MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

OUCH, hi again crawfyp now can please can you confirm you are the owner who said your dealer was going to add a dye to the gearbox oil and then the car got bricked having a shofware update I think that’s correct yes /no please.

So if yes that’s great, was it the dye that that showed up the problem with the breather pipe reason for asking is so others members with the same problem can then inform their dealer that’s the way they found it.
Thank you for you up date as well and I hope you get your car back with the fix done ASAP
Les
Hi @Les burrows , quick search for dye and found the confirmation that it was @Crawfyp that had the dye added in this post.

Someone on FaceAche has posted that their dealer has told them that MG have put an embargo on releasing the cars for a few days due to the oil leak issue.

My dealer has just called to say my car is ready to collect, they haven't heard of any embargo on releasing cars. Just waiting for statement from MG to decide if I proceed or cancel. Have also emailed some important MG people for some more info.

OUCH, hi again crawfyp now can please can you confirm you are the owner who said your dealer was going to add a dye to the gearbox oil and then the car got bricked having a shofware update I think that’s correct yes /no please.

So if yes that’s great, was it the dye that that showed up the problem with the breather pipe reason for asking is so others members with the same problem can then inform their dealer that’s the way they found it.
Thank you for you up date as well and I hope you get your car back with the fix done ASAP
Les
Yes, that is me. Car now “unbricked” so they could road test. They filled with the lower amount of oil advised by MG but still leaking from the breather, no doubt where it is coming from due to the UV dye.

Yes, that is me. Car now “unbricked” so they could road test. They filled with the lower amount of oil advised by MG but still leaking from the breather, no doubt where it is coming from due to the UV dye.
Presume the car isn't drive-able until fixed?

Presume the car isn't drive-able until fixed?
That’s what they are telling me. Did they say what the fix was for your car? It would be interesting to know volume of oil they filled it with.

If there is indeed a modified breather arrangement, I'm wondering whether it is effectively an extension to raise the height of the point where it actually vents to atmosphere?

If there is indeed a modified breather arrangement, I'm wondering whether it is effectively an extension to raise the height of the point where it actually vents to atmosphere?
In theory it should be quite simple shouldn’t it? That’s what is keeping me “on board “ with the car, I would have rejected it by now otherwise. I know I’m going to be really fed up if we have to wait for weeks for the part which seems highly likely.

Excuse the off topic post, but you might like how I talked up the MG4 earlier :sneaky:
I was out with the dog and argued (not like me, huh) about Evs with a KIA salesguy who I see now and then out with his dog.
Anyway I was countering his argument about 250 miles or so being generally enough for anyone, with the reply of 'but if you need that out and about in a petrol car it takes you 2 mins, not 5 hours'.
He said 'true, that'd be the game changer'. I replied 'no, the MG4 is known as the game changer' 😁

In theory it should be quite simple shouldn’t it? That’s what is keeping me “on board “ with the car, I would have rejected it by now otherwise. I know I’m going to be really fed up if we have to wait for weeks for the part which seems highly likely.

I’ve pressed send on that email today, we’ve lost confidence unfortunately. I’m gutted. Thinking is that we might revisit in 3-6 months and buy again if the issues are fully resolved. (And only if the price has risen by 15% along with finance interest rates of course! 🙄🙈😬)

I’ve pressed send on that email today, we’ve lost confidence unfortunately. I’m gutted. Thinking is that we might revisit in 3-6 months and buy again if the issues are fully resolved. (And only if the price has risen by 15% along with finance interest rates of course! 🙄🙈😬)
What, you hit the rejection button?

Really sorry to hear that. It’s on my mind too. I’m going to wait for the announcement of fix and then decide but fully understand your decision. Best of luck.

Thing is, these things often get resolved and i guess it depends on your tolerance level, and if you have another car to tide you over, or they give you a free loner. It does take the shine off, but in all likelihood, it will get resolved and in a few months and this board's comments will see that leak in the rear view mirror.
Fledgling cars can have issues. I'd guess buyers' next summer, say, will be blissfully unaware of this stuff.
If you want a laugh, google image 'MINI paint rubbing' and see images of the inner door shunts of 3 door MINIS of the latest incarnation (F56 model, 2014 onwards). Now, that STILL continues, 8 years on! I've even done 'experiments' asking what must be easily 25 people in supermarket carparks with 3 door F56 MINIs... and they've ALL had it! Even someone with a 6 month old EV version who I asked last week. Not rubbed through like in the google image photos of course, but the beginning signs were there.
(I knew about itmyself before I bought it and got these ppf strips early on which some guy sells which covers the area)

Agree. I’ll bet £1.50 that MG say breather pipe is faulty and replacement needed. I also have a feeling that we will be waiting weeks for replacement. If I’m wrong I’ll lick the oil off my own driveway.

😅 yup, mind you I also speculated 3 weeks plus for the fix (from MG announcement). TBH, if it’s quicker, I’ll be pleased to clean the drive with my tongue and it’s gravel….
Lol what you like 😅

I was wondering the very same thing myself @Alb .
It’s a simple breather tube, so unless they have simply increased the high or installed a non return valve / wire filter internally, I would be very interested to understand what the difference is between both types of filters.
I can’t help but feel that MG was already aware of a problem ?.
I say this simply because when you consider the relatively short time scale involved here.
First they had to identify the problem ( unless they already knew of course ) then design / produce / test and then ship new breathers to dealers, I think is a bit unlikely then given it takes about three weeks to receive most spares from China ?.
It may have been handed over to the U.K. to procure / produce the new breathers ?.
But that still feels like a very very short turn around to me.
I am more convinced they aright had the “heads up” on the problem myself.
If it fixes the problem, then we have some happy owners once again and that’s the most important thing here !.
Restoring confidence back into the car / brand and the owners has to be the major objective 👍.

Just got a reply from the customer experience manager at MG which includes this... 'The issue that you mention below does not leave the vehicle undriveable and does not impact the performance or functionality of the vehicle.'
Hmm - discoloured oil, possible transmission oil starvation whilst driving at 70mph?

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 507 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back