MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Just to be clear, I very much do wish to own and drive an MG4, as I have said, I enjoyed the test drive and placed the deposit, no qualms in that regard, it made financial sense, I even have access to a salary sacrifice scheme, at work but the MG4, direct with my local MG dealer works out cheaper. This when combined with the feature packed Trophy model, a sporty drive and looks (especially in white - you don't mind me expressing that opinion do you Harry?) made that order placement easy.

Just wondering why you seem to think it odd that people post on a forum about a vehicle they are yet to take delivery of ? Well, I joined the forum to see what other people's experiences with the car are, so I could draw comparisons with perhaps what my own potential ownership experience, having to wait 16 weeks for my own to be built is a long time to be ignorant of other people's experiences.

I must admit, I find your post quite bewildering and passive aggressive (smiley face not withstanding) Whilst I am looking to be open to the experiences of others, I will, if possible, offer any input I have garnered from other sources, after all, that is the purpose of this forum, perhaps you are familiar with this concept?
Having said all that, I am not wanting to be part of a owner / driver experiment in snag listing, I think even for a "new platform" that is too much burden to expect a paying customer to own.

Oh and Harry, we already have an ID.3, the MG4 would be a replacement for our Petrol second car and the only issues we have had with the VW ID.3 has been the odd software brain fart, which will hopefully now be sorted with the replacement SOS module, the 12v battery replacement and the latest software patch, (done under a recall / warranty) so I am quite familiar with issues relating to new to market and "not quite ready" brand new platforms and EV's.

The difference I am evaluating here is more around mechanical robustness, with motor sealing / coolant leakage, which I am sure you can see; presents a more significant risk / issue /concern (choose which word your most comfortable with here Harry) when compared to a software issue.

As for your comment regarding "a small amount of issues", whilst being cognisant of the modern landscape of social media where people are maybe more inclined to report a negative than sing about a positive, we are all experiencing life under a magnifying lens, there does seems to be a growing list of teething Troubles / Bugs / Concerns (again, choose the word you are most comfortable with Harry) for MG to iron out here, I don't think there is an exhaustive list yet,(maybe the beginnings of one in the things to look for on car pick up day) but some of them are niggles, whilst some of them present clear and present danger to the end user, the most worrying which falls into this category being the sudden loss of power - limp mode error?.

So Harry, there you have it, my thoughts for the whole forum to read. I do hope you approve of my choice of words, perhaps you can review whilst reminiscing of the glory days of the British car industry, perhaps one day, you will once again bask in the immense feeling of pride in the MG badge, or hark back to that pale yellow "All-Aggro" (Austin Allegro) which dissolved before your very eyes, who knows (smiley face)

Oh look, not a single swear,....how excellent :)
Brilliantly written response to that silly comment. Was thinking just the same thing. I think anyone is going to be a little concerned when Facebook groups and forums are littered of oil leaks on there new (ironically electric) car. Even more so when you combine that with the Vehicle system control faults magically appearing taking away your power then going to the dealer with no explanation. Even more so when MG haven't even put out a Public statement about any of these issues and then compile that with lack of info to dealers. Hope it all gets cleared up soon.

The battery is separated by a significant distance from the motor/transmission. Unlike an ICE there's no "contaminated" oil in one place that can migrate to another place. Any contaminated oil can only be as a result of the failure of a component such as a bearing or brush, or by the leak of another fuid into it.

SAIC have a major issue that they need to resolve quickly and thoroughly. Any delay or backsliding will permanently damage the reputation of the vehicle and the brand - a major pity given the successes of recent years and the sound basis that the MG4 promises. The lack of strength in depth of the dealer network will be a significant impediment in resolving the issues.
Hold on, let's not forget about something here - Cooling, I'd imagine the motor is connected to the cooling system of the vehicle. It's possible that there's some sort of gasket leak, which leads to coolent getting into the drive transmission oil?

Just to be clear, I very much do wish to own and drive an MG4, as I have said, I enjoyed the test drive and placed the deposit, no qualms in that regard, it made financial sense, I even have access to a salary sacrifice scheme, at work but the MG4, direct with my local MG dealer works out cheaper. This when combined with the feature packed Trophy model, a sporty drive and looks (especially in white - you don't mind me expressing that opinion do you Harry?) made that order placement easy.

Just wondering why you seem to think it odd that people post on a forum about a vehicle they are yet to take delivery of ? Well, I joined the forum to see what other people's experiences with the car are, so I could draw comparisons with perhaps what my own potential ownership experience, having to wait 16 weeks for my own to be built is a long time to be ignorant of other people's experiences.

I must admit, I find your post quite bewildering and passive aggressive (smiley face not withstanding) Whilst I am looking to be open to the experiences of others, I will, if possible, offer any input I have garnered from other sources, after all, that is the purpose of this forum, perhaps you are familiar with this concept?
Having said all that, I am not wanting to be part of a owner / driver experiment in snag listing, I think even for a "new platform" that is too much burden to expect a paying customer to own.

