MG4 Spotted! : Was it you?

But it would still allow you to drive an ICE automatic.

Re. the driving school car - I think that might be Sue Cropper who posts in one of the MG4 Facebook groups. :)
Ah, she's a familiar name from the Facebook group. I hope her tuition is going well in MG so far

Finally saw a red MG4 lunchtime today (12/06/2023) on the A515 near the Boars Head Hotel between Draycott in the Clay and Sudbury.
Unfortunately I only saw the back of it as I was waiting at the lights and it came the other way but because I was trying to change the radio station I nearly missed it.

Black SE in carpark at Costa in Cupar on Saturday

Bright orange one near Lydstep garden centre west Wales on Saturday, and a blue one today at Bryn Meadows roundabout near Blackwood in Caerphilly.

Blue MG4 SE spotted driving north on the A702 round about Damhead/Hillend, about 5.30 this afternoon. I was in the blue MG4 SE going in the other direction. I did try to wave but there wasn't much time.

I wonder if this is the same car as I saw in Newington Road in Edinburgh on 13th May? These are the only two sightings I've had at all, not far apart, and both the same model and colour. As mine. Caliban seems to have a twin.

Saw a grey MG4 today, waved but it was on a bend and don't think they saw me. In Hambrook, Bristol about 4:45pm. Anyone here?

Here in the wilds of Essex there are none also - one has to go as far as Bristol Docks where there are hundreds waiting to start their migration to their final destinations.😎
Although I live in Bristol, and mine was at the docks, I had to go to the dealer in Newbury to pick mine up. I won't complain, as the dealer is owned by an old friend, so got a nice discount ;-)

Does anyone know what the rules are, for someone learning to drive and passing their test on an EV? Are they allowed to drive ICE cars at all? Or is it the same as for learning on an automatic, just not allowed to drive manual gear-shift cars?
... I've wondered about this also, especially as the traditional manual ICE cars that driving schools use (i.e. ford fiesta), are just about to end production.

Your driving license doesn't specify which fuel the car you passed your test in only if it was automatic or manual so passing your test in an EV will let you drive an automatic ICE car.

Your driving license doesn't specify which fuel the car you passed your test in only if it was automatic or manual so passing your test in an EV will let you drive an automatic ICE car.

Makes sense.

I do wonder about driving schools using EVs (or indeed automatic ICE cars) though. Sure, manual gear-change is probably on the way out, but only very slowly and they're still making manual cars. A lot of smaller, more affordable cars are manual. There are going to be a lot of them around for the foreseeable future. I've never really understood why anyone would learn on an automatic and so cut themselves off from the possibility of ever being able to drive a manual transmission. I mean if you're going to learn, then learn properly.

I could certainly see the point for a driver with particular physical disabilities, but without that, why? And so, why would a driving school want to equip themselves with EVs? Or more than one, maybe.

Many people simply don't have the confidence/ability to handle 3 pedals and control a manual gear change - such people choose to learn in an automatic, knowing that they'll be restricted to driving automatics for their lifetime (unless they take a new test in a manual). It's been like this for a long time - I've known such people doing this 30+ years ago. :)

I can imagine that happens, though I'm surprised it's "many" people without a physical impairment. My mother learned on a manual car in the 1960s because there was no other option. She was definitely a rabbit, but she did it and passed her test.

I'm surprised if driving schools do more at the moment than offer the option on one (or two) cars. Maybe that's what they're doing of course. I'd have thought we were still in the era of if being standard to learn to drive anything unless there is a very strong reason you can't.

Many people simply don't have the confidence/ability to handle 3 pedals and control a manual gear change - such people choose to learn in an automatic, knowing that they'll be restricted to driving automatics for their lifetime (unless they take a new test in a manual). It's been like this for a long time - I've known such people doing this 30+ years ago. :)
And then there were people like my uncle, who decided not to upgrade from his bike licence, so was restricted to driving a Reliant Robin (Yes, it's supposed to be that way round! Reliant was the manufacturer!).

For the curious - before 2000, a motorcycle licence used to allow driving a "motor tricycle of under 550kg".
This was originally intended for bike/sidecar combos, but the Reliant (& other 3-wheelers from Bond & Morgan, etc.) just crept in under the 550kg limit.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 508 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel