MG5 LR charging with a Zappi 2 in Eco2

@Les burrows

Your post above is a really good description of the three basic modes of the zappi - It would certainly have helped me when I was doing my research into which charger to purchase.

One thing I would also mention is that the amount of energy the zappi takes from solar (or other generator) and the amount it takes from the national grid is fully configurable and used with the 'Boost Timer' was the deal clincher for me... I don't have solar (or other). I don't yet have a split tariff like Octopus but am charging 00:30 - 04:30 a couple of times a week in preparation.. I've set the charger's default mode to ECO+ (two leaves) and set the Boost Timer to charge between these early morning times. In the evening when I need a charge, I plug in the car, lock and leave it and in the morning the zappi display tells me how much energy it sent to the car.. I aim to keep the car between 40% and 80% with a once a month ‘equalisation’ charge also done overnight in ECO+ mode.

For those others reading this thread that are researching which charger to choose. I would say that whether or not you have solar (or other) generation - the fully configurable nature of the zappi is a must for those like me that want to be in full control of the charging.

Also a researcher should remember that the cost of the charger itself is fixed, it is the cost of 'installation' that fluctuates depending on each individual situation. For those in the North West I can recommend APi Electrical (Manchester) - contact Alysia on [email protected] - tell them Martin Reid recommended them...

Sincerely
Martin

PS I've attached a PDF of the zappi manual for researchers to use.

Attachments

• Zappi-2-Full-Manual-V1_6.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 107
That is a very clear take and understood a big thank you.
I like the idea of solar panels, but for now the car has cost a lot, including just short of £2000 for the Zappy and an updated fusebox/ fuses.
The point of going eV is to cancel out the up front costs with savings over time.
But we need to have a think as even for instance the £130 type 2 we bought( as a back up really, just incase) will take a long time to make back ie about a years driving at our current £0.24p/ KW.
Thanks again very much.
We do love the car, just seems for us so right as a compromise car ie my wife replacing her Ibiza and local trips, me for the capacity as I sold a Berlingo and need space for off road bikes and fishing ( keeping all inside the car).
Seems whatever we do at present the car is overall giving 4.3m/KW - which is just fine and slowly coming to terms with range angst.
Hi Roger

I had a zappi (type 1) at my last house and used for about 2 years.
If it is a very sunny summers day without clouds it is fine to charge the car (unless using power in the house), however on mixed cloud days I did not like to have the car on / off charging all the time, also of course similar applies when using power in the house.
I ended up having a power diverter installed to heat the water and found overall it was cheaper to charge the car overnight using octopus go.
I don't have solar panels in my new house and installed a EO mini pro (which also has solar capabilities) I find it much simpler to use and very effective.
Overall, solar panels are fine, but you will only get effective power in the summer, I really didnt see the benefit of charging the car as most days have cloud (or someone puts the kettle on), having octopus go proved better financially.
However if you have a battery system then perhaps panels will work for you, but I think that without the FIT payments it would be hard to justify an average system cost.

@ martinreid
Hi and thank you for you input plus the pdf you posted I didn’t know how to do that, but it will be very helpful to other members I’m sure of that and yes I did use API electrical for my installation as they where recommend to me by Myenergi who make the zappi the lady I dealt with there I’m sure was called Jill in Wigan I think anyhow local to me no problems with them at all excellent
I mainly just slow charge in Eco with 1 leaf as am at home most days so just let it tick over and that does me and with my solar cost is nothing or very close to it, unless of course I need it full the next day for a trip somewhere then I fast or boost charge its brilliant in my book.
Les

One additional piece of info for using Zappi.

You can change the minimum percentage green down from 100% to say 75% and then in Eco++ it will charge when solar provides 75% of the 1.4kw needed and only charge above 1.4 when you have more than 1.4 free.

To be honest Roger if you have not got solar there are far far cheaper options out there and even the Supplied granny charger will do the job
That's what we do. We have 4kwh of solar and 7.8kw of battery storage. When the battery in the house is full we plug the car in using the granny charger and leave it to charge slowly. A smart plug in the socket where the car is plugged in switches it off if the house battery falls below about 70%. Cost £15 for the smart plug and about 15 minutes to code the logic to switch it off! Only problem we have is the car doesn't start charging again once the smart plug turns power back on unless I manually unlock and lock the car :(

We did pay to have a podpoint installed when we got the car but have only used it a couple of times in the 10 months we have had the car!

One additional piece of info for using Zappi.

You can change the minimum percentage green down from 100% to say 75% and then in Eco++ it will charge when solar provides 75% of the 1.4kw needed and only charge above 1.4 when you have more than 1.4 free.
Hi thank you for that information, when my Zappi was installed I was a bit disappointed that my car kept turning the charge relays in the car on and off every time the solar dropped below 1.4 kw output, and the relays in the car where turning on and off like mad, in Eco ++ iwhen there was any clouds floating around. ( Eco ++ = Eco with 2 leaves on the display )

I spoke with the people who installed the Zappi, they came as a recommended company of installers from the Myenergi web site to ask why this was happing, and they confirm everything was working as it should I thought once plugged in the car would stay connected to the zappi even thou the zappi would not give any output once the solar went below that 1.4 kw but I was told nothing could be done to stop this except to avoid using Eco ++ when there might be clouds floating across and to use Eco+ ( Eco+= Eco with 1 leaf on the display ) which will always draw 1.4kw from where ever it needs to and when the clouds clear it will draw all that it can from the solar output which it does and that would stop the car from tripping on & off which it does as it is always connected in effect.