Oh and Harry, we already have an ID.3, the MG4 would be a replacement for our Petrol second car and the only issues we have had with the VW ID.3 has been the odd software brain fart, which will hopefully now be sorted with the replacement SOS module, the 12v battery replacement and the latest software patch, (done under a recall / warranty) so I am quite familiar with issues relating to new to market and "not quite ready" brand new platforms and EV's.

The difference I am evaluating here is more around mechanical robustness, with motor sealing / coolant leakage, which I am sure you can see; presents a more significant risk / issue /concern (choose which word your most comfortable with here Harry) when compared to a software issue.

As for your comment regarding "a small amount of issues", whilst being cognisant of the modern landscape of social media where people are maybe more inclined to report a negative than sing about a positive, we are all experiencing life under a magnifying lens, there does seems to be a growing list of teething Troubles / Bugs / Concerns (again, choose the word you are most comfortable with Harry) for MG to iron out here, I don't think there is an exhaustive list yet,(maybe the beginnings of one in the things to look for on car pick up day) but some of them are niggles, whilst some of them present clear and present danger to the end user, the most worrying which falls into this category being the sudden loss of power - limp mode error?.

So Harry, there you have it, my thoughts for the whole forum to read. I do hope you approve of my choice of words, perhaps you can review whilst reminiscing of the glory days of the British car industry, perhaps one day, you will once again bask in the immense feeling of pride in the MG badge, or hark back to that pale yellow "All-Aggro" (Austin Allegro) which dissolved before your very eyes, who knows (smiley face)

Awesome reply, Well done Sir 👏👏👏

AdeMcG - Absolutely spot on!

I've also spent a lot of time here soaking up information and hoping that an MG4 would fit our needs to replace a 7 year old Outlander phev and /or our Skoda Citigo, preferably both.

However I finally came to the conclusion that the 4 fell between the two stools and as a single replacement didn't fit the bill but as a second car was too expensive (the 9 year old Citigo cost £10,000 new and has done 12,000 miles, and no I don't want a discussion about whether we need a second car as the Outlander has only done 23,000).

So, coincidentally, just before all of the issues began to reveal themselves I cancelled my order for a grey Trophy and two weeks ago ordered a Nissan Ariya to replace the Outlander.

I don't need anyone (first choice of word deleted) telling me about the issues with that new model as some sort of juvenile retribution. I read about those too.

I still read posts here because I still have a soft spot (perhaps hardening a bit now) for the car and the brand - so what?

Different people have different levels of tolerance for issues with a new car.

For some, it is one of the biggest purchases they ever make and any problems or issues trigger worries about their whole investment and perhaps raise fears about past bad experiences with dealers or garages trying to get issues resolved, especially if the car is essential to their daily work/life. Problems like these can be a deal breaker.

For others, it is an exciting chance to be part of the new electric car revolution, sample the latest and greatest and the issues are challenges to be overcome, leading to war stories and pride in having stuck with it and seen it through to the other side. Problems like these are expected.

Everyone is different.

Getting back to the oil leak... I think we should remember that reduction gearboxes are not new technology nor particularly complex. MG has made EVs without these problems. That tells me that we have an entirely fixable manufacturing problem. This needs to be kept in perspective.

We don't know how fast MG will fix it and we do know their communication is very poor. It is entirely understandable if some people cancel their orders and reject their cars over this.

I do think we will know a lot more very soon, so I would recommend waiting a little longer if people are undecided and if their situation allows.

Update - my car has been sitting with dealer since 10/10, taken in for oil leak. The oil they needed did not arrive until 13/10 but this was superseded with another issue. They had updated software and car is currently bricked, will not start up. They were told to disconnect the HV system and this has not fixed it and as of yesterday they are waiting for guidance from MG. No idea of when it will be resolved.

On the oil leak, the master tech tells me that they have now been told (if/when the car ever moves again) to fill with 0.7l oil in the reduction gearbox and check for leaks. This seems a big reduction from the original 0.9l spec for the car…….

.On the oil leak, the master tech tells me that they have now been told (if/when the car ever moves again) to fill with 0.7l oil in the reduction gearbox and check for leaks. This seems a big reduction from the original 0.9l spec for the car…….
Almost sounds like they’re guessing.

Mine is in getting refilled as we speak and the system fault error investigated. Was promised a courtesy car which is now not available (not returned)

Mine is in getting refilled as we speak and the system fault error investigated. Was promised a courtesy car which is now not available (not returned)
I phoned MG “customer care” yesterday to complain. I spoke to a lady called Deb. She told me that MG are “not aware of any issues with an oil leak on the MG4” and said that in any event there is nothing they could or would do for me other than that I should “wait for news from dealer”. I am seriously considering contacting various motoring publications at this point to see if they are interested in the situation. Feeling very angry and frustrated.

