• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Well that's what you think triggered it but you don't really know that was why, unless you have inside knowledge. It could just as much be because they wanted to do the right thing.

What a shame there aren't more major issues to prove who is right. Maybe that's because it is actually a pretty good car.
I have no inside knowledge and agree it is actually a pretty good car. The frustration is it could easily be a bloody good one if MG would resolve a couple of silly little things.

Whether MG were acting purely out of the goodness of their hearts, because they had a gun to their head or in response to a voluntary recall is moot.

The publicity from leaking a bit of oil, or a seized transmission, or a broken under-tray is nothing compared to someone getting locked inside a car, unable to exit and getting hit by a truck. Imagine how that might play out at the inquest. Bad enough that MG knew of the problem and didn't act, but worse that DVSA were also aware and didn't ensure there was a recall. If not voluntary then DVSA would be liable if they had failed to make one mandatory.

Cannot understand why some cars of exactly the same MG4 model have undertray bulges and some do not in the same way that some have oil leaks and some don't.
The apparent variation in oil leaks I can explain.

In order to leak the transmission first needs sufficient oil, secondly the pressure has to be raised which causes the air (and suspended oil) to be expelled.

Filled to specification, and taken on a long fast road trip I believe all cars would leak. It may be that some cars have insufficient oil (in which case what is the long term impact on transmission), have not yet been taken on drives that have sufficiently raised the temperature, and therefore pressure; or that owners have simply not checked or noticed the problem yet (why would if just bought a new car and are not forum members?)

Cannot understand why some cars of exactly the same MG4 model have undertray bulges and some do not in the same way that some have oil leaks and some don't.
I understand most cars are mass produced these days and/or assembled by robots but quality control checking must be a factor in the case of MG4's as you do not seem to hear of haphazard faults like this with other makes...they either all have the fault or none have it.
There may be exceptions but not to the degree of MG4's, surely?
I’m not too sure about the under tray but cars ‘without’ oil leaks could be due to quite a few reasons.
The one that I would suggest is that those cars without leaks might not have had the type of usage to create a leak - yet. This tends to be usage where the oil gets quite hot - so longer higher speed journeys - although not always.
Of course some owners may actually have the leak and not notice it as well. Unless you pulled every car and thoroughly tested and checked it you couldn’t say for certain.
A good example of faults going unrecorded is lease cars where niggles and minor faults can go un-notified for the life of the car, but they still have the issues, it’s just no one is particularly bothered in reporting then and getting them sorted.

Cocijo, you dead right above when you said

The one that I would suggest is that those cars without leaks might not have had the type of usage to create a leak - yet. This tends to be usage where the oil gets quite hot - so longer higher speed journeys - although not always.

I checked my wife car weekly from day one and never had any sign of a leak, not on the tray or the floor where it is always parked for around the first 1500 miles. Then after doing a 400 mile round trip on motorways at 60-65 ish MPH not the normal motoring this car is used for generally, I go to my dealer for a software update ( not done ) and ask them to check for leaks and look at the undertray bulging, I’m now told there is a leak and they are to send pictures to MG to get the parts to sort it out, I assume the new type breather pipe, funny thing is that’s now almost a week ago but there is no visible sign of any leak with the car on the ground, and nothing in the parking spot on the floor.
Les

Cocijo, you dead right above when you said

I checked my wife car weekly from day one and never had any sign of a leak, not on the tray or the floor where it is always parked for around the first 1500 miles. Then after doing a 400 mile round trip on motorways at 60-65 ish MPH not the normal motoring this car is used for generally, I go to my dealer for a software update ( not done ) and ask them to check for leaks and look at the undertray bulging, I’m now told there is a leak and they are to send pictures to MG to get the parts to sort it out, I assume the new type breather pipe, funny thing is that’s now almost a week ago but there is no visible sign of any leak with the car on the ground, and nothing in the parking spot on the floor.
Les
Les , this could be because they cleaned all the oil off and if you haven't driven like this again since then probably not leaked since . Plus there's now less oil in it. 😀

Les , this could be because they cleaned all the oil off and if you haven't driven like this again since then probably not leaked since . Plus there's now less oil in it. 😀
Wel Andy I don’t think so because the morning after I did the long fast run I had a look under the car as I had been doing for weeks and there was nothing to be seen and as I said no oil on the floor only thing I can imagine is the oil if there’s any left to come out is on the upper surface of the tray that you can’t see unless it’s on a ramp perhaps.
Les

Wel Andy I don’t think so because the morning after I did the long fast run I had a look under the car as I had been doing for weeks and there was nothing to be seen and as I said no oil on the floor only thing I can imagine is the oil if there’s any left to come out is on the upper surface of the tray that you can’t see unless it’s on a ramp perhaps.
Les
Probably as less oil in it, spoke to my dealer the other day & he reckoned there's no new breather being fitted at the factory, just less oil added. Any found with leaks then they apply for the retrofit breather. Same goes with the undertray, he's not heard of a new one. This is his view so if that's correct I couldn't say. Also as I've previously mentioned, I still thing it's a heat warpage issue, may be some vehicles on the ships are over heat vents. This may account for some being flat if not over said vents.

