MG4 Software Update Thread

Also I'm experiencing a weird power cut when battery is below 20-25% over speeds of ~120kmh, the accel. figure never passes 50 and I feel like Im in an old Fiat.
Did you post on Facebook about this issue? Apparently there's an update which fixes this power limiting issue.

They may have been updating the car modules software which you cant view, not the screen software
I do appreciate there's various bits of software. But I'm still disappointed they didn't at least comment/explain why the main element hadn't been touched.
I'll ping them an email and see what they say.

They were too mean to replace the hook that holds the parcel shelf in place - broken through only normal use - so I can't say I've been massively impressed.

I have some news from my dealer for SE/Standard 51kWh owners.

They received R33 last week, the exterior temperature readout should be restored with this version.

I’ve scheduled a appointment for next Tuesday to get the car updated. @Rolfe I’ll let you know if I get the temperature display back with this update, so you don’t have to beta-test by yourself!

Thanks! I've still got six months to go before any service.

Honestly, what's the point of an update to the infotainment screen if it doesn't make anything any better? It's nice to know that this one probably won't make anything actively worse, but I've not heard anything about it fixing any of the string of annoying problems we've all been putting up with since we got the cars.

Also I'm experiencing a weird power cut when battery is below 20-25% over speeds of ~120kmh, the accel. figure never passes 50 and I feel like Im in an old Fiat.

Crikey, have a look at the thread on power loss started by Bowfer in November of last year. This was a long-running saga that ended in him rejecting his car. Several other people had the issue and I think at least one other car was also refected.

Nevertheless a software update in July/August this year appears to have fixed it for two or three people who had the issue, although I think there is one person still saying he has a problem despite updates. (I wonder if he has actually had the right update.)

Your issue sounds a bit like that, although the cars that were badly affected were doing it at any SoC. I think you should raise the matter seriously with your dealer and insist that the right update is applied.

I personally don't think it is worth saving up a lot of updates for service time - the dealer will have very limited time to do the software updates in the service slot allocated by MG, so you are likely to get key modules only.

Better I think is to take into your dealer for warranty work to fix issues arising from the lack of module updates (problems with LKA, AEB, ACC, charging, bluetooth, USB etc...) and get them to start the process separately. Then you are more likely to get the infotainment and less critical updates at service I think.

On the Trophy/Luxury I think you have to press the Play All button to get folder view?
I have an Irish equivalent of a trophy, the exclusive model, and I was having the same problem with no folders but now it is working. The issue was not the amount of folders but the presence of some other files or folders on the usb drive that seems to have been stopping it showing the folder system. I removed everything from the drive that was not a music file or folder and now it appears on my infotainment with folders. Only last problem I have is that the tracks are not in correct order so will probably need to rename them or something. Hope this helps.

I personally don't think it is worth saving up a lot of updates for service time - the dealer will have very limited time to do the software updates in the service slot allocated by MG, so you are likely to get key modules only.
That may be the reality, but the service schedule says they will perform software updates, so a reasonable person would expect them to do ALL the software updates, not pick and choose which ones because they don't have time to do all of them. And the infotainment update is fairly quick anyway!

That may be the reality, but the service schedule says they will perform software updates, so a reasonable person would expect them to do ALL the software updates, not pick and choose which ones because they don't have time to do all of them. And the infotainment update is fairly quick anyway!
Also, the software update process should be a case of: plug laptop in, log in, open program, click confirm, get coffee, work on other cars.
It shouldn't require much in the way of active attention.

It shouldn't require much in the way of active attention.
Unfortunately, we know it does, each module has to manually started, and the order of module updates may matter depending on versions.

I agree though, the software should be smart enough to do all that automatically - MG must have ploughed many millions into developing their cars but afaics invested virtually nothing on this side - they were using off the shelf software for updating, then moved to another platform, which I know little about.

Yes, what mg4mc says - we know the upgrade process is far from click and forget, it needs constant babying.

I agree with the statements about what MG should provide, but it is also important to know the current limitations and problems with that and I'd rather take my car in twice and have it sorted than have to have an argument after the service.

Unfortunately, we know it does, each module has to manually started, and the order of module updates may matter depending on versions.