So please correct me if I’m wrong, your saying that the Zappi will keep charging down to 75% of the 1.4kw which is 1.05 watts, but if the solar falls below 1.05w the zappi stops charging at that output level instead of the claimed minimum of 1.4kw is that correct.?.
If so what does the cars relays do, do they now trip in & out as before but at the lower level of 1.05 watts ?.
Thanks
Les

Hi thank you for that information, when my Zappi was installed I was a bit disappointed that my car kept turning the charge relays in the car on and off every time the solar dropped below 1.4 kw output, and the relays in the car where turning on and off like mad, in Eco ++ iwhen there was any clouds floating around. ( Eco ++ = Eco with 2 leaves on the display )

I spoke with the people who installed the Zappi, they came as a recommended company of installers from the Myenergi web site to ask why this was happing, and they confirm everything was working as it should I thought once plugged in the car would stay connected to the zappi even thou the zappi would not give any output once the solar went below that 1.4 kw but I was told nothing could be done to stop this except to avoid using Eco ++ when there might be clouds floating across and to use Eco+ ( Eco+= Eco with 1 leaf on the display ) which will always draw 1.4kw from where ever it needs to and when the clouds clear it will draw all that it can from the solar output which it does and that would stop the car from tripping on & off which it does as it is always connected in effect.

So please correct me if I’m wrong, your saying that the Zappi will keep charging down to 75% of the 1.4kw which is 1.05 watts, but if the solar falls below 1.05w the zappi stops charging at that output level instead of the claimed minimum of 1.4kw is that correct.?.
If so what does the cars relays do, do they now trip in & out as before but at the lower level of 1.05 watts ?.
Thanks
Les
Yes that is correct

1656693271216.png

If you have it set to 50% green it turns on if you have 700W free and charges at 1.4kW until you have more than 1.4kW spare generation. It turns off if it falls below that.

To cover clouds you can change the delay timer so if it drops below 700W for say 60 seconds it stays on but this also delays start of charge too by 60s!

Ok thank you again, I’ll have another look at it when I get back home away at the moment for a few days, been running it on Eco+ for the last 15 months or so with no issues at all and I’m tryin at the moment to get my solar array doubled to just over 8 KW for when we can get a 2nd EV and at times 3 EV when my sons home from time to time
Les

Someone who knows better than me will no doubt be along shortly and correct me but I think I read somewhere that many older houses circuits would not be adequate to charge three at once, and I believe two might be challenging for some. Worth checking anyway before you splash the cash.

Most properties have a 15kW supply limit, but they also have a fuse which could be up to 100A implying 23kW. You will need to load limit to have 3 x 7kW chargers because if the solar drops off you will probably be exceeding the limit, but it can be done.
The key is to ask your DNO what your limit is and to buy charge point that can split the available current to your desired rules - which may limit your choice.

Smokie and BugEyed
I never said They would be charging all at the same time I’m sure I wouldn’t even think of trying to and that’s for sure
Les

Last edited:
Les to me the clear and unambiguous implication of doubling the size of your array was for when you can get a 2nd and at times 3 EV when your sons home but never mind I was only trying to be of assistance :)

The DNO sets a limit of 6kw export, so for a 8kw system you need an export limit
Hi all, I believe this is so but I contacted my local DNO and they told me they would need to come and survey my supply, but I needed to get which ever installer to submit the correct forms they to do that, give me the numbers of these forms but I can’t remember them of the top of me head.

But it can be more than 6kw in certain areas they said, problem at the present is getting people to do the job, every ones very very busy at this time, because of the VAT being cut many are telling me, but it’s got to happen sooner rather than later I hope, as i have also notice that prices are also on the increase with anything in this sector.
Les

Wow I am waiting for a quote for a zappi installation but if it’s anywhere near £2k I’ll be going with the £995 hypervolt installation with the same company.
1/2 cost is new fuse box, to meet issue 8+ regs.
If you have to upgrade yr fusebox, that's what the extra cost is.
Beauty about the Zappi is it is as safe as available regarding getting a shock from a live car, and as the current MG5 is not intelligent, you can control charging from your phone.
Also will take solar or wind power, so long as there is > 1.4A ( so likely " on average" you may need to input 3A.
Cheers

To be honest Roger if you have not got solar there are far far cheaper options out there and even the Supplied granny charger will do the job at around 2.3kw per hour a neighbour of mine has had his MG 5 just a week less than me and only ever uses the granny never ever been to a fast or rapid charger but as only driven around 2300 miles in 15 months so can manage with his granny charger.
Les
Thanks Les

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom