MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

My car has been returned after refill. I was assured that is the only advice they have had from MG so far. They apparently managed to drain 0.8l so looks like I caught it early at approx 300 miles.

You don't say!
we know there is a problem but there have been examples of dealerships and staff at MG saying they aren't aware.
The point I was making is if MG issued a public statement the motor press would pick up on it and it would be properly put out in the public domain, potentially having a major impact on any positive pr they have gained
I have asked for exactly that, above. Speculating on motives won’t help.

mg.gif

The thing I don't understand in all of this is that this is a highly anticipated launch of a brand new platform and model, it has the potential to be a game changer in the EV world and has so far gained nothing but positive reviews from the motoring press.
Teething problems happen, I think none of us are naive enough to think they don't!
The problem for me is the communication/lack of it. I do believe a lot is going on the background (it would be model suicide if it wasn't) but in some cases, not all, I think the communication has been extremely poor

Speaking of spamming, my iSmart app has been going nuts last 10 minutes telling me I have power steering fault, brake failure, security alarm. Suspect my motah’ may have just been resurrected from the dead.

I have had a couple of replies with, this is the first reply from MG….

Thank you for your email and I am sorry to learn of your disappointment regarding these matters.

MG Motor UK Ltd. are aware of the concerns reported by MG owners and potential owners and I can confirm that a small number of customers have reported this to their MG Dealerships, which is the correct course of action.

Due to the cases that have been reported, we are working with the factory in China to provide a resolution and indeed we are sending out internal communications to the dealer network regarding this.

The issue with gearbox oil, is the result of required fluid levels differing from Asian to European models of the car, and it is clear that some of our vehicles have received too much fluid as a result of this. Receiving the correct information regarding this should be a quick procedure.

With regards to the tray, we have made the factory aware of this and their recommendation is to replace the tray, however with this being a new model, the supply of the required parts to replace this would not have been anticipated. As a result, there may be a delay in their replacement, however we are working to provide a solution as soon as possible.

There is no affect on driving performance due to either issue, although there may be wind noise from beneath the car due to the fitment of the undertray.

I am sure you can appreciate that my answer is as open and honest as possible, and I can also confirm that any customer contacting customer service has received a similar reply.

I am also sure that you can appreciate that there are a large number of independent social media sites and forums. MG Motor UK Ltd. do not reply directly on forums to GDPR and compliance purposes. There has been no attempt to cover up or deny any customer complaints from any source.

I trust that the above will answer your questions and confirm our position regarding this matter.

The thing I don't understand in all of this is that this is a highly anticipated launch of a brand new platform and model, it has the potential to be a game changer in the EV world and has so far gained nothing but positive reviews from the motoring press.
Teething problems happen, I think none of us are naive enough to think they don't!
The problem for me is the communication/lack of it. I do believe a lot is going on the background (it would be model suicide if it wasn't) but in some cases, not all, I think the communication has been extremely poor
nothing but positive reviews from the motoring press.

Would you believe all those glowing press reviews and YouTube reviews are not 100% genuine ?
Common belief is that the press say good things about the car to keep the money rolling in for everyone involved, plus if they say bad things then the major car manufacturers will refuse to send them review cars again, Scotty Kilmer testified that when he gave an honest review about a Ford.
Also remember, the press usually only have a car for around an hour or so. Most problems don't show on a one hour review drive.

“I am sure you can appreciate that my answer is as open and honest as possible, and I can also confirm that any customer contacting customer service has received a similar reply.”
I guess I must have been imagining that “Deb” in MG Motors UK customer care told me yesterday that MG was not aware of any problems with oil leak. Thanks for sharing this response.

Would you believe all those glowing press reviews and YouTube reviews are not 100% genuine ?
Common belief is that the press say good things about the car to keep the money rolling in for everyone involved, plus if they say bad things then the major car manufacturers will refuse to send them review cars again, Scotty Kilmer testified that when he gave an honest review about a Ford.
Also remember, the press usually only have a car for around an hour or so. Most problems don't show on a one hour review drive.
Mate I'm not into conspiracies, I believe that if reviewers had this car for an hour they would be positive about it, I had it for half an hour and really enjoyed driving it. Granted that is not a lot of time to properly check stuff out, it was enough time for me to order one however

The issue with gearbox oil, is the result of required fluid levels differing from Asian to European models of the car, and it is clear that some of our vehicles have received too much fluid as a result of this. Receiving the correct information regarding this should be a quick procedure.

With regards to the tray, we have made the factory aware of this and their recommendation is to replace the tray, however with this being a new model, the supply of the required parts to replace this would not have been anticipated. As a result, there may be a delay in their replacement, however we are working to provide a solution as soon as possible.

There is no affect on driving performance due to either issue, although there may be wind noise from beneath the car due to the fitment of the undertray.
This means then that there's no reason not to keep driving the car if you see oil (great news) and the tray will get dealt with. Sounds like this is the main problem although one or two have reported it isn't just the oil level in their specific cases.

While any response from MG UK at this point is good, and the fact they have told us they're aware and prompting China for an official response is a step in the right direction... but, if some, most, all of the cars that are coming in to the UK have the same issues that have been found, at what point do MG stop the cars going to customers before they've been repaired/replaced?

I get the feeling it would cause the dealer network so much stress with how many 4's are being brought back in, should they continue to be handed out.

Believe it or not, I'm not sure. I've not had to deal with a new vehicle rejection in the 7.5 years I've been working for a franchised dealership.
Ok, thanks.
I think I’m jinxed after needing to reject my 3 day old Kona in January. That was a clear cut traction motor failure though.

On that note……hope no one needs to rely on the AA. Myself, wife and dog stuck on a busy road for over 4 hours at night in freezing conditions.

She lives, ALIVE I TELL YOU! 🥹

Just had call from dealer, apparently updating software with someone in the drivers seat = software crash and dead car.

Now on to the oil leak. I told him no rush, take the rest of the afternoon.
I suppose it's like updating any computer. It needs to have nothing running to load some new software and sitting in the drivers seat during the process starts things running that need to be idle to update...if that makes sense.

Not to self...Attach large note to service book cover...Do not sit in driver's seat during software updates.

Common belief is that the press say good things about the car to keep the money rolling in for everyone involved, plus if they say bad things then the major car manufacturers will refuse to send them review cars again,
lol yes. And don't forget the obligatory beg to like and subscribe.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back