MG4 Reduction Gearbox Oil Leak

Update, my car went to dealer yesterday, the 3rd time for the oil leaking issue.
First time was December last year, had the new pipe fitted. Leaked again in January.
So send back on 23rd Feb, not sure what dealer did, but they told me all sorted. For sure they didn't do much.
Went in again yesterday, and dealer told me it is still leaking!!! They are contacting the MG to seeking solution. Dealer also said they have another pipe with them, they will wait for MG feedback before fit the second pipe.

Update, my car went to dealer yesterday, the 3rd time for the oil leaking issue.
First time was December last year, had the new pipe fitted. Leaked again in January.
So send back on 23rd Feb, not sure what dealer did, but they told me all sorted. For sure they didn't do much.
Went in again yesterday, and dealer told me it is still leaking!!! They are contacting the MG to seeking solution. Dealer also said they have another pipe with them, they will wait for MG feedback before fit the second pipe.
Which dealer Maverickz if you dont mind saying ?

Frustrating ...
Less fluid, longer breather pipe didn't work and now another try with a new version of the breather pipe. Hopefully this one stops your leaking.

Without the factory one way valve, can't see the advantage in it.

I fitted this aluminium housing to the end of a 1.5 metre length of 6mm clear tube this afternoon, and positioned it high up in the left corner of the rear bumper, well above gearbox height.
I cable tied a piece of breathable soft foam over the end in place of the ball valve gizmo the car came with.
Drained and filled the box with 850ml of oil and went for a quick 8 mile blast, got up to 70mph .
Was getting dark by the time I got home so didn't want to put the car back on ramps, but when I checked underneath there were no oil drips whatsoever, looks promising.🤞

Not sure if it's the extra pipe, the extra height, or the additional volume of the chamber on the end, but it seems to the best result I've had so far. 850ml with everything else I've tried simply vomited oil everywhere within a couple of miles.

If it holds 850ml that will satisfy me to be honest. Maybe MG will come up with a more elegant solution in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

I still want to try moving the breather to the rear and side of the box where the fill hole is and I've ordered some parts to do that, the crazy pressure this thing throws out until the oil level drops below 700 ml is unbelievable.
Will be interesting to see whether a change of breather location alters this.
I do wonder if this is why MG had to check with the gearbox supplier and reduce the volume of oil - the 900ml original fill level could have been a mistake and the reduced level is actually the correct level.

I know it is fashionable to assume that the reduction is an evil plot by MG to fix the issue on the cheap, and it could be, but this is another possibility. They definitely did go back to the manufacturer to check the level, over-filling was a problem early on.

Is possible but still there are cars leaking transmission fluid despite this lower level. For those cars there must be another cause.
That describes my situation - neither the reduced fill nor the (first) breather mod has solved the issue as yet. Waiting on the dealer (who are no doubt waiting on MG).

Bought MG4 from Waylands Newbury MG.
But the actual repair job completed by Wayland's Newbury Volvo.

I got a Volvo too, and always serviced in Waylands Reading which no issue at all
You mentioned earlier first went back in December - So is it right to say yours was one of the first batch >? I collected mine Late late December (second Batch - a No Drowsy monitor Trophy version) - Of Which I had updates applied prior to being released

You mentioned earlier first went back in December - So is it right to say yours was one of the first batch >? I collected mine Late late December (second Batch - a No Drowsy monitor Trophy version) - Of Which I had updates applied prior to being released
yes, one of the first batch,
ordered the car on 20th Nov 22, and collect the car on 29th Nov.
found oil leaking on 30th Nov, but wasn't 100% sure it was oil. confirmed it was oil on 1st Dec and made first contact.

Are the new batches any different?
Im still not 100% that I have a visible leak - Not debating that I might have a leak just havent seen as others have reported - I thought I had - yet when I looked at the 'stain' it was central - So actually probably road wetness as the areas near either rear wheel was are dry & nothing seen on works car park or on driveway at home

To find out, you must take a look inside the transmission box of the first batch and the newer ones.
If 2023 models (with 'P' in position 10 of the VIN code), don't leak and have the original breather on it, I guess MG changed something inside the box.

What's to say that MG's latest fix for the oil leak isn't going to be based on this type of design?

land_rover_defender_vplep0435_1_1000x1000.jpg

To find out, you must take a look inside the transmission box of the first batch and the newer ones.
If 2023 models (with 'P' in position 10 of the VIN code), don't leak and have the original breather on it, I guess MG changed something inside the box.
Does the P indicate the year of manufacture?

Does the P indicate the year of manufacture?
Model year. I believe when something important changes, a transmission box by example, some start digits in the VIN code must also change. In 2022 pos.10 is 'N'.
An example of a Mitsubishi:

Attachments

• 22VINs.pdf
    91.9 KB · Views: 74

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 538 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member