MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Well, mine has now been rejected. Really gutted it came to it, but we had lost faith in it. I hope that it is a simple and long-term fix that comes along soon.
Going into the garage tomorrow to empty out the car and factory reset the unit to remove my personal data then hand over the keys. It's such a shame as it really is a nice looking car. Perhaps in the future we might be back, who knows.

I agree, but wouldn't all dealers put the car up and look underneath as part of the PDI, in case something looks loose or hanging off!
To be fair @colsky , most of us (and dealers demos) have not had a leak until post 200 - 500 Miles, ergo a PDI would not show anything up.

It is becoming clearer and clearer that this issue is where it needs to be and Miles from Chorley Group has informed us that they have reported this confirmed issue to MG and are awaiting a reply `( my dealership has also done this and no doubt many others).

It is annoying, granted, and as I have said before, worrying for some.

I continue to drive mine, I have to admit here and now…. The liquid is no longer hay coloured, it is bordering on dark grey, so looks like I may have been informed incorrectly, but I continue to drive my car, as normal.

I am still very confident, that this issue will be both identified and rectified.

Here’s hoping sooner rather than later. 👍

Last edited:
Well, mine has now been rejected. Really gutted it came to it, but we had lost faith in it. I hope that it is a simple and long-term fix that comes along soon.
Going into the garage tomorrow to empty out the car and factory reset the unit to remove my personal data then hand over the keys. It's such a shame as it really is a nice looking car. Perhaps in the future we might be back, who knows.
What dealer and how were they about your rejection?

That’s a shame Craig. Can I ask what led to your decision to reject it?

A good decision.

That’s a shame Craig. Can I ask what led to your decision to reject it?
It was really the unknowns coming from MG Perth who have it just now. It's been in for two weeks and they said the parts that 'might fix it' would be at least two ~ four weeks away.
We just felt that we were left with little choice. Reject it, possibly wish we didn't if a fix come along or keep it and wish we had rejected it when we had the chance. The safe bet was to get rid of it when we could.
It should have been so much better, first new car in years too ;(

To be fair @colsky , most of us (and dealers demos) have not had a leak until post 200 - 500 Miles, ergo a PDI would not show anything up.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, but my comments about looking underneath the car during the PDI relate to the loose undertray rather than the oil leak.

True - but the details would be known so a better-informed decision could be made. Remember, the 30 day right to reject clock has stopped ticking while this is being investigated/resolved.

It was really the unknowns coming from MG Perth who have it just now. It's been in for two weeks and they said the parts that 'might fix it' would be at least two ~ four weeks away.
We just felt that we were left with little choice. Reject it, possibly wish we didn't if a fix come along or keep it and wish we had rejected it when we had the chance. The safe bet was to get rid of it when we could.
It should have been so much better, first new car in years too ;(
I think when you totally lose confidence / faith in a car, nothing is ever going to make it right to be honest !.
When you feel totally let down, by something you totally loved, you just have say :- “Let it go and move on”.
Life is WAY too short to be thinking about how it could / should have been.
It is a real shame for ALL concerned really.
MG never envisage / wanted this to happen and neither did the dealer network.
It’s a very frustrating time for all concerned.
As the number of rejected cars increases, it is likely to attract the wrong type of publicity.
I would where these rejected cars will in up ?.
They can’t be sold as new cars anymore ?.

MY theory only.
Petrol/diesel engine turns at 1000 rpm
Gearbox gears turn at 500rpm in first 15mph at wheel
Gearbox gears turn at 500rpm in 2nd 30mph at wheel
and so on.
So this shows that the oil is dispersed around the gearbox at the same rate regardless of speed.A normal gearbox is larger than a transfer box allowing the breather to be placed further away from the oil throw, also on some gearboxes there is a shield stopping the oil from going near the breather.so no chance of oil being blown out in a mist. .
Electric motor 1000 rpm
transfer box 1000 rpm 15mph at wheel
Electric motor 2000 rpm
transfer box 2000 rpm 30mph
and so on
not sure if this is correct but as there are no gearing to alter the speed it must be like that
So this possibly shows that the faster you go the faster the oil is thrown about .With the transfer box being smaller and the breather closer to the oil throw it is possible for the oil to go on the breather and mist out of the breather and then turn into droplets of oil .This could be why it is hard to find out where the oil is leaking from.As the oil looks to be a thin oil to start with this could be possible.
This may not be where the leak is as it could be a seal or faulty casing .This is my thoughts on the subject .PS yes my car has the oil leak and at the dealers at present awaiting MG china to come up with a fix.

If the clock has stopped it doesn't matter* if it takes 60 days to resolve - the 30 day clock still applies.

* Yes, I know - it does matter in terms of not having the car - but I mean in terms of the law.

update: The Trophy has been back into the dealer who removed the bottom tray to reinspect the motor and it seemed to be oil free, the theory is now that there may have been some oil residue that was missed on the initial clean up that was running out after the drive back. So the leak may have been fixed after all, it’s going to be reinspected after a few days use to be certain but looking promising.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back