MG4 Undertray dip/bulge

Good points. However, when they signed the deal with MG, as far as the customer is quite rightly concerned - they are MG. They take customers money and must face up to the issues and sort them out.
It might appear like that but they are actually independent businesses. It would be more accurate to describe them as a franchise with a service department attached. They are merely a broker for a new car purchase and they are dependent on MG corporate for all parts / servicing procedures and warranty decisions.

This is on the basis that I don't yet own the MG4 and apart from the various photos I have never looked underneath either.
But is it not just an issue with slotting the holes that the bolts pass through to secure the undertray to the underfloor.
And then holding the tray flat against the underneath of the car, tightening the bolts to hold the undertray in position.

This is on the basis that I don't yet own the MG4 and apart from the various photos I have never looked underneath either.
But is it not just an issue with slotting the holes that the bolts pass through to secure the undertray to the underfloor.
And then holding the tray flat against the underneath of the car, tightening the bolts to hold the undertray in position.
The holes in the tray don't marry up to the mounting holes that's why it bulges which is the issue, the fix would be to slot the tray but that seems too logical and easy for MG

It might appear like that but they are actually independent businesses. It would be more accurate to describe them as a franchise with a service department attached. They are merely a broker for a new car purchase and they are dependent on MG corporate for all parts / servicing procedures and warranty decisions.
This is at the heart of the issue. Issue resolution requires ownership. When there are multiple touch points it leads to frustration and lack of ownership. Customers need a single contact point to get issues resolved.
I appreciate authorisation may be required but it still needs ownership and the way the dealership is structured shouldn’t be the customers problem.
If I buy a faulty product from Amazon they replace it or refund me - they don’t tell me that I need to speak to the manufacturer first.

The holes in the tray don't marry up to the mounting holes that's why it bulges which is the issue, the fix would be to slot the tray but that seems too logical and easy for MG
I'd be really tempted to fix that myself, but then no doubt I open myself up to claims that I've invalidated the warranty!

Although, I could do it and then claim "that's characteristic of the car"! 🤣

To be honest if mine has the bulges when I get it I'll see if the garage I've been using for years to service my cars will do that. My arthritis won't let me scrabble under cars on ramps anymore.

This is at the heart of the issue. Issue resolution requires ownership. When there are multiple touch points it leads to frustration and lack of ownership. Customers need a single contact point to get issues resolved.
I appreciate authorisation may be required but it still needs ownership and the way the dealership is structured shouldn’t be the customers problem.
If I buy a faulty product from Amazon they replace it or refund me - they don’t tell me that I need to speak to the manufacturer first.
That's why the Tesla model of sales/service is better: there's just one party to deal with, although it has not been without its issues, so I am talking about that model, not Tesla per se.

I highly doubt you buy things on Amazon costing £25k+, it is pretty cheap for most things for them to refund/replace. But the point is taken: it should be that easy.

Understood.
But it it is causing as much aggravation as seems to be the case, why not DIY.

People scared to do it, or worried of implications from MG on warranty items 🤷🏻‍♂️ who knows
The warranty one for me. Not saying they would, but they could point to it and say something stupid like "invalidates corrosion warranty".

Actually, would be interesting to know if anyone does wax/seal the underside whether that is allowed by the warranty.

The warranty one for me. Not saying they would, but they could point to it and say something stupid like "invalidates corrosion warranty".

Actually, would be interesting to know if anyone does wax/seal the underside whether that is allowed by the warranty.
I'd be tempted to buy one off a wreck, as a warranty backup for when car goes in for any warranty work 🤣

Last edited:
People scared to do it, or worried of implications from MG on warranty items 🤷🏻‍♂️ who knows
If you do carry out repairs on a lot of cars and correct issues you used to be called… a dealership. Those days are over though. Being overtaken by owners DIY.

Last edited:
If you do carry out repairs on a lot of cars and correct issues you’re used to be called… a dealership. Those days are over though. Being overtaken by owners DIY.
Well that's the thing - with EVs, owners COULD do all of the maintenance EXCEPT software updates, but those SHOULD just work over the air (like Tesla).

But then dealers would all go bust (profits are in servicing, not sales typically) - it is another reason why the franchise dealer model needs to die.

Actually a lot of stuff on Amazon isnt sold by Amazon as they act as a fulfilment centre for the supplier. And its the supplier that will remedy - Amazon is a middleman in these circumstances

Actually a lot of stuff on Amazon isnt sold by Amazon as they act as a fulfilment centre for the supplier. And its the supplier that will remedy - Amazon is a middleman in these circumstances
Unfortunately incorrect, under consumer rights law it's whom ever the contract of sale is with which is whom ever takes payment for the goods, so even though Amazon like to make you believe they're not your retailer they are for every transaction on amazon

Understood.
But it it is causing as much aggravation as seems to be the case, why not DIY.
Why should you ! You have just spent £26k and up on a brand new car, it's not for the owner to fix a part MG knowingly fitted (forced) onto the car even though the holes didn't line up.

My point is - as a customer I don’t care. Amazon sorts it for me as far as I am concerned. How they deal with manufacturer/supplier I have no interest in. If a product is not fulfilled by Amazon then I don’t buy it.

My point is - as a customer I don’t care. Amazon sorts it for me as far as I am concerned. How they deal with manufacturer/supplier I have no interest in. If a product is not fulfilled by Amazon then I don’t buy it.
I've had a few arguments with Amazon over not fulfilled by Amazon, as soon as you mention consumer rights and contract of sale under UK law, surprisingly you quickly get passed to a supervisor and the matter gets resolved.

Unfortunately incorrect, under consumer rights law it's whom ever the contract of sale is with which is whom ever takes payment for the goods, so even though Amazon like to make you believe they're not your retailer they are for every transaction on amazon
Not quite correct ... if you pay via PayPal for example, you're paying PayPal not the supplier, but your contract is still with the supplier. :)
In terms of Amazon, if it's a marketplace seller (and not fulfilled by Amazon) then your contract is not with Amazon, even if you've paid via their portal/website. Therefore Amazon are only bound by whatever terms they impose on marketplace sellers, and whatever liabilities said terms impose on Amazon. The exact same applies in respect of eBay.

I've had a few arguments with Amazon over not fulfilled by Amazon, as soon as you mention consumer rights and contract of sale under UK law, surprisingly you quickly get passed to a supervisor and the matter gets resolved.
In such situations the value of the transaction may matter ... for relatively low-value transactions they'll take a pragmatic approach and refund/replace for the consumer as it'll cost more to argue their case - while they're dealing with you they're not supporting other sales.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 498 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back