My Ownership Log: MG4 Trophy

I really don't get MG's service pricing, I know legacy car makers are still trying to generate money but, and this is in no way meant as a my car is better than your car post!
My service plan for my car is £4.99 a month for 3 years (legacy car maker) and I have 3 years assistance with my car also.

It doesn't have to be a rip off.
Like most manufacturers, they want to retain their dealer network. They have chosen to put more of the cost on servicing and less on the price of the vehicle to achieve this. Whether this is the right solution remains to be seen but presumably the argument is that people are used to paying a lot for servicing.

The costs of a dealer network have to be recouped somewhere: car prices, finance rates, servicing costs, subscriptions for features, there are only so many choices and different makes are trying out different solutions.

Like most manufacturers, they want to retain their dealer network. They have chosen to put more of the cost on servicing and less on the price of the vehicle to achieve this. Whether this is the right solution remains to be seen but presumably the argument is that people are used to paying a lot for servicing.

The costs of a dealer network have to be recouped somewhere: car prices, finance rates, servicing costs, subscriptions for features, there are only so many choices and different makes are trying out different solutions.
It's similar to how printer manufacturers make their profit. The printer is cheap but the ink is expensive. You can buy cheap non-manufacturer ink but it voids the warranty.

Indeed, but the danger in that approach is that many customers will seek an independent (which does not void warranty) with a lower price and forgo the roadside recovery which you can get for about £35 a year anyway.
MG dealerships would likely be wiser to be a sales only shop, which are county based only and leave the servicing to approved independent networks.

Indeed, but the danger in that approach is that many customers will seek an independent (which does not void warranty) with a lower price and forgo the roadside recovery which you can get for about £35 a year anyway.
That's possible but an awful lot of people buying new cars like to have them main dealer serviced for peace of mind.

Independents are far more popular for second hand and older cars.
MG dealerships would likely be wiser to be a sales only shop, which are county based only and leave the servicing to approved independent networks.
Possibly, although that would be a big bet given that arguably their dealer network in the UK is what sets them apart from other Chinese makes.

Partnering with independent networks takes a long time to set up and scale up, I think it will take 2-3 years for competitors to have widespread competing networks.

In the long run, it might well be the only cost effective way to do it, I agree with that.

Hmm, slightly worrying! Took my SE in for a software update, breather, etc. and I've had three warning emailed from SAIC: one for brakes and then two for airbag.. The timings would indicate this is probably the software update unless they are drawing lots as to who has to call me! ;-)

Hmm, slightly worrying! Took my SE in for a software update, breather, etc. and I've had three warning emailed from SAIC: one for brakes and then two for airbag.. The timings would indicate this is probably the software update unless they are drawing lots as to who has to call me! ;-)
It's normal, I had the same. It's just them updating things which triggers these warnings from the app. Nothing to worry about

That's possible but an awful lot of people buying new cars like to have them main dealer serviced for peace of mind.

Independents are far more popular for second hand and older cars.

Possibly, although that would be a big bet given that arguably their dealer network in the UK is what sets them apart from other Chinese makes.

Partnering with independent networks takes a long time to set up and scale up, I think it will take 2-3 years for competitors to have widespread competing networks.

In the long run, it might well be the only cost effective way to do it, I agree with that.
Well looking into this, I went to an independent garage who said they could service my car without affecting my warranty, plus I see Halfords will service an MG without affecting warranty too. Full electric service £169.

So it appears there are options open for customers if MG dealerships don't compete on price with servicing.

... But remember the free AA assistance. I reckon it saves me £85 per yer
Yes. like I mentioned above #143, roadside recovery can be obtained for a little as £35 from 'Start Rescue' and the like. So add that together and MG needs to undercut about £204 for a full service.

Last edited:
Yes. like I mentioned above #143, roadside recovery can be obtained for a little as £35 from 'Start Rescue' and the like. So add that together and MG needs to undercut about £204 for a full service.
But MG Assist is the full bhoona AA cover of Roadside, Relay Plus and Home Start, not the limited cover that the likes of Start Rescue offer "from £35". :)

The amount of cover you get would cost you around £130 from the AA, the difference between the MG version and the bought AA cover is, MG's cover only covers the car whereas bought AA cover covers the member in any car, even as a passenger. The MG cover is limited to the UK only, not sure if this applies to the bought AA cover or not.

Yep, all horses for courses of course, some like premium level cover, some do it cheap to suit, myself I look at risk & likelihood, plus VFM and cost out an applicable level of cover. So won't pay a premium when it's not needed hence wasting money.

But MG Assist is the full bhoona AA cover of Roadside, Relay Plus and Home Start, not the limited cover that the likes of Start Rescue offer "from £35". :)
I thought that too until Rescue My Car recently recovered my son from the M4 and transported him and his children (and the car) back to Cambridgeshire. That cost £44 a year with no excess for the call out and was a really good service. His 5 year old was even allowed to press the button that pulled the car onto the truck, which delighted him! I was really surprised at how well the rescue service worked.

ISTR someone mentioning that the AA cover is only for the first 4 years anyway, is that so ?

MG Assist details are here:

I haven't read the linked PDFs in minute detail, but I didn't see anything which limits the duration. (Other than 12 months after invocation - which means after a service as well as after purchase).

From the PDF:
When does the cover start and end?
• From the date the vehicle was first registered with the DVLA, for 12 months

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 529 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video