear anything else.
Hi @Miles Roberts CG .
I guess you have been following this story pretty closely ?.
Can you offer any further info / opinions regarding this issue please Miles?.
I am fairly sure the Chorley Tech's have encountered this problem also ?.
I am not personally affected by this issue Miles, but I ask the question because you are usually one step ahead of the game on issue that surrounds MG EV's.
Your kind help & advice was warmly received both on the forum and on the Monday night pod cast's, when the ZS EV Gen1 had it's early teething problems.

Last edited:
Hi @Miles Roberts CG .
I guess you have been following story pretty closely ?.
Can you offer any further info / opinions regarding this issue please Miles?.
I am fairly sure the Chorley Tech's have encountered this problem also ?.
I am not personally affected by this issue Miles, but I ask the question because you are usually one step ahead of the game on issue that surrounds MG EV's.
Your kind help & advice was warmly received both on the forum and on the Monday night pod cast's, when the ZS EV Gen1 had it's early teething problems.
We're waiting to hear back from MG with any further advice.

Just handed in my white Trophy back to a dealer for an inspection. Due to a shortage of staff available, it can take a month+ before the inspection commences. Very disappointing and unfortunate.

Has anyone who has encountered the issue with the oil leak, especially where the under-tray is has had a solution in place? The dealer seems to be unaware of what might be the issue and is open to suggestions/recommendations.

Just handed in my white Trophy back to a dealer for an inspection. Due to a shortage of staff available, it can take a month+ before the inspection commences. Very disappointing and unfortunate.

Has anyone who has encountered the issue with the oil leak, especially where the under-tray is has had a solution in place? The dealer seems to be unaware of what might be the issue and is open to suggestions/recommendations.
The issue is if it’s 30 days to reject - if it takes a month to even inspect- I would be very concerned as at this point MG are definitely dragging heels on this.

Overfill as stated is not 100% the cause as many refilled ones are still leaking

Are we still thinking rejection is an overreaction?
Facts 2 weeks at least since 1st report of leak - MG still haven’t found what is causing it,

Even some dealers claiming mg not told them about this issue

If it is one month to inspect then I would be very concerned at this point with your rights. Putting written notice in not even sure where u stand legally with the reasonable period of time to make faults good line.

MG covering cleaning bills for your drive- good luck with that one as well.

I am just glad I cancelled my order as it stands

Facts 2 weeks at least since 1st report of leak - MG still haven’t found what is causing it,

Even some dealers claiming mg not told them about this issue

If it is one month to inspect then I would be very concerned at this point with your rights. Putting written notice in not even sure where u stand legally with the reasonable period of time to make faults good line.

MG covering cleaning bills for your drive- good luck with that one as well.

I am just glad I cancelled my order as it stands
Couldn't agree more, I cancelled my order also (see my post) We were just about to pay the full £31,495 in cash, now I like a bet, but that's a gamble I wasn't prepared to take given the two major problems reported by many buyers here and in the Facebook group.
I don't want to be continually going back to the dealer to have things repaired under warranty.
As I say, good luck to anyone who has more faith than I do.

They've cleaned it all up and reduced the levels etc and ran it over the weekend for rear drives etc but it's still leaking.
If it still comes out of the breather with the correct static level, I'm wondering whether it could have an incorrectly formulated fill of oil (from a bad batch maybe) which foams as it warms up with use?

Adjusting the oil level seems to work on some but not others

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel