New MG4 Shipment?

I have just been told I will have my MG4 in a couple of weeks. I ordered it October last year from Dicksons Inverness.
Ordered from them 13th October. Not heard from them since 12th January, when they told me (email) they'd have an update the following week, I haven't been chasing though.

Just to repeat for those that missed it, ordered end September, car arrived in UK mid January, with dealer early Feb, they are holding it over for a March registration due to MG system upgrade, we collect 4th March.

Note: it can take up to 4 weeks for the car to get from the port to the dealer due to strikes, HGV driver shortages etc...

My dealer has been emailing every week with an update since we ordered it. But I had to ask for this.

If your dealer isn't communicating, talk to them and ask them to keep you updated. If they won't, find a better dealer to use once your car is delivered.

We've had dealer confirmation today that our SE LR ordered beginning of Oct is on ship and due at port 6th Feb (guess that matches up with Tarifa info delboy posted above) and expected at dealership approx 2 weeks after.

Now wondering if thats going to be right in the middle of the MG registration system 'updates' but if so we'll just hold off for the March 1st new reg.

Been updated today that ours is now sat at the local dealership, and waiting on its 23 plate! Fingers crossed its a good one...but I may go and get a sneak peek around it before then to make sure there's nothing too obvious from the checklist!

Been updated today that ours is now sat at the local dealership, and waiting on its 23 plate! Fingers crossed its a good one...but I may go and get a sneak peek around it before then to make sure there's nothing too obvious from the checklist!
Also ask for the registration number as the best time to get a quote is within 15 to 29 days of the start of the policy.

Also ask for the registration number as the best time to get a quote is within 15 to 29 days of the start of the policy.
Yes, I am trying to do this although my dealer principal is saying they just register them in order on the day so they don't know which reg will be ours. Attempting some gentle persuasion (I may need to drop in a bottle of something).

Yes, I am trying to do this although my dealer principal is saying they just register them in order on the day so they don't know which reg will be ours. Attempting some gentle persuasion (I may need to drop in a bottle of something).
Depending where you get quotes you don’t always need the registration number until a later date. You do tend get more competitive quotes about 20-30 days before you need cover to start, so always worth a look.
I find gocompare a good place to start. Even if you agreed the plate number before it’s registered it won’t show up on dvla until the date of registration - which in your case will be march, and therefore won’t be picked up by the insurance quote software anyway.

I emailed the dealer and he told me that the car was on a ship called Galaxy Ace. However, that ship left Portbury on 8th February so I don’t think that is right As he said that it was at sea at the moment.

However, the Garnet Ace, which called in at Shanghai, is due to dock at Portbury on 10th March so I reckon that it is on this ship which is due to pass through the Suez Canal.

Fairly easy to get the two names mixed up.

I emailed the dealer and he told me that the car was on a ship called Galaxy Ace. However, that ship left Portbury on 8th February so I don’t think that is right As he said that it was at sea at the moment.

However, the Garnet Ace, which called in at Shanghai, is due to dock at Portbury on 10th March so I reckon that it is on this ship which is due to pass through the Suez Canal.

Fairly easy to get the two names mixed up.
If the ship has left portbury it is at sea, and it does seem to be taking 3-5wk for cars to get from the port to the dealers

I notice that you are Bedfordshire based, as am I. I also have a November order... Can I ask what dealer you dealt with? Mine is Glyn Hopkins MG in Kempston. Due to the current problem of the MG IT software change my dealer has not been able to update me so far this month so I am wondering if I will get the same news as you in the near future?? I have no idea if my order has been built or not...
Hi its Glyn Hopkin in Milton Keynes ordered on the 16/11/22 fingers crossed you don't get the same news 😞

I am beginning to wonder if I should have bought something else instead.
I'm now looking at model 3's (used)

I have previously bought Skodas since VAG took them over and while their estimated delivery times were close +/- 2 weeks and dealer communication was the usual shocking, Head office updates were never this bad. While the Enyaq is a really nice car and the build estimates are 12-18 months, I know someone who ordered an Enyaq was told 14 months and it turned up 13 months. Personally I would not recommend anyone buy an MG, not because of the dealership, but the appalling lack of organisation by MG head office.
I would not trust them to organise a children's party for one child.
I would cancel my order but this will be my last ever new car as I am due to retire in 3 years.

Hi its Glyn Hopkin in Milton Keynes ordered on the 16/11/22 fingers crossed you don't get the same news 😞
Thanks for that. Out of interest how good (or not) did you find the Milton Keynes branch of MG? In case I may need to deal with them at some point - assuming I actually get my MG...

Thanks for that. Out of interest how good (or not) did you find the Milton Keynes branch of MG? In case I may need to deal with them at some point - assuming I actually get my MG...
Well to be honest I ordered the car(mid november), a month later got offered a car in orange (I ordered a blue one ) declined that and then never heard a thing from them until yesterday so I've had very little dealings with them good or bad (we will see how long it takes them to refund my deposit)

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 502 79.4%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back