👏👏👏

It‘s an individual choice to be offended, just jog on past the messages you don’t like 🤔🤷‍♂️
Great reply.

My posts will seem negative to some as my car is in the garage with leak and horrendous under tray. I also posted huge positives in how the car drove and rapid charged during my first week and 1000 miles, along with criticism of the over sensitive ‘safety’ systems. Some people found it useful I’m sure, and for others they were reassured that they weren’t alone in finding various quirks. Forums allow owners to find out how other owners and their dealers are resolving issues, if we don’t talk about them we suffer in silence in some cases. How these issues are sorted, or not, are key determinants for prospective owners. I’d say definitely worth considering delaying early purchase if they’re able and wait for the early problems to get rectified.

I phoned MG “customer care” yesterday to complain. I spoke to a lady called Deb. She told me that MG are “not aware of any issues with an oil leak on the MG4” and said that in any event there is nothing they could or would do for me other than that I should “wait for news from dealer”. I am seriously considering contacting various motoring publications at this point to see if they are interested in the situation. Feeling very angry and frustrated.
What do you want from them? Your contract is with the dealer?

Oh dear maybe MG is now trying to deny an issue. Watchdog /Martin Lewis / Which I think someone needs to push this in the right direction to force MG to take action. I would if I've taken ownership of a leaky unknown where or why MG4.

FA4085DB-E271-4446-BC19-C8E98864EC96.jpeg

Deb needs to talk to Gary

Just to put it out there, I found a video of the car which showed an exploded diagram of the motor. The Gear Set must be oil tight between the Electric Motor and Housings probably with a lip seal or mechanical rotary seal. When Motor running then they must be some windage from this in the motor housing which if the seal is not fitted or seated correctly would cause this windage air pressure to escape into the gear train housing and causing an overpressure. Hence oil spilling out of Breather. A good test would be to fit a remote pressure sensor in the breather plug and take some pressure readings when motor running and compare to cars with no leaks. This could be done on a rolling road in the garage. The bad side is if it was a seal problem then oil may be escaping into the motor end which would be dangerous. Really hope MG are aware of the implications of this fault.
9F513A1D-9B3D-4CC1-B801-32E55B475786_1_105_c.jpeg
53020DF7-AB66-4C03-A345-CCA71169F32F_1_105_c.jpeg
68581AEA-61A8-4554-8625-FDF0F705F4FD_1_105_c.jpeg

What do you want from them? Your contract is with the dealer?
Yes it is but MG have supplied faulty goods to said dealer and they surely have a “customer care“ team for a reason, or maybe not in my experience. When the time comes, I will take the appropriate action with dealer. I naively thought MG corporate may have a view and be of some help. I was wrong, that’s the point of my post.

Yes it is but MG have supplied faulty goods to said dealer and they surely have a “customer care“ team for a reason, or maybe not in my experience. When the time comes, I will take the appropriate action with dealer. I naively thought MG corporate may have a view and be of some help. I was wrong, that’s the point of my post.
I think you've done the right thing. MG itself, not the dealers, have the most to lose potentially from these issues, and surely they are in the best position to collate and investigate all the dealers' experiences in order to resolve the problem, before many more ships full of MG4s arrive.

Some worrying comments above regarding MG apparently not knowing about the oil issue.
Which if that IS the case the next batch of cars will also be the same.
On The flip side of that if none of the new batch are leaking that would insinuate that MG do know about the issue and have made changes and fixed it, but aren't acknowledging our issues.
The next batch will be a little confirmation for me whether they know or not.
Though saying that it could be a bad batch of parts on their part
I guess which may have been fixed by their supplier and they've not told MG.
Either way I do think I'll be using my 30 day as a guide for whether I take further action or not.
I do genuinely like the car and hope it doesn't come to that but needs must as I'm a night shift worker and need a reliable car for work as there is no bus or train service for me.
The next week or two should give us something, but facing facts it's been nearly 2 weeks already and we have nothing of any value from MG.
Even my supplying dealer is frustrated with the lack of support as their demo car is also leaking oil.
I think I may end up rejecting for now and then maybe looking again once the issues have been resolved, which they will be.
MG will destroy the brand if they don't.

What is needed with any issue with any vehicle is:
  1. Vehicles with potential faults to be taken to dealerships
  2. Dealer technicians investigate and send a report to MG
  3. MG suggest a fix
  4. Tech completes repair as advised
  5. Then the tech confirms back to MG whether the suggested fix has worked.
Otherwise, MG can't collate information, spot trends, confirm whether issues are ongoing or linked to just a certain VIN range.

Likewise, it's not helpful to suggest that every vehicle has the same issue (until such information suggests that is the case).

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back