Mg4 trophy sales drop like a stone!

And as I predicted the price is starting to fall on the trophy, now £31.4K with immediate delivery. Still not cheap enough for me as it would be a second car. This should affect the price of the Se, with some hard bargaining at a dealers I’d be looking for a good discount.

And as I predicted the price is starting to fall on the trophy, now £31.4K with immediate delivery. Still not cheap enough for me as it would be a second car. This should affect the price of the Se, with some hard bargaining at a dealers I’d be looking for a good discount.

People still waiting for cars they ordered months ago and paid more for must be pretty p’eed off.
Not that I’ve got much sympathy for anyone willing to sit back and wait months a car…
I Dont Care Deal With It GIF

£31.4k is the price before the £1k price rise at the beginning of the year although when looking at Auto Trader this morning the cheapest is £31.8k for a new one and some of those seem to be pre registered.

£31.4k is the price before the £1k price rise at the beginning of the year although when looking at Auto Trader this morning the cheapest is £31.8k for a new one and some of those seem to be pre registered.
There are some on brand new £1000 off.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415-091423.png
    Screenshot_20230415-091423.png
    567.2 KB · Views: 122
SE SR with a grand off also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230415-091823.png
    Screenshot_20230415-091823.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
In other words, back to the price I paid. ;) (Well, I paid extra for the Camden Grey paint - but you know what I mean). :)

Traditionally MG has been a brand that would give a heavy discount on new prices. I got nearly £7k off my new ZS. Then the market changed and discounts dried up. Any ‘car of the year’ like the MG4 will try to hold the list price without discounts, but they will have to return soon.

RWD beats FWD any day. MG got it right and it appears many manufacturers are planning to go that way even if their current offerings are FWD.
How does it ‘beat’ fwd? Doesn’t it depend on a lot of factors? I.e power output, type of car, weight distribution, vehicle weight, size of car, size of battery pack etc. Do you have any details evidence of the many manufacturers planning to go to rwd?

How does it ‘beat’ fwd? Doesn’t it depend on a lot of factors? I.e power output, type of car, weight distribution, vehicle weight, size of car, size of battery pack etc. Do you have any details evidence of the many manufacturers planning to go to rwd?
Yes I’ll happily stay with my five - I have loved front wheel drive since my minis.

In general rear wheel drive provides much better traction and stops the front wheels fighting between steering and powering the vehicle. If you drive both the MG4 and MG5 you'll notice how the 5 is prone to wheelspin under higher acceleration.

Historically most cars were rear wheel drive, front drive emerged as a weight and cost saving measure that cut out the need for a propshaft and enabled more compact transverse ICE engine configurations.

With EVs there's no such considerations so they can be rear and front drive or both easily, which is why rear drive will most likely become more popular again.

In the wet/snow rear drive ICE cars can be very poor for traction but this is not the same with EVs. ICE cars have a heavy engine up front, so the weight is in the wrong place whereas EVs like the 4 have even weight distribution. EVs can do far better traction control with electric motors than is possible with ICE - see the various snow videos of rear drive Teslas driving past everything else, front or rear drive.

I am more than happy with my MG4 but can't help but think that it's resell value will be virtually zero in two years.

I've just seen the press release from CATL claiming they can enter production of 500wh /kg batteries as early as this year. This will be a game changer, who would want a second hand car with a 250 mile range, when there will be faster charging new ones which have ~1000 mile range.

CATL's new 500 Wh/kg battery pack could power airplanes, claims company

It's very subjective you could just as easily say AWD beats RWD as that's what all the performance EVs are.
Granted your classic sports car set up was rear wheel mid engine for weight distribution as the YouTube ⭐ says it allows the front wheels to concentrate on the steering rather than the fight between putting the power down and steering at the same time. I'm agreeing with him again🤬

A rear wheel drive BEV is far better than an Older RWD ice, the rear end on my old 200sx was so light it's was terrible in the snow and could go pear shaped quickly in the wet.
Like the old mid engines sports cars I mentioned RWD Bev's don't suffer from this.
My Mégane is fwd and if I floor it in the damp/wet it will spin like mad.

I am more than happy with my MG4 but can't help but think that it's resell value will be virtually zero in two years.

I've just seen the press release from CATL claiming they can enter production of 500wh /kg batteries as early as this year. This will be a game changer, who would want a second hand car with a 250 mile range, when there will be faster charging new ones which have ~1000 mile range.

I know what you mean, but we can't go on waiting forever for the next advance in EV technology. My hand was somewhat forced, I pretty much had to change my car, and I didn't want to get a second-hand ICE car for a few years when I could have an EV that will do what I want it to do now. I console myself by remembering that it does do what I want it to do, and it will continue to do that, hopefully, regardless of its nominal resale value.

The reality of that could potentially be a while away or just round the corner look at BEV's today compared to the first Leafs, things will always change and progress.
As the new technology arrives people could be looking at a BEV for the first time, we don't know what the costs are going to be but a 4 year old MG4 with 3 years warranty left might be a more realistic purchase for someone taking their first step.

There are always new advances coming out, one can forever wait because something big is around the corner.

There will always be a market for second hand EVs as more people want to adopt them. Plenty of people drive older ICE cars even though they are pretty terrible compared to the latest offerings. Longer range isn't a selling point if you don't need it.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back