MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Quick update - taking my car to the dealer tomorrow as this was the earliest opening they had.

Very quick response from the dealer to be fair, so they’re to be commended and was offered a courtesy car to minimise my inconvenience.

Have a list of minor issues for them to look at as well, the worst of which is the boot which has refused to open 4 times so far!
Given that some members have had to escape through the boot when the car locked them in, you may wish to prioritise the boot repair.

If they're that confident that that's all the issue is.
Tell them fine but if it leaks you'll be rejecting it.
Might kick their arses into gear.
Definitely not overfill.
Both my MG4's leaked before I rejected them and here I am nearly 3 months later and still have oil all over my block pave driveway.
You're handing over the best part of £30k
Least they can do is be honest with you.
There must be MG service bulletins on this issue by now. Some dealers seem to know and others don’t. Some sales departments don’t seem to want to get involved with what they see as service issues if they can help it and will say whatever it takes, to placate or temporarily satisfy the customer until it’s someone else’s problem.

I was wondering, with all the environmental protection we have nowadays, wouldn't be a criminal offense for MG to allow their cars dumping oil anywhere without any control?

Would it have any effect reporting this lack of dilligence from MG regarding random oil dumps to the Environment Agency?

I was wondering, with all the environmental protection we have nowadays, wouldn't be a criminal offense for MG to allow their cars dumping oil anywhere without any control?

Would it have any effect reporting this lack of dilligence from MG regarding random oil dumps to the Environment Agency?
Dumping of oil is the responsibility of the vehicle owner if it is leaking, as MG will only be asked to produce the design calcs that verify that the design does not release oil, and they'd be covered, except in cases where they have been notified of a leak and not rectified or atleast ordered parts.

But ultimately it's the owners issue and you'd be prosecuted for knowingly driving a leaking vehicle

Due to pick up my MG4 Trophy on Wednesday. Phoned dealer this morning to check that all updates are being done. Asked if they had fitted the new breather as I had requested. Sales Manager tells me that my car shouldn't be affected as it was a small batch of cars that had been overfilled with diff oil at Portbury docks.

Is that BS?
Definitely BS. There are some owners who had their oil drained and refilled to a lesser amount and still suffered oil leaks. And as others mentioned, MG wouldn't go to the lengths of sending out a modified design breather if it were merely an overfill problem

Hi I asked my dealers yesterday to fit the new pipe not sure if mine is leaking but wanted it done they told me that mg have said only the first 500 cars had been over filled and only those cars would have the new pipe fitted using the vin number say that only 50 remain to be done.also that any other car had to have photos sent to them showing a leak.this is a new one to me.told them if that was the case why are new cars getting one fitted.my car is not in that 500.going in start of January for software update and to adjust the headlight beam as I don’t see why I have to mess with it.they will check for oil leak then.have also asked for the undertray to be sorted.will see what happens..

Due to pick up my MG4 Trophy on Wednesday. Phoned dealer this morning to check that all updates are being done. Asked if they had fitted the new breather as I had requested. Sales Manager tells me that my car shouldn't be affected as it was a small batch of cars that had been overfilled with diff oil at Portbury docks.

Is that BS?
First class BS

My dealer is fitting the modified breather to all the cars as part of the PDI. They've already had to sort out the cleaning of a customers driveway due to the oil leak.

Definitely BS. There are some owners who had their oil drained and refilled to a lesser amount and still suffered oil leaks. And as others mentioned, MG wouldn't go to the lengths of sending out a modified design breather if it were merely an overfill problem
Total BS. I was told by MG UK that all newly manufactured cars coming out from China will have the oil leak problem addressed.
Quote:
”MG's that are yet to be built at the factory in China will have the issue with the breather pipe rectified before they are placed on a ship.
Any vehicles that have already left the factory that present this concern will need rectification at an MG dealership once the vehicle arrives and the part is available.”

That being the case I believe you should be entitled to have your car fitted as per new spec from the factory!

Our MG4 has been left with dealer for 2 weeks, and still not been fixed.
I'm thinking to reject the car now.
Is it with the dealer for the oil leak? If so, according to MG, the car is safe to drive while you wait for the new breather.

Is it with the dealer for the oil leak? If so, according to MG, the car is safe to drive while you wait for the new breather.
dropped to dealer due to oil leaking and undertray issue on 8th Dec (we picked up the car on 29th Nov).
currently they just say they can't fix it as they don't have the part, the part is on back order with MG.
They can't confirm the part delivery date.
I have requested them to put this in words and sent to me via email.

after 4 phone calls today, finally my dealer said they have manage to get the part from other batch and may able to get my car ready tomorrow afternoon.

I am due to pick up an unallocated trophy today that arrived at the docks on 17th November.

I asked about oil leak fix but was told I won't have a problem as after PDI they tell me that my car has already got the new breather fitted at factory.

I didn't think the factory had started fitting them for that batch of cars.

I am due to pick up an unallocated trophy today that arrived at the docks on 17th November.

I asked about oil leak fix but was told I won't have a problem as after PDI they tell me that my car has already got the new breather fitted at factory.

I didn't think the factory had started fitting them for that batch of cars.
Ask them for a photo easy to see on a ramp, I took a pic of mine after they fitted it just to keep a record of repairs.

Chased dealer, part didn't arrive which I'm not surprise.
But finally, I have had phone call with the service manager who said he will call me to provide update tomorrow.
Let's see.

I noticed yesterday that mine has started to leak at the rear, spoke with dealer who booked it in first thing this morning and have done a temporary fix whilst they wait for the replacement part, apparently service departments have all been made aware of this issue from MG

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 535 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back