MG4: The New Batch

I've still not physically checked the length of my granny cable, but someone else said 3m, and the size of the bag would suggest a shorter cable than 5m.

I think people are wanting granny/3 pin chargers as they either haven't got a 7kW home charger yet or are unable to have one installed. It also lets you charge from a normal house socket in an emergency.
Ok. So basically the benefit here is that they can charge without having a home charger yet, albeit with the awareness that it's a slower process and also poses more of an electrical safety risk?

Somebody (@siteguru ?) said their bundled granny had only a 3m lead. Is that right?

I’d like a granny but a really short one is not a lot of use. I’ll be buying a 3 phase type 2 for my Trophy.
Do you have 3 Phase in your house? Most houses are single phase. Fast chargers in public space, 3 phases so is it for that purpose then rather than for your home charging?

Ok. So basically the benefit here is that they can charge without having a home charger yet, albeit with the awareness that it's a slower process and also poses more of an electrical safety risk?

In what way is it an electrical safety risk?

2.3kW means 10A continuous current draw from a 13A socket - which means the socket could heat up; and if there's a dodgy connection in the back of the socket (which a fairly low power device plugged in wouldn't cause an issue) then it could cause a fire.

Guru, a type 2 also serves the same function of charging at 11kw and 22kw at public charge points right? Are all type 2s 3 Phase?

Last edited:
Nope - most Type 2 cables are single phase. Look at what's written on them ... most will say 32A (hopefully) 1P; the 1P means single (one) phase. 3-phase cables will say 3P.

A 1P cable will work on an 11/22kW charge point, but only at 7kW max.

In depth explanation here. Only applies in countries with a PEN electrical system (eg Aus/NZ use MEN).

That's still not very long is it! I didn't think you were supposed to use extension cables with the charging cables either.
You can purchase extension cables for the granny charger that are fit for EV purpose for example from a company called Tough Leads. I used an extension cable from them with no issues before I had the home charger installed.

In depth explanation here. Only applies in countries with a PEN electrical system (eg Aus/NZ use MEN).

Sounds very highly unlikely to me.

Sounds very highly unlikely to me.
The probability is very low but the consequence can be death, hence the change in regulations.

What to do about it is up to the individual. I saw a study that said a signifcant percentage of EV owners daisy chain extension leads and leave them out in the rain.

Darwin will sort it out in the end. 😉

Last edited:
Sorry never noticed your question till I saw tsedge's response. I was more talking of the risk of overheating and possibility of fire (low though) as apparently 3 pins aren't meant to take on providing power to an EV. I'm not too sure of these things though as only getting into EVs now. Read bits and bobs here and there and maybe just spouting bull, but I'm sure some resident experts and gurus here might know better and set me straight.

Sorry never noticed your question till I saw tsedge's response. I was more talking of the risk of overheating and possibility of fire (low though) as apparently 3 pins aren't meant to take on providing power to an EV. I'm not too sure of these things though as only getting into EVs now. Read bits and bobs here and there and maybe just spouting bull, but I'm sure some resident experts and gurus here might know better and set me straight.

I'd never thought about it to be honest as I've only used the granny charger a few times. I'd hope there wasn't an inherent safety risk in using them as given the slow rate of charging they're likely to be left unsupervised for overnight charging.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 531 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back