That's why I'm going to wait a couple of months and see how you guys get on with your current cars, and any new posts about new cars still with issues.
I have had a quote (salary sacrifice through work) but I don't know what the delivery time is from ordering.

I'm definitely going to hold off for a couple of months, I'm in no rush to change cars.
Hi I got my MG4 SE short range just over two weeks ago my software is R13 not sure what that has updated. But I’ve done nearly 300 miles and at the moment spent £12 charging. Touch wood, I have had no problems (apart from a pod point issue now resolved). I’ll be honest I’m an A to B man and now driving is more enjoyable in this car. If you order now you may have to wait several months anyway. A lot of the guys on this forum have also had this long wait- it hopefully is long enough to iron out most of the problems. BTW don’t know if I have a breather pipe and have not looked under the car for the bulge😁

The apparent variation in oil leaks I can explain.

In order to leak the transmission first needs sufficient oil, secondly the pressure has to be raised which causes the air (and suspended oil) to be expelled.

Filled to specification, and taken on a long fast road trip I believe all cars would leak. It may be that some cars have insufficient oil (in which case what is the long term impact on transmission), have not yet been taken on drives that have sufficiently raised the temperature, and therefore pressure; or that owners have simply not checked or noticed the problem yet (why would if just bought a new car and are not forum members?)
Mine leaked before I'd done any long trips at any speed. I'd only been doing local trips driving on rural roads. It had also had the oil level dropped before delivery but still leaked.

Probably as less oil in it, spoke to my dealer the other day & he reckoned there's no new breather being fitted at the factory, just less oil added. Any found with leaks then they apply for the retrofit breather. Same goes with the undertray, he's not heard of a new one. This is his view so if that's correct I couldn't say. Also as I've previously mentioned, I still thing it's a heat warpage issue, may be some vehicles on the ships are over heat vents. This may account for some being flat if not over said vents.
What your dealer has told you makes little sense. If reducing the amount of oil fixes the issue, why fit a modified breather? I think many dealers just make stuff up. The real root cause of this issue is still not clear.

What your dealer has told you makes little sense. If reducing the amount of oil fixes the issue, why fit a modified breather? I think many dealers just make stuff up. The real root cause of this issue is still not clear.
I know, they certainly avoid the questions & aren't being transparent. You would of thought you were buying a sketchy used car 🙄

I know some people will disagree that the oil leak and undertray are minor, but as far as I can see they are: neither affects the car's performance or drivability.
I absolutely disagree. If I want oil on my driveway I could have bought a MG from the Sixties. It wouldn‘t even pass an MOT in the state of delivery. You have to be extremely nervy or ignorant to make this your customers‘ problem.

I doubt the dealer knows what he is talking about and is just trying to act knowledgeable. I any case if he is correct it is certainly an unsatisfactory attitude by MG.
As far as the reason for undertray warpage goes MG's are not the only vehicle delivered by ship. There are thousands of other brand cars with undertrays delivered by ship that do not seem to have a warpage issue.
I still think it comes down to quality control.

The tray is nothing to do with ships or heat, we all know the bloody holes don't line up with the bolts and they e had to force them on.

That'll be the good old Chinese mentality of "it's not my problem, someone else will have to deal with it!".

That's why I'm going to wait a couple of months and see how you guys get on with your current cars, and any new posts about new cars still with issues.
I have had a quote (salary sacrifice through work) but I don't know what the delivery time is from ordering.

I'm definitely going to hold off for a couple of months, I'm in no rush to change cars.
Current delivery time is 4+ months.

Did you ask if it will come with the new breather, or will you be expected to return to have it checked and photographed, then return a second time to have it fitted when it does?
I asked and this was his response:

‘The oil leak issue as far as we are aware has been resolved with all new orders before they are delivered to us.’

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 422 79.8%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 70 13.2%
  • No

Votes: 37 7.0%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back