MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Oil leak fixes including new breather should be available about now assuming your dealership knows about your problem and has ordered the new part.

I am also concerned about vibration/rumbling and hope this forum will get to the bottom of it soon but......

Oil leak fixes including new breather should be available about now assuming your dealership knows about your problem and has ordered the new part.

I am also concerned about vibration/rumbling and hope this forum will get to the bottom of it soon but......
Sorry should have mentioned the dealer acknowledged the issue last week when I put it in for the vibration/rumble.
They said they’d order the breather kit, but no timeframe.
I can suffer the vibration issue as it’s mostly a town car and I can avoid the speeds that trigger it, but the oil leak is something I won’t put up with.
Apart from anything else, how much has to leak out before something breaks??

It's well catalogued. Drain and refill to lower level. Fit new breather. Ensure you wipe up all existing residue to ensure no more oil should be seen. It is safe to drive in the meantime...all this from this 64 page beast. Give your dealership a nudge...the old who shouts loudest deal....oh and its not a "leak" its the breather spitting out some spots of oil

Just curious how many reports of a rumble/vibration at higher speeds is that now?

oh and its not a "leak" its the breather spitting out some spots of oil

[Pedant mode on]

Definition: Leak - a hole in a container or covering through which contents may accidentally pass.

A breather should only allow air in and out to compensate for the changes in temperature. Any oil escaping is not just a defect but also a leak.

[Pedant mode off]

;)

Is this the level of detail we are going down to now? Be it leek, leak, blow or spit who cares we have oil coming out....
Use whatever words you like, the bottom line is oil is being ejected. The question is 'is that by design or not'. It seems pretty clear that loss of oil is bad because it results in a sub-optimal level remaining in the car, not to mention the damage caused to the surface on which it collects and the risk of accident if a person or vehicle slips or skids as a result.

Use whatever words you like, the bottom line is oil is being ejected. The question is 'is that by design or not'. It seems pretty clear that loss of oil is bad because it results in a sub-optimal level remaining in the car, not to mention the damage caused to the surface on which it collects and the risk of accident if a person or vehicle slips or skids as a result.
Oil leaving a car and ending up on the ground / road is never by design. It is by design fault. Simple as that. It's leaking oil from the gearbox to the ground. That is definately a leak. They need to accept the problem and fix it without tying to make it less important than it is.

Fingers crossed it's residual oil they haven't cleaned up otherwise this is looking like a far more problematic issue than a poorly designed breather.

Oil leaving a car and ending up on the ground / road is never by design

I’m sorry but this is simply not true

8312FB07-C13F-4655-9EE6-A331D2DF5585.jpeg

I’ve had the new breather fitted and I think my car is still leaking, back to dealer
Where are you seeing the oil? Is it possible they did a poor clean up job on the tray or are you seeing drips on the drive?

They have fixed it, haven't they, with the new breather and correct level?

Has anyone had the oil leak AFTER new breather fitted?

Without evidence, we cannot say they haven't fixed it.
See post 1281 that I quoted

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 543 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel