MG4: The New Batch

I followed up on my order today. I was told there is a slight delay in production as they are waiting for a part. Put my date back by about 2 weeks. I wonder (hope) if that might be to change the breather pipe? They are still expecting my car to arrive late December though which makes me think this part could be fitted in the UK and not at the factory. Probably wishful thinking!

Got a call from the dealer that mine should arrive at the port next week. Then again from the last few conversations its been in the country a few weeks ago then some how it was back on the boat and now its arriving at the dock. No straight answer from MG. Never know a company to be so bad at communication as MG are.

Can anyone who’s picked one up the last few days confirm whether the car came with a type 2 cable or granny charger? Cheers

Can anyone who’s picked one up the last few days confirm whether the car came with a type 2 cable or granny charger? Cheers
I picked up last weekend and asked before hand what cable it came with. They told me it came with type 2 so I asked to swap it for a granny and they did with no problem. I recommend just asking for the cable you want.

So is the general vibe on the new batch that a lot of the initial problems have been rectified or too early to tell? The oil leak, the bulge, the driver alertness issue, etc. It's hard to get a handle on things - I'm meant to pick up my Trophy in the coming weeks but not feeling massively confident.

I was supposed to collect yesterday but they called and said breather pipe needed replacing. One has been ordered and I can collect next Tuesday.....mixed bag at the moment, happy its fixed, bit miffed as to how this was not spotted sooner given there its now known. still excited to collect :D

I picked up last weekend and asked before hand what cable it came with. They told me it came with type 2 so I asked to swap it for a granny and they did with no problem. I recommend just asking for the cable you want.
My thoughts at the moment, if it comes with a granny I should get a tethered 7kw charger installed, but would I still need to buy a cable to charge in public?

The key thing to check will be the build date (which will be on the CoC which should be in a plastic pouch in the glovebox). Mine arrived in the UK on 21-Oct but has a build date of 28-Aug. The undertray has a slight bulge but nothing to worry about, but it has suffered the oil leak (though I'm continuing to use it until the breather kit arrives with my dealer).

My thoughts at the moment, if it comes with a granny I should get a tethered 7kw charger installed, but would I still need to buy a cable to charge in public?
If you wish to use a non-rapid charge point (7/11/22kW) then (probably) yes. Only the rapid (CCS) charge points tend to be tethered.

I haven't bought a Type 2 cable yet.

Mine came with a granny (charge cable) 👀
Sorry I'm being lazy to look into it myself now but I seem to have noticed there's a gravitation towards granny chargers. I thought that was the slow 3 pin wall chargers that people were being discouraged from using as type 2s were faster, better and more universal ie more public spaces would use that.

What's the catch here?

I really hoped to get the 3 pin charger as I need both. The type 2 cable it would've been supplied with would be 1 phase when the car can likely take 3 phase and granny chargers are usually more expensive.

Please share pics! There don't seem to be that many black around. I also have a black Trophy on order.

Neighbours black trophy against our orange

41713EDA-F2D6-4A31-8C4A-1A2F112054CE.jpeg

Sorry I'm being lazy to look into it myself now but I seem to have noticed there's a gravitation towards granny chargers. I thought that was the slow 3 pin wall chargers that people were being discouraged from using as type 2s were faster, better and more universal ie more public spaces would use that.

What's the catch here?
I think people are wanting granny/3 pin chargers as they either haven't got a 7kW home charger yet or are unable to have one installed. It also lets you charge from a normal house socket in an emergency.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 87 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back