I agree though, the software should be smart enough to do all that automatically - MG must have ploughed many millions into developing their cars but afaics invested virtually nothing on this side - they were using off the shelf software for updating, then moved to another platform, which I know little about.
I do recognise this, and am to an extent sympathetic with the dealer.
However, to some extent, my stance is also "Not my problem".
The software updates are meant to be part of the service and that means the dealer don't whatever needs to be done to get that done. They can give SAIC a hard time.
Judging by when my phone pinged an alarm, I think they started working on my car very late, didn't have enough time to get things done, and decided to hope I wouldn't notice.

My trophy delivered this week came with R40 installed. And I specifically asked the dealer to make sure the latest software would be installed and they assured me it would be. Not sure what the difference is between R40 and R46, haven't noticed any major issues so far although haven't connected my phone at all yet..

When we had the R46 update, the technician told me if they fit the update without MG UK approval the garage own the infotainment unit and garage is responsible for any further issues. So maybe they are unable to install unless your having problems.
Regards
Andi

When we had the R46 update, the technician told me if they fit the update without MG UK approval the garage own the infotainment unit and garage is responsible for any further issues. So maybe they are unable to install unless your having problems.
Regards
Andi
Dealer will only get paid by MG if it's a warranty issue. Costs them money in labour to do the updates so it's either a warranty issue or they charge you. Not many dealers would absorb that cost.

I visited the dealership this morning to have my firmware updated to R33 on my MG4 Standard/SE.

Spoiler: it failed!!!!

The main reason for my visit, just two weeks after purchasing the car, was to replace the rear spoiler, which was found to be scratched upon delivery. So, it wasn't a complete waste of time, but I'm still somewhat disappointed.

They first attempted to install the update with an USB stick, but it failed. Then, they followed MG’s guidelines, which instructed them to update another calculator first. In the end, after several attempts, and trying for another two hours, they didn’t manage to update the car.

I was told that they had fried to update 3 cars so far, to no avail! According to the workshop manager, MG has the despicable habit of providing non-functional firmwares. They had already encountered the same kind of problem with other firmwares, in other models.

Unfortunately , until a workaround is found, some (if not all) MG4 SE/Standard may not be updatable to R33.

So either my dealer doesn’t know how to perform an update, or there is a genuine problem with MG’s firmwares. Given the bugs in the infotainment system, I wouldn't be surprised if they were even providing untested firmware ROMs……

Here is the current version of the firmware I’m stuck with:

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    386.6 KB · Views: 112
I visited the dealership this morning to have my firmware updated to R33 on my MG4 Standard/SE.

Spoiler: it failed!!!!

The main reason for my visit, just two weeks after purchasing the car, was to replace the rear spoiler, which was found to be scratched upon delivery. So, it wasn't a complete waste of time, but I'm still somewhat disappointed.

They first attempted to install the update with an USB stick, but it failed. Then, they followed MG’s guidelines, which instructed them to update another calculator first. In the end, after several attempts, and trying for another two hours, they didn’t manage to update the car.

I was told that they had fried to update 3 cars so far, to no avail! According to the workshop manager, MG has the despicable habit of providing non-functional firmwares. They had already encountered the same kind of problem with other firmwares, in other models.

Unfortunately , until a workaround is found, some (if not all) MG4 SE/Standard may not be updatable to R33.

So either my dealer doesn’t know how to perform an update, or there is a genuine problem with MG’s firmwares. Given the bugs in the infotainment system, I wouldn't be surprised if they were even providing untested firmware ROMs……

Here is the current version of the firmware I’m stuck with:
I must say I think that R33 is unlikely to be a SE Infotainment version as that is a Trophy number and I would have thought it likely that they will keep the numbers different for obvious reasons.

I thought R29 had been reported somewhere in Europe (Spain?) and that would probably be the latest for yours.

I must say I think that R33 is unlikely to be a SE Infotainment version as that is a Trophy number and I would have thought it likely that they will keep the numbers different for obvious reasons.

I thought R29 had been reported somewhere in Europe (Spain?) and that would probably be the latest for yours.
I think the R29 is the latest for the SE version R33 is trophy/luxury version

The workshop manager confirmed R33 was designed for Standard MG4s, whereas R46 was designed for Luxury versions. They even have procedures to get the firmware installed in the vehicles.

I assume SE and Trophy are merely commercial denominations for the same vehicles as Standard and Luxury, respectively.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back