MG4 trophy 12V battery

Just for further reassurance I’ve had my trophy since nov 22, parked it for up to 24 days on occasions and have had no issues with the 12v battery at all. As Ian says, check the terminals, get those updates and enjoy the car .
I have had my '22 MG4 Extended Range parked for 7 weeks, with no issues what so ever. I opened the door, sat in the seat and all fired up

Hi.

How do you charge the 12V battery directly? Using what and which point.
You connect the trickle charger to the terminals on the 12 volt battery and then plug it in to the mains, my charger is made by the AA and was only 25 pounds. The way it works is if the voltage drops below a certain level it starts to charge until it reaches a good level and it keeps doing this until you get back home.

The main traction battery recharges the 12v battery when needed even if the car is switched off. See my post #8 in
Yes I have read your post but this is not been my experience my MG app shows the voltage as 12 when the car is switched off, it then rises after it has been driven to approximately 14 volts. My MG4 is a 2023 model ES SR.

Yes I have read your post but this is not been my experience my MG app shows the voltage as 12 when the car is switched off, it then rises after it has been driven to approximately 14 volts. My MG4 is a 2023 model ES SR.
SE SR

It also shows 14 volts when you are charging the traction battery so it is charging then too.

Yeah, you're right. My previous ID.3 had 12v battery issues so I wanted to replace the SAIC one with a leisure battery, however that's a minefield as well.
A leisure-only lead-acid battery is likely to be more durable - different design and construction. ICE batteries are heavily compromised by the need to provide high cranking amps. They survive progressive degradation in both capacity and cranking until one day they don't. Extra cold weather, of course, will initiate a failure just when you are desperate and really need the car to start.

When the car is switched off, mine sometimes shows around 12V and at other times it will show 14V. The 14V isn't only after it has been driven, but can be when it has stood for a while. I assume that when it shows 14V that I've checked the car at a time when it happens to be charging the battery.

The OEM 12V battery can be swapped gor a 12V LiFePo4 battery. These hold their charge for months. Many motorcycles now come with this battery tech. I left one of my bikes for 5 months and it started right up as if it was run the day before. Prices have dropped a lot in the last few years.

The OEM 12V battery can be swapped gor a 12V LiFePo4 battery. These hold their charge for months. Many motorcycles now come with this battery tech. I left one of my bikes for 5 months and it started right up as if it was run the day before. Prices have dropped a lot in the last few years.

Have you got a link to one that will fit ?

I take it the car can charge this type of battery as well ?

I’m very keen on changing to a better battery and these seem ideal if there’s some that fit ?

Last edited:
@Tuareg I cant find a single 12V LiFePo4 battery that will fit the MG4 battery tray ?

It also appears LiFePO4 batteries don't work as well In cold temperatures than lead-acid batteries do so not really sure these would work ?

I have a small solar panel and use it when i go away. it gives 1 amp and just keeps the system charged for when i get back.
They used to use them on vehicles that were shipped across water to keep them charged, I got mine off Ebay.

Advice needed please.

Anyone clued up on 12V batteries? I’d like to replace the standard 12V battery with a better spec & larger capacity battery.

I keep reading about so many issues that seem to be down to the standard 12V battery and would like to avoid such issues

Thanks
I had issues with my 12v battery. Following a 60 mile journey the battery was flat the next morning. Called AA who said there's only 3 v left. He blamed dash cam which is plugged into lighter socket for draining the battery. I checked this out and discovered that the lighter socket is only live when the ignition is on. Matter referred to MG who carried out a software update, no further problems during last 2 months.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back