MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

I don't understand why the overlap isn't front panel over back, then any bulge won't be a muck catcher

I direct tweeted MG UK asking about the oil leak before I take delivery. They replied that this was a common issue in the first run of orders due to overfilling of certain components. They said as far as they are aware this has been resolved as they have been monitoring all social channels and haven't seen any reports for quite a while. Perhaps tweeting MG UK about the ongoing issue for those experiencing it is the way forward?

It's pushing things a bit to claim you monitor all social channels. Perhaps they claim due diligence by monitoring a "sample" online forum for reports of MG4 issues and found there weren't any. Of course the "sample" forum could have been a Tesla one so that wouldn't be a great surprise :LOL:
It would be encouraging if they claimed to watch this specific forum.

It's pushing things a bit to claim you monitor all social channels. Perhaps they claim due diligence by monitoring a "sample" online forum for reports of MG4 issues and found there weren't any. Of course the "sample" forum could have been a Tesla one so that wouldn't be a great surprise :LOL:
It would be encouraging if they claimed to watch this specific forum.
But these issues often don't even get mentioned on the MG Podcast. I don't want the brand or cars to be pilloried, but to pretend these are not real issues for some owners is at best disingenuous.

Just spoken to my dealer - car is in for bulge amongst other things (I’ve got no leak yet, but haven’t even done 100 miles yet!)

Apparently they’ve finally decided/been told to fit the new breather on every car. However, instead of being sent say 30x, they have to book each car in, and then raise a request with MG to send the part… seems just such a waste of time and just add more delays while the car is at the garage… oh well, at least they’re proactively replacing now.

That’s mine booked in next Thursday (8th) to get the leak “looked” at.

Bear in mind this is less than 48 hours after collection and 40 miles on the clock! (And 9 of those were on it when I collected it).

They said they know of the issue but haven’t had one back yet with a leak to look at! Don’t believe that for a minute, considering the size of the garage (Arnold Clark Linwood), and that I mentioned to one of the sales guys weeks ago that there demo car and another (possibly customers) car in the car park were both leaking!!

Was advised it’s fine to drive.

Also highlighted that I’ve had an “Auto Hold Malfunction” error pop up twice when staring the car, although it is working and the dreaded bulge.

I could have had it in earlier, but need the courtesy car due to shifts.

2 days 31 miles, how poor is that, hopefully they do more than look at it, and actually order the part in and fix it

That’s mine booked in next Thursday (8th) to get the leak “looked” at.

Bear in mind this is less than 48 hours after collection and 40 miles on the clock! (And 9 of those were on it when I collected it).

They said they know of the issue but haven’t had one back yet with a leak to look at! Don’t believe that for a minute, considering the size of the garage (Arnold Clark Linwood), and that I mentioned to one of the sales guys weeks ago that there demo car and another (possibly customers) car in the car park were both leaking!!

Was advised it’s fine to drive.

Also highlighted that I’ve had an “Auto Hold Malfunction” error pop up twice when staring the car, although it is working and the dreaded bulge.

I could have had it in earlier, but need the courtesy car due to shifts.
I keep getting auto hold Error also did they tell you why this was happening?. I also have the oil leak booked in for 6th December also to look at auto hold issue

Just spoken to my dealer - car is in for bulge amongst other things (I’ve got no leak yet, but haven’t even done 100 miles yet!)

Apparently they’ve finally decided/been told to fit the new breather on every car. However, instead of being sent say 30x, they have to book each car in, and then raise a request with MG to send the part… seems just such a waste of time and just add more delays while the car is at the garage… oh well, at least they’re proactively replacing now.
Update: Probably not going to have the part until next week!! The delays on getting this are insane.. In the meantime I'm driving a huge courtesy car instead of enjoying my new one!

My 4 se was supposed to be having the breather done this week but it seems like it's taking longer to get hold of for some reason getting a bit fed up of all the oil on my drive hope they get it soon 🙏

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back