Mg4 trophy sales drop like a stone!

3 stalks actually, there are two regen padals, again very helpful and practical and a controller for the radio/music controls which probably isn't needed as the Google infotainment system is excellent and it can all be done by voice commands
No need for regen flaps with adaptive regen on the MG4, one setting does everything and 2 stalks for 2 hands is how I prefer it. Use CarPlay for all my entertainment needs so what the car has is irrelevant.

Bring back the walnut veneer dash and Smiths analogue dials
There are some amazing retro style EV dials on some conversions- like those used by the Electric Classic Cars company.

No need for regen flaps with adaptive regen on the MG4, one setting does everything and 2 stalks for 2 hands is how I prefer it. Use CarPlay for all my entertainment needs so what the car has is irrelevant.
You nearly convinced me there, right until I remembered the software is flaky at best and connection drops out regularly 👍

Changing to adaptive regen via the screen every journey is a pain.
Much prefer an ‘analogue’ way of changing.
On the Leaf, flick the drive selector to change.
On the Born, flick the drive selector to change between them.

Of course the bigger question is why MG bothered to develop the adaptive regen, which works well, only to NOT make it the default.
Baffling.

You nearly convinced me there, right until I remembered the software is flaky at best and connection drops out regularly 👍
Actually it hasn't dropped out recently. Not sure why, but I did do a phone update.

Changing to adaptive regen via the screen every journey is a pain.
Much prefer an ‘analogue’ way of changing.
On the Leaf, flick the drive selector to change.
On the Born, flick the drive selector to change between them.

Of course the bigger question is why MG bothered to develop the adaptive regen, which works well, only to NOT make it the default.
Baffling.
Yes, it should be the default, then there would be no need to press anything. But really, it takes only a moment or two to set for each journey, not something that I find a problem.

Yes, it should be the default, then there would be no need to press anything. But really, it takes only a moment or two to set for each journey, not something that I find a problem.

Changing that plus lane assist every journey was a pain for me, especially when they weren’t on the same screen IIRC.

Changing that plus lane assist every journey was a pain for me, especially when they weren’t on the same screen IIRC.
Correct.

Every time I get in the car I typically have to adjust the seat, steering column, mirrors (we have them in quite different position), so adding a couple of settings on the screen isn't a biggie. I can see how it could be annoying for sole drivers.

I once had a V8 Jaguar S-type which had memory everything and that was sublime, the key was linked to all the settings and everything moved into position when I got in the car. I am surprised more cars don't do that.

Correct.

Every time I get in the car I typically have to adjust the seat, steering column, mirrors (we have them in quite different position), so adding a couple of settings on the screen isn't a biggie. I can see how it could be annoying for sole drivers.

I once had a V8 Jaguar S-type which had memory everything and that was sublime, the key was linked to all the settings and everything moved into position when I got in the car. I am surprised more cars don't do that.

Seat have a ‘user setting’
Apparently it means I can log into any seat I drive and it will replicate my desired settings.
But seeing as that’s unlikely to ever happen I’ll never know.
Unfortunately it means pressing a user name screen every journey, like the ‘confirm telematics’ screen in a leaf.
Bit of a pain but at least it’s front end and I don’t have to search for it.

400 miles now. 9 day old dec2022 build SE LR.

All the default settings work for me. Regen useful to coast to halt. Lane assist intervention is extremely mild and at least half the time its not even active (green icon top left of driver screen).

So far nothings tried to kill me or done anything terribly unpredictable

Bring back the walnut veneer dash and Smiths analogue dials
Volkswagen is doing some kind of a retro cluster in the ID.2 and although it's a bit silly I have to admit that I quite like it. ;-)

D4Mh7Yf.jpg

I miss the mark I golf I learned to drive in, but I am sure if I drove one now I would be appalled how bad it is compared to modern cars. Retro dates quickly.
Yes, they are playing with people's memories there to win their favour.

Those cars are classics now, everyday use might be annoying. But they can be great fun as a pastime. ;-)

Volkswagen is doing some kind of a retro cluster in the ID.2 and although it's a bit silly I have to admit that I quite like it. ;-)

D4Mh7Yf.jpg

Just clarifying for those on here that will think that’s going to be the default.
That’ll just be a setting option, there will be more familiar EV displays if you want.
I’d maybe use it for fun on occasion, but I do prefer a digital speedo.

The only car that comes close to a young person's car in the ev world right now is probably the cupra Born, it's the most hot hatch type ev out there.

And to be fair it is the quickest 0-60 of the ev hatchbacks
Younger gen love Tesla.

From my experience, more 18-25 males without kids would go for the Cupra Born if they wanted an EV, rather than a Tesla with costly insurance and higher purchase price.
Tesla's are the more likely choice EV for 25+ males especially with family, if budget allows.
The fiat 500e or Abarth 500e could fit the 18-25 demographic, more females seem to drive the fiat 500 petrol models so this might follow with the EV.

I'm pushing 30,M, with 2 kids under 7 and the MG4 Trophy will be my first EV (collect it this week!!) and first brand new car for a number of years, since I had a 15' plate Mazda 6 2.2 which was very nice. I've been driving a MK3 Honda CR-V EX Diesel for a number of years and it's been great. I use it as a van which I'm going to miss with the 4.

But.. I would have a Tesla Model S or X if I could justify it (I love them) and had the finances set up for it. Fact of the matter is the MG4 seems to be a great value for money car, for a first EV, which drives nice, and when everything works as it should - has everything you could need from a brand new EV.

But.. I would have a Tesla Model S or X if I could justify it (I love them) and had the finances set up for it. Fact of the matter is the MG4 seems to be a great value for money car, for a first EV, which drives nice, and when everything works as it should - has everything you could need from a brand new EV.
Yes, when everything works as it should. There's a mixed experience in that respect, although later batch cars appear to be much better. Hope you have a good dealer near you, that seems to make a huge difference with after sales care.

70% 34 years or younger? That’s young from where I‘ m standing!
No, that was a separate study on a car insurance savings app, which is aimed at young people, not the data from the main study. The median age for all Tesla owners mentioned: 3, S, X was over 50.

Yes, when everything works as it should. There's a mixed experience in that respect, although later batch cars appear to be much better. Hope you have a good dealer near you, that seems to make a huge difference with after sales care.
My dealer is around 5 minutes drive away, and up to now they've been brilliant, my car (Grey Trophy) arrived a few weeks ago as a cancellation and I snapped it up unregistered with a discount as it was in their showroom.

Visual inspection seems to pass all of the usual bodywork tests. I'm just crossing my fingers its not a Friday Afternoon car 🤞

Just clarifying for those on here that will think that’s going to be the default.
That’ll just be a setting option, there will be more familiar EV displays if you want.
I’d maybe use it for fun on occasion, but I do prefer a digital speedo.
Oh, yes! Of course it's just an option. They also do a Beetle one. ;-)

I've been saying since the MG4 came out that it would be my next EV but with second hand prices dropping I'm now considering a Tesla Model 3. Low mileage 2-3 year old models are about the same price as the MG4 Trophy and have a quoted range of 340 miles. OK you won't have the benefit of a 7 year warranty but you probably get more bells and whistles.

Any one have any thoughts?
I test drove a model 3 off the back of my neighbour buying one and despite the in my opinion questionable looks had my heart set on one but couldn’t justify the cost to upgrade from my Corsa E at the time, then the MG4 came along… had the model 3 used prices dropped to what they were now when I bought my MG4 personally I think it would have been a no brainer 🤷🏽‍♂️

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 511 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back